Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think housing prices will do over the next year or so?
Continue to go up dramatically 14 14.43%
Continue to rise, but at a slower pace 42 43.30%
Level off 15 15.46%
Decline a little 15 15.46%
2008 all over again! 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 12:39 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,329,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
If you have the money, buy as you wish. Many lease or even rent for a weekend to be seen in one. Others lease or buy when it is right at the limit of their budget to be seen in one.

Now the HP is nice but rarely a major issue in normal driving and 4 wheel drive has advantages but again rarely of benefit. If you like it enjoy it.

Crash tests are nice, but there are many less expensive cars that offer good protection.

I am not simply bashing BMW'S rather in most cases their over valuation, as well as the ego driven need that causes many to acquire them.

Note I am heavily involved in the Automotive industry so am not speaking from a lack of knowledge. I have created technology used and specified in most fields, not just automotive.
It's all good

I do spend time (own a 2nd home there) in an area that snows so the all wheel drive was important and is standard equipment on the M40i.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 07:22 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
It's all good

I do spend time (own a 2nd home there) in an area that snows so the all wheel drive was important and is standard equipment on the M40i.
That was a good choice for you. Buying whatever a person can afford and likes is fine, especially if it fits a valid need as in your case. Too many people are not that smart.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:25 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,570,934 times
I rented and glad that I did since I got laid off and had to move for work.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:14 PM

1,600 posts, read 939,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
So all owners of anything better than what you have are insecure? All righty then.

I drove a GMC truck for 8 years and still have it too, I think you better look in the mirror of you are searching for something.
What are you arguing? I'm saying most people who buy items of status (e.g., BMW, Maserati, Coach bags, expensive watches/jewelry, NOT an 8 y/o GMC truck) do so because of their own insecurities. These types of items add no functional value over something less expensive. They want people to think they're important and have money. They want a material thing to make themselves feel big and mighty. Otherwise, why wouldn't they save the money, invest it, or use it to help others?

Old 08-27-2018, 02:22 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,072 times
I know a guy that is really well off and he drives an old Toyota pickup and Ford 500.

You would never know that he’s a millionaire, but one of the main reasons why is so financially well off is because he saved most of his money and bought used and cheap things and not blowing it all on huge car payments and other materialistic things.

He lives thrifty, and that is perfectly ok. But in some rich people’s minds, that would be asinine to them, a blasphemy!!

They’re many people living paycheck to paycheck and drive fancy expensive cars, yet they live in HUD housing or pay crazy amount of rent and don’t own a home. What a waste.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:34 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I know a guy that is really well off and he drives an old Toyota pickup and Ford 500.

You would never know that he’s a millionaire, but one of the main reasons why is so financially well off is because he saved most of his money and bought used and cheap things and not blowing it all on huge car payments and other materialistic things.

He lives thrifty, and that is perfectly ok. But in some rich people’s minds, that would be asinine to them, a blasphemy!!

They’re many people living paycheck to paycheck and drive fancy expensive cars, yet they live in HUD housing or pay crazy amount of rent and don’t own a home. What a waste.
It is almost expected of you if you live in CA.

The problem with Housing, owning VS renting, is more obvious than renting a BMW. Easier than buying a home as the prices go up faster and higher than a car increases and ... cars decrease in value with age and homes do not.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:14 PM

109 posts, read 86,712 times
Already starting to get stagnant compared to a few years ago nationally. This will eventually affect San Diego as well. I don't know if the bubble will burst, but if we let it get out of hand again it could be a problem. History often repeats itself and things go in cycles.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:59 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Once, in the garage of an oceanfront home in La Jolla, I saw a very-well-cared-for '78 Datsun station wagon.

Another time, in the garage of a falling-down shanty in Linda Vista, I saw a brand-new Mercedes Benz.

I drive a nine year old Hyundai with almost 170,000 miles. It still looks great, runs great, I paid $33K for it and was done with payments (at 0.9% IIRC, so it would have been dumb to pay cash!) years ago.

Honestly, in most cases, a car is an inverse indicator of wealth.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:51 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmithMMXVIII View Post
Already starting to get stagnant compared to a few years ago nationally. This will eventually affect San Diego as well. I don't know if the bubble will burst, but if we let it get out of hand again it could be a problem. History often repeats itself and things go in cycles.
It seems to be in 15 year cycles. The housing bubble peeked in 1990 before bursting and then 2005, so the next peak is estimated to be 2020.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:47 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
It seems to be in 15 year cycles. The housing bubble peeked in 1990 before bursting and then 2005, so the next peak is estimated to be 2020.
Perfect. That's when I want to eject outta here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego