Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2020, 12:32 PM

136 posts, read 161,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
New covid-19 deaths, yesterday:

Spain: 52
France: 16
Japan: 15
Canada: 7
UK: 16
Germany: 9
United States (incl SD): 1,290

Population of countries above: 426 million
Population of United States: 328 million
Every country is on a different timeline regarding COVID. According to Johns Hopkins, 5 of the 6 countries you compare to the US actually have higher case fatality rates than the US.

Johns Hopkins also reports a significant number of countries that have a death rate that is higher per capita than the US, including the UK, Spain, France, Italy, Belgium, Sweden, Brazil, Mexico and Chile.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:23 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
^ remem that the USA has ~25% of the total global Covid deaths but ~5% of the global population

Old 08-27-2020, 01:48 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,746,664 times
Quote:
The posts' point is within the subject topic, if you read, "COVID-19 Thread San Diego".

Our national Covid performance has been a failure as other nations of comparable wealth (apples papaya both fruits) are now increasingly opening their economies and stores and schools and enjoying their personal freedoms and have much lower mortality, while we suffer a Failed national response including having citizens shirking their civic public health responsibilities by having like immature children, so my strategy is one of Shaming them and on the other hand, the federal response has been catastrophic with over 180,000 deaths due to non-science/data-driven mixed messaging and lying, political favoritism of supplies, disbanding the pandemic response team on the NSC and ignoring the prior admin's pandemic playbook that worked successfully in last outbreak, and more.
Bro give it a rest. You're seriously obnoxious. What point are you trying to make? Trump sucks? He failed? Ok you've said that, we know your opinion. If we want the numbers we can look up the numbers any time.

Yeah... shaming people works really well to get them to do what you want.

Old 08-27-2020, 02:09 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,179,299 times
Quote:
...Our national Covid performance has been a failure...
I had no idea our local San Diego leaders set National Policy...I'm really learning quite a bit by reading this forum!

Old 08-27-2020, 02:21 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Rules have changed from what i saw on the news last night. They will have one or two weekends of education before they start enforcing it. They interviewed a local who flat out said he wouldn't wear one nor would he pay the $1,000 fine. They mentioned THEY WILL go after people like that as they should.

Good luck.
I seriously doubt any sensible DA would want to prosecute one of these people to what the proverbial "fullest extent possible" allows. Even just a fine, nah. Who wouldn't fight that ticket? You'd have to be dumb not to given the breadth and vagueness of allowable exemptions to wearing one. No city, county or even the state wants to be ground zero for a potentially protracted legal battle over something as silly as masks.

Should people wear them and voluntarily comply with the orders as best they can? Of course. But there's nothing to gain from LE and prosecutors going full gestapo over it except to create martyrs for the anti-mask cause.

Old 08-27-2020, 02:23 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
^ remem that the USA has ~25% of the total global Covid deaths but ~5% of the global population

Yep. As I said, apple, meet papaya. This comparison has no relevance or meaning.

Take a first year statistics class and get back to me.

Old 08-27-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Yep. As I said, apple, meet papaya. This comparison has no relevance or meaning.

Take a first year statistics class and get back to me.
do teach, you, rather than a trust-me-dismissal as you do

Old 08-27-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
I had no idea our local San Diego leaders set National Policy...I'm really learning quite a bit by reading this forum!
national policy (inclusive of sd) is set by the so-called potus, but in this case now, he takes no responsibility at all; in the days of yore when amerika was great, the buck stopped at the oval office (Harry Effin Truman); we could use a man like FDR (not herbert hoover) again

Old 08-27-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Bro give it a rest. You're seriously obnoxious. What point are you trying to make? Trump sucks? He failed? Ok you've said that, we know your opinion. If we want the numbers we can look up the numbers any time.

Yeah... shaming people works really well to get them to do what you want.
To answer your question yet again, the posts' point is that
Our national Covid performance has been a failure as other nations of comparable wealth (apples papaya both fruits) are now increasingly opening their economies and stores and schools and enjoying their personal freedoms and have much lower mortality, while we suffer a Failed national response including having citizens shirking their civic public health responsibilities by having like immature children, so my strategy is one of Shaming them (other strategies such as science-driven from experts seem not to work) and on the other hand, the federal response has been catastrophic with over 180,000 deaths due to non-science/data-driven mixed messaging and lying, political favoritism of supplies, disbanding the pandemic response team on the NSC and ignoring the prior admin's pandemic playbook that worked successfully in last outbreak, and more.
Brah, you may seem to care what I say including the latest relevant numbers, as alternative is to ignore me, but you can't quit me.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:11 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
do teach, you, rather than a trust-me-dismissal as you do
The problem with raw numbers is that they don’t tell the whole story, statistics wise. The US may very well be far behind all other nations. However, you have to drill down into the data to get the real picture.

This virus affects the older people and/or people with underlying conditions more than others that are young and healthy. You have to break it down by age group, underlying conditions, etc, to start with.

Hypothetically, say there’s some country of 20 million people and half are over 80 with underlying conditions. 1/2 of the group over 80 get the virus and die from it. So now you have 5 million dead in that country.

Then you have a country of 100 million. Half of them are under 30 and healthy. All of them get the virus and survive.

If you look at the raw numbers, you could say the smaller country has all of the deaths and the larger has none. Something must be wrong with the smaller country. They have 100% of the total COVID deaths in the sample, but less than 17% of the population.

It’s an extreme example, but unless you drill down to see if there’s something going on you don’t know for sure. Maybe we’re doing better than you think, maybe worse.

And all this has nothing to do with San Diego. I’m also puzzled by your shaming strategy. Do you really think someone who’s not wearing a mask or doing something else you deem immature is going to go out and say to themselves “damn, Bloom said our national policy sucks, so I better straighten up”?

But you got to be you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego