Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 07:19 PM

187 posts, read 132,851 times

Advertisements

Hello San Diego!

New member here, just joined to get some information on San Diego County.

My wife and I have been visiting San Diego for the last twenty-five years; most of our family has relocated there. We visit mostly where our relatives are (Pacific Beach, Mira Mesa, Escondido, and Bayfront (near Petco Park). We will be consolidating our existing dwellings in Northern California (South San Francisco/Sonora) and moving to Greater San Diego within the next two years.

My wife and I are both automotive/classic car enthusiasts, so our goal is to find a property with a lot of garage/workshop space (preferably 4- or 5-car garage, but 3-car is a bare minimum) and excellent wired broadband Internet service (we learned our lesson with our Sonora property which restricted us to WISP 5MB service).

All of our browsing has been done online, but we expect to get 'boots on the ground' in December. The good news is that there appears to be many communities in SDC that might work for us. So far we have found a few compatible properties in Fallbrook and Vista, but we are looking for other candidate communities.

Any suggestions from any gearheads/hot rodders/car buffs out there?

Also we are not fog fans (60+ years dealing with constant coastal fog from May to August in San Francisco), we like the heat, how far inland does the fog extend into SDC?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 07:55 PM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuhagiar View Post
Hello San Diego!

New member here, just joined to get some information on San Diego County.

My wife and I have been visiting San Diego for the last twenty-five years; most of our family has relocated there. We visit mostly where our relatives are (Pacific Beach, Mira Mesa, Escondido, and Bayfront (near Petco Park). We will be consolidating our existing dwellings in Northern California (South San Francisco/Sonora) and moving to Greater San Diego within the next two years.

My wife and I are both automotive/classic car enthusiasts, so our goal is to find a property with a lot of garage/workshop space (preferably 4- or 5-car garage, but 3-car is a bare minimum) and excellent wired broadband Internet service (we learned our lesson with our Sonora property which restricted us to WISP 5MB service).

All of our browsing has been done online, but we expect to get 'boots on the ground' in December. The good news is that there appears to be many communities in SDC that might work for us. So far we have found a few compatible properties in Fallbrook and Vista, but we are looking for other candidate communities.

Any suggestions from any gearheads/hot rodders/car buffs out there?

Also we are not fog fans (60+ years dealing with constant coastal fog from May to August in San Francisco), we like the heat, how far inland does the fog extend into SDC?

Thanks in advance!
Most days the fog only reaches the mesa about a mile in or some days about SDSU but there are days it can go to E County. There are big garages all over. My neighbor has one big as a quonset and has an RV, boat, side by side, shop and it's two stories tall.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:03 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,455,778 times
Quote:
My wife and I are both automotive/classic car enthusiasts, so our goal is to find a property with a lot of garage/workshop space (preferably 4- or 5-car garage, but 3-car is a bare minimum)

Why not just look for more rural properties with a nice house and enough property to build a shop to your specs? Five car garages definitely aren't the norm in neighborhoods.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Why not just look for more rural properties with a nice house and enough property to build a shop to your specs? Five car garages definitely aren't the norm in neighborhoods.
We are definitely concentrating our searches to more rural locations, we are just hoping to identify more of these communities. So far two locales that seem to fit our requirements are Fallbrook and Vista, but we are open to other suggestions!

Old 11-24-2020, 08:17 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,455,778 times
Sounds like you're focusing on north county, so s/e Escondido, Ramona, Valley Center maybe.
You didn't indicate budget.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Sounds like you're focusing on north county, so s/e Escondido, Ramona, Valley Center maybe.
You didn't indicate budget.
Our budget at this time is around $1.3M, possibly up to $1.5 for the right turn-key needs-no-work property.

Old 11-25-2020, 05:37 AM

811 posts, read 622,717 times
1.3-1.5 sounds a bit stingy unless you're talking an older, basic 2500' home with a separate metal building. It will definitely be rural.

I have never understood why an enterprising gearhead hasn't developed a car community; especially in Scottsdale where there are lots of collectors and affluent enthusiasts. 2500-3500 livable with a 2-3k garage sounds just right. Oh... and a community car wash. With a lift.

Old 11-25-2020, 05:40 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,577,764 times
Quote:
Our budget at this time is around $1.3M, possibly up to $1.5 for the right turn-key needs-no-work property.
As a fellow car enthusiast, a 3-car garage is rare but you may be able to find one here in coastal San Diego. I own a home with a 2 car garage in Bay Ho (NW Clairemont). I store my cars in Santee.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:38 AM

17,318 posts, read 22,065,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
1.3-1.5 sounds a bit stingy unless you're talking an older, basic 2500' home with a separate metal building. It will definitely be rural.

I have never understood why an enterprising gearhead hasn't developed a car community; especially in Scottsdale where there are lots of collectors and affluent enthusiasts. 2500-3500 livable with a 2-3k garage sounds just right. Oh... and a community car wash. With a lift.
Community lift would be a disaster from a liability standpoint and likely a hassle when someone puts a car on it and removes the tranny...........tying up the lift for days. The rest is a good idea though!

I know of a local community built around a 2700 ft airstrip, many hangars there are loaded with cars not a plane. Houses are on 5 acres minimum. There are planes in the community but you can go days without seeing a takeoff or landing. I'd love to keep a King Air in the hangar and put a pair of double lifts in the rear corners (8 cars stored). Of course you would have to pull the plane in/out to access the cars but that's cool too!

Old 11-25-2020, 07:51 AM

811 posts, read 622,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Community lift would be a disaster from a liability standpoint and likely a hassle when someone puts a car on it and removes the tranny...........tying up the lift for days. The rest is a good idea though!

I know of a local community built around a 2700 ft airstrip, many hangars there are loaded with cars not a plane. Houses are on 5 acres minimum. There are planes in the community but you can go days without seeing a takeoff or landing. I'd love to keep a King Air in the hangar and put a pair of double lifts in the rear corners (8 cars stored). Of course you would have to pull the plane in/out to access the cars but that's cool too!
Yes. My lift comment was made in jest.
Where is this airport community? Sounds cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego