Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 06:22 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,785,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuhagiar View Post
Norty,

Thanks for the quick response. I can't believe I wrote 'I-5' instead of 'I-15', and I can't find any way to fix my original post (does the 'edit' function go away after a few minutes?) If an Admin can correct my post I would greatly appreciate it.

Regarding the fog - it's personal, lol! We lived in South San Francisco, CA for most of our lives. From May until September in the San Francisco Bay Area, and especially in the cities of San Francisco, Pacifica, Daly City and South San Francisco the fog sometimes lingers for weeks at a time with very little, if any, clearing. Not to mention the sea breezes (more like gales!) which accompany it. Working outside, or even in the garage with the door open during these months was always an ordeal, what with the circular winds buffeting you from all directions. Couldn't ever enjoy a summer day on the patio, either, because of that icy wind. (Those stories about the winds in Candlestick park, and the Mark Twain adage about the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in SF are all true.)

I'm born and raised in Michigan, where the winters are cold, but the summers, gosh darn it, are hot. It's what Nature intended, lol. We want to live out our lives somewhere where the summers are more inclined to warmth. As an example, we spent thirty-three straight years spending a week or two of summer vacation (August or September) in Scottsdale, AZ. Needless to say, our affinities lie with warmer climates, not the fog.

Now, all of that being said, I can't believe that the marine layer down here is anywhere near as bad as it is in NorCal. (In fact I would love to hear a comparison from any locals who may have spent some time living in the SF Bay Area.) In all of the years that we visited SD and stayed with our family in Pacific Beach, the worst we ever encountered was in June and it was so much gentler than the NorCal stuff, without the swirling winds - a kinder, gentler fog, if you will. So we may be making much ado out of nothing, but still want to lean toward the warmer areas of SD county.
Usually fog is a morning issue and id gone by noon at the latest unless an unusual weather pattern hits. I grew up 3 miles from the ebach in OC (walking distance not straight line which was more like 1.5 miles) and the fog was a morning thing in May and June. Sometimes late at night as well. Nothing like SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 06:02 AM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
Quote:
Norty,

Thanks for the quick response. I can't believe I wrote 'I-5' instead of 'I-15', and I can't find any way to fix my original post (does the 'edit' function go away after a few minutes?) If an Admin can correct my post I would greatly appreciate it.

Regarding the fog - it's personal, lol! We lived in South San Francisco, CA for most of our lives. From May until September in the San Francisco Bay Area, and especially in the cities of San Francisco, Pacifica, Daly City and South San Francisco the fog sometimes lingers for weeks at a time with very little, if any, clearing. Not to mention the sea breezes (more like gales!) which accompany it. Working outside, or even in the garage with the door open during these months was always an ordeal, what with the circular winds buffeting you from all directions. Couldn't ever enjoy a summer day on the patio, either, because of that icy wind. (Those stories about the winds in Candlestick park, and the Mark Twain adage about the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in SF are all true.)

I'm born and raised in Michigan, where the winters are cold, but the summers, gosh darn it, are hot. It's what Nature intended, lol. We want to live out our lives somewhere where the summers are more inclined to warmth. As an example, we spent thirty-three straight years spending a week or two of summer vacation (August or September) in Scottsdale, AZ. Needless to say, our affinities lie with warmer climates, not the fog.

Now, all of that being said, I can't believe that the marine layer down here is anywhere near as bad as it is in NorCal. (In fact I would love to hear a comparison from any locals who may have spent some time living in the SF Bay Area.) In all of the years that we visited SD and stayed with our family in Pacific Beach, the worst we ever encountered was in June and it was so much gentler than the NorCal stuff, without the swirling winds - a kinder, gentler fog, if you will. So we may be making much ado out of nothing, but still want to lean toward the warmer areas of SD county.
Ok, gotcha.
The clouds usually dissipate by 10am, unless a weather system is driving in. You'll get used to hearing "Night & morning low clouds/fog" a lot here. If you're coming from Michigan, then there is no weather here, from what I'm told. "May Gray" and "June Gloom" are here. Followed closely by "July Fry."
I hear you about the wind in the City. It cuts right through you. As you say, it's a "wet cold."

If you like "warmer climates" then maybe something in the Palm Springs area? It warms up, there. Or, as you say, "Scottsdale!"

Here's the info, on the typical winds here:

The winds are typically about 2mph. They move OFFshore during the night and continue until about 8-10am. Then the ONshore "drift" starts. This lasts until about 11-12 noon. Then it increases to about 3-4mph in velocity, until about 4-5pm. After this, it dies down to dead calm over night.

Santa Ana winds are a different breed of cat. The closer you are to the coast, the lesser the wind velocity is.
20 miles inland (Escondido area) can see Santa Ana's at 25-35mph. While on the coast, it's 4-5mph, if that. Same day, same time. If there's a fire happening, then it can create it's own weather system. Sometimes, accelerating winds to hurricane force.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:58 AM

771 posts, read 836,334 times
Quote:
Hello Folks,

UPDATE: We have accepted an offer on our primary residence in Northern California and we expect escrow to close on April 20. After that date we will be active house hunters in San Diego County.

One community that has re-appeared on our radar is Vista, which we originally discounted but are now revisiting. Being as how it is west of I-5 we are concerned about the marine layer. I know some folks love it for it's cooling breezes but we lived with it in NorCal for most of our lives and are done with it. Relatively speaking, how much fog does Vista get compared with Escondido, and Valley Center? Is it year round or only May-June?

Thanks in advance to all!
Congrats on your NorCal home selling -- although not a surprise.

Much of the time, the marine layer stops around El Camino Real, which runs N-S and roughly splits Carlsbad in half. So, Vista will usually be safe from the worst greyness. I think it's a nice balance between the moderation of temperature the coast provides and sunshine. I can't directly compare Vista to Escondido, though.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyN View Post
We will be selling our home in a few months. We live in Ramona, (about 35 miles northeast of downtown San Diego) on 5 acres, house built in 2004, single story, about 3,100 square feet, with a 3 car garage, and a pool. My husband, a serious car guy, had a 1,500 square foot separate garage built about 10 years ago. It has double RV size doors and has 2 four poster car lifts installed. Plus, there is room for a couch, and lots of tools and storage cabinets. We also have a horse barn and corrals. All set for the good life!
Your place is still "pending?" I figured 30 day closing. Hope there's not a problem. It sure is a beautiful place, that's for sure!

Old 04-13-2021, 03:59 PM

5,746 posts, read 4,706,142 times
This house came across my fb feed today.

5 bed
3900 sq ft
6 car garage
.5 acre lot
$1.2M

https://www.redfin.com/CA/La-Mesa/20...1/home/5632133

Old 04-13-2021, 05:02 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Ok, gotcha.
The clouds usually dissipate by 10am, unless a weather system is driving in. You'll get used to hearing "Night & morning low clouds/fog" a lot here. If you're coming from Michigan, then there is no weather here, from what I'm told. "May Gray" and "June Gloom" are here. Followed closely by "July Fry."
I hear you about the wind in the City. It cuts right through you. As you say, it's a "wet cold."

If you like "warmer climates" then maybe something in the Palm Springs area? It warms up, there. Or, as you say, "Scottsdale!"

Here's the info, on the typical winds here:

The winds are typically about 2mph. They move OFFshore during the night and continue until about 8-10am. Then the ONshore "drift" starts. This lasts until about 11-12 noon. Then it increases to about 3-4mph in velocity, until about 4-5pm. After this, it dies down to dead calm over night.

Santa Ana winds are a different breed of cat. The closer you are to the coast, the lesser the wind velocity is.
20 miles inland (Escondido area) can see Santa Ana's at 25-35mph. While on the coast, it's 4-5mph, if that. Same day, same time. If there's a fire happening, then it can create it's own weather system. Sometimes, accelerating winds to hurricane force.
Norty. I race bikes on Fiesta Island and there is a reason all the races are first light. The wind gets cranked almost daily. Lap times are dramatically less after about 9 am. That's also why the parasailers, etc. love it out there. It's freakin windy.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:14 PM

187 posts, read 133,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
This house came across my fb feed today.

5 bed
3900 sq ft
6 car garage
.5 acre lot
$1.2M

https://www.redfin.com/CA/La-Mesa/20...1/home/5632133
Thanks Axxlrod, looks like it might of had some potential, but it's already sale pending.

Thanks again.

Cheers, Ken

Old 04-14-2021, 05:13 PM

Besides, it's $600/mo. HOA....

Old 04-20-2021, 09:26 PM

3 posts, read 2,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Your place is still "pending?" I figured 30 day closing. Hope there's not a problem. It sure is a beautiful place, that's for sure!
Hi Norty,

No, there was no problem with the sale of our house. We listed it March 2nd and had three immediate offers. We accepted one just a couple of days later. We asked for a 45 day escrow, since then have been clearing out stuff; we had an estates/liquidation sale of most of our things. And we just closed escrow yesterday! We were very fortunate in our timing. For the next few months we are just renting a condo in the San Diego area while we figure out our next step.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyN View Post
Hi Norty,

No, there was no problem with the sale of our house. We listed it March 2nd and had three immediate offers. We accepted one just a couple of days later. We asked for a 45 day escrow, since then have been clearing out stuff; we had an estates/liquidation sale of most of our things. And we just closed escrow yesterday! We were very fortunate in our timing. For the next few months we are just renting a condo in the San Diego area while we figure out our next step.
Thank you for your update!

Side note~ Let your husband know of the car show at Bates Nut Farm on Sunday...(it's usually a biggie.)

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 04-21-2021 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: added stuff, ya know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego