Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2020, 05:28 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,699,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I consider myself fortunate through all this. I'm working on site 50% and remotely 50% so I'm not stir crazy. It is great motoring around San Diego with fewer cars.

If I have to whine a little.

My workout schedule is severely hampered. I'm doing bands and walks and runs. The pavement is killing my feet and ankles. I'm a free weight and treadmill kind of guy.

I need a haircut badly.

I miss sitting down at a restaurant with a drink and food.
I could stand it anymore, so I gave myself a haircut this morning.

Oh my.

Remember Charlie Sheen's character in Major League... Wild Thing.

Yep. That's my new name.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:33 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post

Oh my.

Yep. That's my new name.
LOL. At least you tried.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:45 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Quote:
The stock market gave me a nice haircut. It will grow back.

Sold all my Tesla stock today. Didn't want to be a pig.

The profits will pay for my new ugly Cybertruck. Or maybe the new Hummer EV.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:29 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,363 times
Quote:

Oh my.

Yep. That's my new name.
LOL. Newbies!

I lost a job around 1998, needed to live frugally so spent $20 on a pair of wahl clippers.
It usually turns out well.

22 years x about 15 cuts a year times about $20 with tip. $6,600.00.

Stupid not to.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:35 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
LOL. Newbies!

I lost a job around 1998, needed to live frugally so spent $20 on a pair of wahl clippers.
It usually turns out well.

22 years x about 15 cuts a year times about $20 with tip. $6,600.00.

Stupid not to.
Ok, if you want to shave your head or keep it tight that’s one thing. Some of us actually like to look good.

Full disclosure. I cut mine close back in college and I quickly realized my head is too lumpy (and scared) to pull it off. This is when bald men didn’t shave their heads yet. I’m so glad I haven’t gone bald. I’d be calling Dr. Bosley if I did.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:43 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
I am curious whether the real reason for full beach closure, after parking was already blocked, was just so that the cities can send most lifeguards home instead of having a full staff on the beach to enforce social distancing on beaches. Given lifeguards are less protected sitting on those towers and some five of them already got infected or tested positive. I guess wearing masks won’t work they as are often trying to speak clearly on the PA and that they fear they might get infected by people on the beach who are positive and Who might sneeze into the breeze? In addition to the concerns that the runoff into the ocean is being sprayed in the air. I heard in Hawaii water activities are still allowed just no laying down or setting up picnics on the beach. However it’s done at users own risk as there are no lifeguards on duty.
I hope in either case the lifeguards get paid or compensated leave for the time they are unable to work.

I be curious whether some lifeguards are still temped to surf dawn patrol these days. And Would they be disciplined if found out doing it?

It’s interesting how Huntington Beach in Orange County continues to allow beach access.
Yet despite being among the few holdouts in a metro area of millions of people there isn’t much if any crowding based on beach cams I see. Do they still make their lifeguards go on towers during the day? I know they are the home of the tea party and among the rare cities to overturn their bag ban and fee policies.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:38 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Time to start slowly opening up the city and country. I get that large crowds, concerts, plays, baseball and hockey games, the fair and gay pride have to be cancelled but open up businesses where social distancing can be maintained. Even bars and restaurants will, when they slowly start opening later, have a new, less dense environment with some folks undoubtedly wearing masks but let’s at least get there! I can’t stand Trump but I will give him credit for acknowledging that this country is not meant to be shut down.

We are amongst the rare folks that are, other than the psychological weirdness of it all, utterly unaffected in the big picture with stable income, paid off house, cars, healthy reserve fund and no debt. If anybody should be a Karen spouting off to the minions out there to stay home to protect us it should be us but folks got to work.

The shelter in place, mask, washing hands rules were put in place for one thing, to flatten the curve of expected infections to not overwhelm limited medical resources to treat the few that need it (well the increased hand washing, less aggressive physical touching- I’m one of them, can be socially implemented). We’ve smartly achieved that. The virus will still sweep through populations, it will affect a few people with little, moderate, grave symptoms and sometimes fatal consequences. There will be flair ups later even if we do our supposed best by trying to limit it, probably mutations, more infections and a few more deaths and in a year or so before a vaccine. The virus will not however change from the tiny fraction of a percentage mortality and severe illness rate that it ever has. We’ve founded a capitalist society and we’ve got to let people participate in it as we’ve all been trained in one way or another to do so.

It absolutely will be a changed society, in some ways forever, but we can’t crush it.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:28 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Time to start slowly opening up the city and country. I get that large crowds, concerts, plays, baseball and hockey games, the fair and gay pride have to be cancelled but open up businesses where social distancing can be maintained. Even bars and restaurants will, when they slowly start opening later, have a new, less dense environment with some folks undoubtedly wearing masks but let’s at least get there! I can’t stand Trump but I will give him credit for acknowledging that this country is not meant to be shut down.
The economy, as we knew it, is ruined.

If you're on your own when the government shuts down the economy, guess what, you're on your own whether you're sick or not. People need to work to survive or the government needs to intervene. Loans and stimulus checks are not going to be nearly enough. There are 12 cases in my zip code of 24,000 people. I understand we want to do everything we can to save lives but that time has come and gone. Our hospitals are not overwhelmed. There is another way to handle this without shutting down the economy indefinitely - just look at what other rich countries have done. In the end the USA would have been better off shutting down the economy, waiving debt, rent and interest expenses during the shut down, pay the workers directly to avoid the massive welfare crisis we're about to create.

This will go down in history as the biggest failure of government and global world leadership in history. It's time to seriously re-examine the security of this country. It turns out the USA's lack of health and economic security is the biggest risk to the entire globe. Trump has gotten nearly everything wrong with this crisis except one thing - he's absolutely correct that the cure is going to be much, much worse than the disease.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:42 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
The economy, as we knew it, is ruined.

If you're on your own when the government shuts down the economy, guess what, you're on your own whether you're sick or not. People need to work to survive or the government needs to intervene. Loans and stimulus checks are not going to be nearly enough. There are 12 cases in my zip code of 24,000 people. I understand we want to do everything we can to save lives but that time has come and gone. Our hospitals are not overwhelmed. There is another way to handle this without shutting down the economy indefinitely - just look at what other rich countries have done. In the end the USA would have been better off shutting down the economy, waiving debt, rent and interest expenses during the shut down, pay the workers directly to avoid the massive welfare crisis we're about to create.

This will go down in history as the biggest failure of government and global world leadership in history. It's time to seriously re-examine the security of this country. It turns out the USA's lack of health and economic security is the biggest risk to the entire globe. Trump has gotten nearly everything wrong with this crisis except one thing - he's absolutely correct that the cure is going to be much, much worse than the disease.
The time has come to reopen. They toll has been less than expected and you can’t keep everything shut down for months to come. Of course the response will be it’s lower because we shut down. Maybe so, but that doesn’t change the fact we need to reopen. Now.

Maybe it’s time for protests to start here.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:50 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
The time has come to reopen. They toll has been less than expected and you can’t keep everything shut down for months to come. Of course the response will be it’s lower because we shut down. Maybe so, but that doesn’t change the fact we need to reopen. Now.

Maybe it’s time for protests to start here.
Protest what exactly? Lets go back to our jobs producing products that there is no longer demand for? Lets all go mob restaurants and potentially catch a deadly disease? My office is open but I sure as hell aren't setting foot in it. The only thing worth protesting for is getting a bigger welfare check. These jobs ain't coming back with or without COVID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego