Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 03:50 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,805,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I don't think you are. My guess is that the seniors will stay on. Juniors probably will too, but maybe take a year off. A larger than normal number of sophomores may transfer to universities closer to their home areas. But the freshmen will be tough - - there could be a good number who delay entry. I think this will be a sparse freshman class.

I will say this, though: I think your daughter is in an excellent position to go to her dream school. I'd be super excited if I were an incoming high school senior this year, or even a graduating senior. There are going to be fewer international students and many more students who are going to do a year at community college (which I'm guessing could have record attendance, as long as the funding is there - - the Great Recession had crazy numbers of students going to community college). Colleges are going to be throwing out acceptance letters like crazy next year. I'm guessing that students are going to be able to get into schools an echelon or two above where they could have gotten into pre-Coronavirus. There are always winners and losers to every event, and while I feel bad for seniors who had their last year in high school hijacked, they could reap rewards when it comes to college.
Most have gotten their rejection or acceptance letters to those upper upper echelon schools by now. And there are options at least that I remember where you can defer admission.

Last edited by eastcoastbias; 04-27-2020 at 04:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
The contracts would have to all be renegotiated to add extra hours, etc. so that alone is a big hurdle for districts if they wanted to go this route. Campuses can't remain open for extra hours without the support staff too. It opens a big can of worms to try to reinvent the education wheel. Maybe it will happen, I can't say for sure it won't. But for the time being, schools have poured a lot of resources into distance learning materials which is a big indicator that this isn't geared for just the short term.

And while remote classrooms suck, and there's no replacement for the social aspect of the true school experience, it's an acceptable stop gap measure, the alternative being nothing at all.
Is it that significant? If it is I think you would be more than financially covered with cuts that would probably take place.

I hate talking about layoffs but you could layoff academic support staff and other non essential business services personnel. Athletic funding would be cut by a big margin, just with someone I know I have a friend that was a Spring Athletic Coach, he didn't receive a stipend and the school didn't fund its athletic programs this Spring.

Lastly, I would imagine distance learning would reduce the high cost of per pupil spending that takes place.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:25 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Most have gotten their rejection or acceptance letters to those upper upper echelon schools by now. And there are options at least that I remember where you can defer admission.
They have - - but they were planning on getting a lot of kids from China, India, Japan, and tons of other countries. That may not happen now. Smart universities might read the tea leaves and write back to some of those denied admissions and say, "actually, you may be Stanford material!"

Old 04-27-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
They have - - but they were planning on getting a lot of kids from China, India, Japan, and tons of other countries. That may not happen now. Smart universities might read the tea leaves and write back to some of those denied admissions and say, "actually, you may be Stanford material!"
They will probably start at the waitlist to fill 2020 Fall. I imagine more than ever there will be an influx of accepted students that will defer admission. So how do you react to 2021 class when this (When COVID is hopefully a non issue in 2021)? You have "seats" taken already in 2021 with students that have deferred admission in 2020. 2021 could be highly competitive.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:16 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Is it that significant? If it is I think you would be more than financially covered with cuts that would probably take place.

As a percentage of what it takes to keep the doors open at an actual school, I'm sure it's significantly less. I didn't mean that the districts poured tons of money into DL materials, I meant they didn't just send kids home with two weeks worth of busy work. For SDUSD (and I'm sure this was the same elsewhere), the original goal was along the lines of closing the schools to let any potential virus die off, then deep clean, then reopen after Spring Break as normal. That quickly morphed into something else, and now it's unofficially official that the school year is done. Well before the original deadline though, the district was moving to get laptops to every student so they could continue some semblance of class instruction. That's what I meant by it being an indicator that this could go on indefinitely.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
They will probably start at the waitlist to fill 2020 Fall. I imagine more than ever there will be an influx of accepted students that will defer admission. So how do you react to 2021 class when this (When COVID is hopefully a non issue in 2021)? You have "seats" taken already in 2021 with students that have deferred admission in 2020. 2021 could be highly competitive.

Good point. I imagine post-secondary will be a real mess if this drags on long enough that an entire two semesters are delayed. It may end up reshaping the whole college experience too though, perhaps to the benefit of those who would struggle to afford it.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:11 AM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Good point. I imagine post-secondary will be a real mess if this drags on long enough that an entire two semesters are delayed. It may end up reshaping the whole college experience too though, perhaps to the benefit of those who would struggle to afford it.
One thing for certain, they won't make it cheaper. Even student loans are running at 6% or higher.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:16 AM

332 posts, read 632,547 times
Quote:
Sorry to our Chinese Americans...but no more Chinese international students should be allowed!!!

Old 04-29-2020, 10:21 AM

332 posts, read 632,547 times
Quote:
Well before the original deadline though, the district was moving to get laptops to every student so they could continue some semblance of class instruction. That's what I meant by it being an indicator that this could go on indefinitely.
Every family out there better be taking there COVID Cash and buying $150 chromebooks for each kid in their house if they don't already have enough computers! Again...the majority will be punished by the stupid minority...and our so called leaders let it happen. Then again, screw online learning. School needs to go on in Aug/Sep!!!!

Old 04-29-2020, 02:01 PM

Newsom keeps regurgitating his "roadmap" points by altering the words just enough to create the illusion that the state is making progress on a plan. After reading the revamped version, I still can't figure out just how they intend to open the schools with the bar to maintain social distancing being there, or at least set as high as it is now. It just won't work.

Ignoring the looming issue of the staffing to this, even having staggered start times (basically splitting schools into groups) couldn't guarantee an environment where students and teachers maintain six feet from one another, especially in the lower grades where kids are going to act like kids. It also conveniently ignores the fact that a classroom is a big container of people in a static surrounding. That's worse than a retail outlet if the goal is to prevent the spread of germs. People don't spend several hours in the grocery store together. In a school, that *is* the very nature of the setting. Unless they mean to have very short school sessions for each group of kids, this doesn't come off as much of a solution. At that point they may as well just keep the DL as the primary mode.

Newsom can't unilaterally force the schools to start in July either, so I don't know where he's coming from with that. The only certainty I gleaned from his latest speech was that nothing of substance is in place even for just "phase one".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego