Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2020, 08:05 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Why troubling? Seems reinfection while unknown likely uncommon. Also unknown is length of immunity to vaccine or infection: months years decades
It may come down to a yearly booster like a flu shot. We’ll see but the Moderna vaccine looks promising for distribution since regular refrigeration is almost that’s needed.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:43 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Also unknown is length of immunity to vaccine or infection: months years decades

Some evidence suggests the guy in Nevada was infected by two different strains. The first one was mild, the second one put him in the hospital. The incidents were within a couple months of each other with confirmed negative tests in between.

So like Mike said, does this then become a flu shot and how effective is it for each new strain? We only get like 40% effectiveness from annual flu vaccines. More to the point, what's troubling is if that's the case, should we expect isolated shut downs every year as covid season peaks? Maybe there's nothing to worry about here because you're right in that reinfection seems rare, but it stands to reason it's possible as the virus mutates. There's at least one confirmation that might've happened already.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:51 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Some evidence suggests the guy in Nevada was infected by two different strains. The first one was mild, the second one put him in the hospital. The incidents were within a couple months of each other with confirmed negative tests in between.

So like Mike said, does this then become a flu shot and how effective is it for each new strain? We only get like 40% effectiveness from annual flu vaccines. More to the point, what's troubling is if that's the case, should we expect isolated shut downs every year as covid season peaks? Maybe there's nothing to worry about here because you're right in that reinfection seems rare, but it stands to reason it's possible as the virus mutates. There's at least one confirmation that might've happened already.
They were discussing the Moderna vaccine tests on the radio yesterday. They had 30,000 people. 95 of those developed COVID. Of the 95, 90 were given a placebo. That sounds pretty effective, understanding this is preliminary.

They’re using messenger RNA, which is new technology. One article I read said it was a pretty big breakthrough that could end up saving millions from illnesses. If there’s a new strain, this will likely prove as effective.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:24 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
35% more people have died from COVID in the other SD, South Dakota, than South Korea. The population of SD and SK is <1M and >50M, respectively. Failed national and state responses here
USA is increasing with over 250k deaths, approaching 2000! deaths per day (think about that), 1% actively infected.

Last edited by bloom; 11-18-2020 at 08:02 PM..

Old 11-18-2020, 07:44 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
35% more people have died from COVID in the other SD, South Dakota, than South Korea. The population of SD and SK is <1M and >50M, respectively. Failed national and state responses here
Probably, the South Koreans are injecting disinfectants and drinking hydroxychloroquine every morning .... gargling bleach after brushing.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:51 AM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
COVID sure is gaining steam. A shame it has become political, but it has.

San Diegan's are LUCKY to live in a place where we can go outside all year 'round. (Altho, since UV is said to kill this virus, I wonder if this factor is "lessened" because of the Winter sun angle, and duration.)

Anyway, back to COVID-19.

Another thought... it seems to me that human's have developed "UV lamps" for various purposes. Could these be installed INDOORS to "kill" the virus indoors? Or, would the long term exposure to UV be worse that COVID?
You know, if we could kill the virus BEFORE it gets to the next person when indoors, this could be a game changer. Or, would this not work?
Your thoughts~

Old 11-19-2020, 09:27 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
COVID sure is gaining steam. A shame it has become political, but it has.

San Diegan's are LUCKY to live in a place where we can go outside all year 'round. (Altho, since UV is said to kill this virus, I wonder if this factor is "lessened" because of the Winter sun angle, and duration.)

Anyway, back to COVID-19.

Another thought... it seems to me that human's have developed "UV lamps" for various purposes. Could these be installed INDOORS to "kill" the virus indoors? Or, would the long term exposure to UV be worse that COVID?
You know, if we could kill the virus BEFORE it gets to the next person when indoors, this could be a game changer. Or, would this not work?
Your thoughts~
May I suggest you read this link from the US FDA very carefully, thoroughly, and thoughtfully:

UV Lights and Lamps: Ultraviolet-C Radiation, Disinfection, and Coronavirus
https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/...nd-coronavirus

Old 11-19-2020, 10:38 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post

Your thoughts~

In the schools I work at, the big portable air purifiers are the UV type so basically anything that passes through them is hit by the light but the point is filtration. The UV could just be for looks, I don't know. Filtration was a key part of the comprehensive recommendations UCSD scientists made when the district sought input. Directly bathing an area in UV isn't really necessary and nowhere do I remember seeing it suggested. Considering the intensity needed, the eye strain alone would make lighting an area impractical.

Air circulation is the big thing, followed by the deep cleaning which is done daily for the surfaces. I'm sure if the data showed high touch surfaces to be the bigger transmitter, that's where the focus would be.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:03 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
Feeling bummed that I have to suffer for all the idiots that didn't pay attention to the virus and downplayed the danger of it. Now people's lives are demolished and the economy is in shambles.

AND people are still acting like idiots.

With the holidays approaching maybe we should all drink Kool Aid while everyone else defies logic and pleading which WE KNOW will happen.

Anyone want to wager what the death rate will be right after 2021 ????

Thanks to my fellow Americans.

Old 11-19-2020, 02:25 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Feeling bummed that I have to suffer for all the idiots that didn't pay attention to the virus and downplayed the danger of it. Now people's lives are demolished and the economy is in shambles.

AND people are still acting like idiots.

s.
in the days of olde, the buck stopped with the Potus, but despite knowing and admitting to bob woodward in first half of this year that the virus is air contagious and deadly, trump took no responsibility at all, stating "*I wanted to always play it down. I still like playing it down."
Failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego