Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2020, 07:22 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
As of Monday, they’re reopening beaches for swimming, surfing, kayaking and paddle boarding.

As of May 1st, masks will be required when you’re outside and are expected to be within 6 feet of a non-household member.

https://www.10news.com/news/local-ne...opening-monday

https://www.10news.com/news/local-ne...ng-requirement
Interesting did they ever test the water to see if there are any traces of Covid 19 in the water?
whether the “scientists” who raised alarm about Covid 19 in the water was a real threat?
Apparently two days after that articles were published in local news sources and surf-riders foundation the health department determined water activities were too dangerous and must be banned and stopped boat owners from sailing their boats from their docks as well. Maybe the forecasted weeks of rain which would cause a lot to run off of sewage also played a role? Though I be curious any tests done on the water. If indeed this is a legit concern wouldn’t there be a close window advisory as well? Maybe encourage people to exercise inland as well. Though I do wish people who do water activities or any type of outdoor exercise would respectably not spit. Apparently there has been coastal neighborhood complaints of people with surfboards spitting on the sand or on the streets repeatedly while the remaining beaches were open with their parking lots closed. Which I used to witness as well from time to time. Interestingly no areas decided to crackdown on this behavior which were done in the past.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:35 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Some scientists thought Covid-19 was floating on the surface of the water like lily pads or what?

Old 04-24-2020, 07:49 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Some scientists thought Covid-19 was floating on the surface of the water like lily pads or what?
Of course not. It’s more like fire ants.

Attached Thumbnails
COVID-19 Thread San Diego-55a57098-5763-4d5c-8d93-a7fd4135aa85.jpeg  

Old 04-24-2020, 07:50 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Reg crowded water beach misty potential transmission, let's track Florida (and GA) where the beaches were opened for a couple weeks or so prior to SD

Old 04-26-2020, 12:47 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Interestingly I would like to ask whether its more of an issue in San Diego county than Orange county?

Is it because of the Tijuana River and other runoffs? And that an atmospheric river of heavy rain was brewing in the Pacific? And that Orange county has no runoffs?

It wasn't about crowds at that time as there was hardly anyone on still open beaches as it hardly was beach weather on those weeks. The two cities that heldout were already going well beyond the County's health guidelines which allowed beaches to open with social distancing and blocked parking lot access. Thus they don't ever need permission to keep beaches open. Though they decided to shut them down completely on April 5 after the article came out from UCSD which went viral on news networks throughout Socal.

But there are no close window advisory in conjunction since sea spray was also a problem. In this case wouldn't coastal residents be encouraged to wear a mask first before exercising or going outside or best of all head inland if possible to do errands and exercise?

The state blocked off beaches completely within 25 miles of San Diego but allow state beaches to stay accessible with parking lots closed north of San Clemente.

Though the article that went viral about COVID 19 in the water seem to have scared many people from going to the beach in SoCal whether they were sneaking past closures as they were reported doing in and around San Diego for the first week of closure or at an open beach i.e Coronado, the state beaches, Oceanside, or up in Orange County for that matter.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 04-26-2020 at 01:00 PM..

Old 04-26-2020, 05:44 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Ok, if you want to shave your head or keep it tight that’s one thing. Some of us actually like to look good.

Full disclosure. I cut mine close back in college and I quickly realized my head is too lumpy (and scared) to pull it off. This is when bald men didn’t shave their heads yet. I’m so glad I haven’t gone bald. I’d be calling Dr. Bosley if I did.
No I just watched what the barber did and do it myself. As if cutting hair is rocket science.

Full disclosure: Ive cut it in the dark with no mirror. Nobody said a thing after.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:03 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Interesting did they ever test the water to see if there are any traces of Covid 19 in the water?
whether the “scientists” who raised alarm about Covid 19 in the water was a real threat?
Apparently two days after that articles were published in local news sources and surf-riders foundation the health department determined water activities were too dangerous and must be banned and stopped boat owners from sailing their boats from their docks as well. Maybe the forecasted weeks of rain which would cause a lot to run off of sewage also played a role? Though I be curious any tests done on the water. If indeed this is a legit concern wouldn’t there be a close window advisory as well? Maybe encourage people to exercise inland as well. Though I do wish people who do water activities or any type of outdoor exercise would respectably not spit. Apparently there has been coastal neighborhood complaints of people with surfboards spitting on the sand or on the streets repeatedly while the remaining beaches were open with their parking lots closed. Which I used to witness as well from time to time. Interestingly no areas decided to crackdown on this behavior which were done in the past.
Mask law... great... when the cop writes a ticket, he violates social distance rules. He thinks he is protected when i hand him his cite book back with rubber gloves, but touches them when he takes them off and touches his face with them as he adjusts his stupid mask repeatedly.
And if i refuse to sign he can take me to jail where i can pick up the bug or take it in, a vector for every zip code.
And there is little conclusive evidence the bug remains airborne for any length of time.
So we all play this silly "we are all in this together" game of lemmings doing the one thing we know makes us sick. Touching our faces to put on masks. Scratching our faces because the godddamn mask is itchy.

Goddamn they just outlawed common sense.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:45 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,233,865 times
Ok, so I went to the city website sandiego.gov and couldn't find anything about face masks on May 1.

I went to the county website and found the health order
https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/conte...er.html#update

Quote:
Latest health order changes announced
Starting Monday, April 27, the following will be allowed in the ocean and bays: swimming, surfing, paddelboarding and kayaking. Recreational boating is still banned.

However, each city is responsible for deciding whether to open its beaches. Check before visiting. Beach parking lots need to remain closed.

Starting May 1, the County is hoping to relax more restrictions for parks and golf courses if they can enforce social distancing. Operators of a park or golf course need to create and post a plan for how they will do that.

Social distancing and safety templates for Parks & Beaches | Golf Courses

If they maintain social distancing:

Parks can reopen parking lots, with limitations.
Park visitors can sit, lie down, picnic if they practice social distancing.
Members of a family or household can play active sports, such as basketball.
Starting May 1, everyone must wear face coverings anywhere in public they come within 6 feet of another person.
But, can the county issue a health order for areas within San Diego CITY limits?

And when reading this county health order it says:
Quote:
What the orders mean
Everyone needs to stay home except to take care of essential needs or go to an essential job.
Practice social distancing. Keep at least six feet away from other people unless they’re household members. Avoid gatherings of any size.
You should wear a face covering when leaving home. Cloth facial coverings don’t have to be medical grade but should cover your nose and mouth. Homemade masks, bandanas, scarves and neck gaiters are OK since you can wash and reuse them. Learn how to make a face covering.
It is strongly recommended you stay home, unless you need medical care, if:
You are over 65 years old
Have a chronic underlying health condition
Have a compromised immune system
Have mild to moderate symptoms of COVID-19
If you are only allowed to go out for *essential stuff*, then parks and trails shouldn't be open at all right?

Seems like there is conflicting info.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:15 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
And there is little conclusive evidence the bug remains airborne for any length of time.
I suppose you missed this study.

Aerosol and Surface Stability of SARS-CoV-2 as Compared with SARS-CoV-1

There is solid evidence for how long SARS-CoV-2 remains in the air.

From the study: SARS-CoV-2 remained viable in aerosols throughout the duration of our experiment (3 hours), with a reduction in infectious titer from 103.5 to 102.7 TCID50 per liter of air. This reduction was similar to that observed with SARS-CoV-1, from 104.3 to 103.5 TCID50 per milliliter (See Figure 1A from the study).

Old 04-27-2020, 11:32 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Ok, so I went to the city website sandiego.gov and couldn't find anything about face masks on May 1.

I went to the county website and found the health order
https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/conte...er.html#update

But, can the county issue a health order for areas within San Diego CITY limits?

And when reading this county health order it says:

If you are only allowed to go out for *essential stuff*, then parks and trails shouldn't be open at all right?

Seems like there is conflicting info.
There’s definitely conflicting info, but they said exercising was allowed. So maybe trails could be considered exercise if you’re hiking?

Maybe as they ease restrictions, some orders will conflict with others.

Lots of maybes and conjecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego