Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 11:38 AM

332 posts, read 632,547 times

Advertisements

This year is shot, so time to start pressuring the powers that be to make sure that they are coming up with a plan so that kids and parents who want to actually experience a relatively 'new' normal school year in 4 months can do so.

All SD County school districts need to do what they need to do to make it safer, including but not limited to:

- foot 'handles' for doors
- automatic water and hand dryers in bathrooms
- sanitizer dispensers in EVERY room and also placed liberally outside, with portable dispensers taken out to fields for sports
- can modify some sports equipment, like adding plastic shields (already a thing) to every football helmet, etc

But we HAVE to get our kids back to school AND sports.

For those of you who have a problem with that...home school your kids or don't let them play sports.

But I will be protesting by myself if I have to come early August if these plans are not ready to be in place.

Some people's fear should not infringe upon other people's rights.

#washyourhands
#donttouchyourface
#backtoschool
#backtosports
#letusliveagain
#prochoice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 12:07 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
I wonder if timing will be tricky.
Otoh, maybe summer time will show a decrease in cases.
Otoh, maybe expectations of a second wave in fall winter.
Seems both virus and antibody testing may be major key enabler, but yet the Feds and Nation continue to fail so badly in this essential category

Old 04-23-2020, 12:39 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanacus View Post
This year is shot, so time to start pressuring the powers that be to make sure that they are coming up with a plan so that kids and parents who want to actually experience a relatively 'new' normal school year in 4 months can do so.

All SD County school districts need to do what they need to do to make it safer, including but not limited to:

- foot 'handles' for doors
- automatic water and hand dryers in bathrooms
- sanitizer dispensers in EVERY room and also placed liberally outside, with portable dispensers taken out to fields for sports
- can modify some sports equipment, like adding plastic shields (already a thing) to every football helmet, etc

But we HAVE to get our kids back to school AND sports.

For those of you who have a problem with that...home school your kids or don't let them play sports.

But I will be protesting by myself if I have to come early August if these plans are not ready to be in place.

Some people's fear should not infringe upon other people's rights.

#washyourhands
#donttouchyourface
#backtoschool
#backtosports
#letusliveagain
#prochoice
Did you listen to the Governor’s speech? Foot handles, hand sanitizers, automated sinks, and modifying sports equipment would be the least of my concerns if I had kids in school right now. How about how are they going to social distance classrooms? They can’t without reducing class size which means staggering start times and having more hours, and possible day(s) learning at home.

Kids will be staying/sent home at the slightest hint of illness too. That may not be a bad thing, but a huge headache for parents. I can count on both hands the number of days I missed growing up. If it’s going to be like they’re suggesting I would’ve missed at least that every year.

I wouldn’t be counting on organized sports starting back up for kids anytime soon either? I’d love to be wrong, but I just don’t see school districts taking on that liability (and expense) right now. If for some reason they do, it’ll be a logistical nightmare when some students have already gone home for the day but now need to return for practice? What about start times for practice/games as the school day will inevitably run longer now?

I get your frustrations, but unfortunately it’s not as simple as home school your kid and/or keep them out of sports if you don’t like it. This upcoming school year (and maybe beyond?) will not resemble what school was like before. Sorry, but I think you’re being very wishful if you think it is.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:15 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,701,984 times
I want my kids to be able to go back to a "normal" school experience, as much for learning as for the social aspects.

I'm just not sure how that's going to happen.

I've heard of some proposals of having staggered start schedules which is basically a morning session for half the school and then an afternoon session for the other half. I just don't see how that would work considering so many parents work and need schools as a daycare also.

This whole "distance learning" thing is crap too. I have 3 kids at 3 different schools. It's quite interesting to see how the different schools/grade levels/principals produce different distance learning programs.

I'm rather impressed with the DL program for my oldest, but her school is private so it's somewhat easier for that school to produce and dictate the DL program. The DL program for my youngest is ok, but the program for middle child in jr. high is garbage. She hardly has any work to do, and rarely has a zoom interface. The teachers have pretty much completely checked out.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:40 PM

332 posts, read 632,547 times
As far as social distancing kids in school...why? Kids are not dying in droves...in fact they are hardly dying at all (when you look at the stats out of the nearly 50K who have died...still mostly the old and sick).

We need to move on with life. If you have an old or compromised person in the same house as a student, yes, it will be riskier, but there are risks in life. I am willing to risk getting sick (common cold, flu, or COVID-19) if my kids can continue to live how they are accustomed to.

We have to assume there will never be a vaccine and this will be with us forever. The 2020 seniors already got screwed (not much we could do about that), but I do not want the 2021 or 2022 classes to meet the same fate.

Therefore all we can do is do our best...washing hands, not touching our faces, not leaving home if sick, putting your mouth in the crook of your elbow if you have to cough for some reason or have an allergy-induced sneeze, fist-bumping (or head nodding or bowing) instead of shaking hands, and not 'close-talking' or yelling or spitting near others, etc.

And if we do all of that we will still lose people every year, but eventually, we will have developed a herd immunity and all will be good for the most part.

Getting sick is part of life. Nobody likes being sick, or having the flu (I've felt near death and it sucked), and nobody wants to get a bad case of a corona virus (my sister's young family all had it and were fine), but it is what it is.

Oh...and most importantly...BE HEALTHY, EAT HEALTHY, DRINK HEALTHY, GET REST, GET SUN, GET EXERCISE, STAY MENTALLY HEALTHY, etc.

If you do none of those, I don't feel a bit sorry for you if you get a bad case of it. We must keep our immune systems up.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:00 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
^ Spartie, do you understand the essential role of testing in this process Or you do not understand at all ?

Old 04-23-2020, 06:37 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
As far as social distancing kids in school...why? Kids are not dying in droves...in fact they are hardly dying at all (when you look at the stats out of the nearly 50K who have died...still mostly the old and sick).

We need to move on with life. If you have an old or compromised person in the same house as a student, yes, it will be riskier, but there are risks in life. I am willing to risk getting sick (common cold, flu, or COVID-19) if my kids can continue to live how they are accustomed to.

We have to assume there will never be a vaccine and this will be with us forever. The 2020 seniors already got screwed (not much we could do about that), but I do not want the 2021 or 2022 classes to meet the same fate.

Therefore all we can do is do our best...washing hands, not touching our faces, not leaving home if sick, putting your mouth in the crook of your elbow if you have to cough for some reason or have an allergy-induced sneeze, fist-bumping (or head nodding or bowing) instead of shaking hands, and not 'close-talking' or yelling or spitting near others, etc.

And if we do all of that we will still lose people every year, but eventually, we will have developed a herd immunity and all will be good for the most part.

Getting sick is part of life. Nobody likes being sick, or having the flu (I've felt near death and it sucked), and nobody wants to get a bad case of a corona virus (my sister's young family all had it and were fine), but it is what it is.

Oh...and most importantly...BE HEALTHY, EAT HEALTHY, DRINK HEALTHY, GET REST, GET SUN, GET EXERCISE, STAY MENTALLY HEALTHY, etc.

If you do none of those, I don't feel a bit sorry for you if you get a bad case of it. We must keep our immune systems up.
So I’ll take that as a no about hearing Newsom’s speech about reopening schools?

Newsom said the main challenge in reopening schools is how to ensure physical distancing among students and adults. That, he said, might require schools implementing staggered schedules, with some students coming in the morning and others in the afternoon. Students would not be able to congregate during mealtimes. Other school activities that involve larger groups, such as assemblies, physical education and recess would have to be reformed.

It’s not about kids dying in droves, but bringing the virus home to those at risk.

“We need to get our kids back to school, I need to get my kids back to school, we need to get our kids educated and we need to deal with kids’ mental health and that of their parents,” he said. “But we need to do it in a safe way, so that kids are not going to school, getting infected and coming back home and infecting grandma and grandpa,” Newsom said during his daily press briefing on the state’s response to the coronavirus.

https://edsource.org/2020/when-calif...are-run/629084

Old 04-23-2020, 07:34 PM

274 posts, read 318,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
^ Spartie, do you understand the essential role of testing in this process Or you do not understand at all ?
At this point, similar to what Spartie said about a vaccine never coming, perhaps we have to assume that we'll never get sufficient virus and antibody testing? I see no reason to think that even in the next decade we'll be able to scale up appropriately to test the quantities of people we need to.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:41 PM

274 posts, read 318,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I want my kids to be able to go back to a "normal" school experience, as much for learning as for the social aspects.

I'm just not sure how that's going to happen.

I've heard of some proposals of having staggered start schedules which is basically a morning session for half the school and then an afternoon session for the other half. I just don't see how that would work considering so many parents work and need schools as a daycare also.

This whole "distance learning" thing is crap too. I have 3 kids at 3 different schools. It's quite interesting to see how the different schools/grade levels/principals produce different distance learning programs.

I'm rather impressed with the DL program for my oldest, but her school is private so it's somewhat easier for that school to produce and dictate the DL program. The DL program for my youngest is ok, but the program for middle child in jr. high is garbage. She hardly has any work to do, and rarely has a zoom interface. The teachers have pretty much completely checked out.
I was wondering about private schools and how they were handling this. I would assume a lot of folks will not keep paying huge tuition for a distance learning (homeschool) program? Seems like a good chunk of what folks pay for private school for (peer group, religious component, extracurricular's, etc.) are lost when they start doing DL. Only thing I could see is for high school, perhaps you still get that leg up for college admissions with an elite school background and alumni networks? I can't imagine shelling out a private school tuition for early education. The private grade schools without huge endowments may start really struggling to stay afloat.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:08 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:

Why do you think there will NEVER be a vaccine? They are probably working on one at the most feverish (pun not intended) pace in human history.....I know that's no guarantee but still....I wonder in the 50s if they thought that of polio as well.

And it won't be with us forever. Even bubonic plague petered out in an era with almost no medicine at all, let alone the possibility of vaccines, though it did take several years and did come back (but not until 300 years later). I would seriously be surprised if no matter what its more than just an isolated thing a year from now, that's a longer time than you think, remember we've only been under lockdowns for about a month and a half. Heck, 2 1/2 months ago was the Super Bowl and I think no one imagined where we'd be now, so I that sense despite the best of (usually pessimistic) guesses we won't know where we are with this 2 1/2 months forward either (which is around July 4).

SARS (which this is a "cousin" of, but I'll admit a lot more transmissable, and unlike SARS can be asymptomatic and transmit from an asymptomatic carrier) was pretty much completely gone within a year. Even Ebola is only regional. We'll get past this one way or another too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego