Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 07:55 AM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times

Advertisements

There are several films of it on youtube. It's called Hite's Cove Trail. It's steep on the way down. The films were taken before a fire in the area, so the trail looks green and full of shade. That's not at all the condition it's in currently. There was no shade in the area according to descriptions when they were found. The trail distance is a little over 4 miles, so they faced a 2-mile hike on the return, uphill with multiple switchbacks. The map posted above looks like it fits the description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 08:15 AM

771 posts, read 835,530 times
All Trails doesn't seem to have it as a listed trail, although it shows it as a hiking trail on its map. So, no difficulty, elevation, etc. Looking at the topo lines, it looks fairly steep. The other link indicates it's about 3 miles -- AllTrails shows 3.7mi I think. Looks like about 1700ft elevation -- so yes, steep over that distance.

You can't tell cardio/fitness level just by looking, but in pics the husband and wife appear to be not obviously unfit.

The trail shown appears to cross a fork of the S Merced River. Does make you wonder about the mentioned possibility of algae toxicity.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:24 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,450,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If they come out and claim heatstroke or dehydration I'm going to assume that for whatever reason they are concealing the truth.

Why would that lead you to believe there's a conspiracy to hide something?
Heat stroke, falls, and exposure are the big killers for people trekking in the outdoors. This story is all occam's razor stuff; it was hot enough, they didn't appear to be prepared, there's at least some sign that the wife went for help and there's no indication of foul play as of yet. It makes the most sense to think they got in over their heads, maybe something happened to the guy, the wife went for help but it was all well past the point of no return. It's not hard to get dehydrated and then fall delirious to it. I've hiked a lot, in warmer weather and at elevations above the treeline, and even I've had occasion where I barely picked up on the fact that something wasn't right. That's when you stop, assess and act. People panic though and start moving quickly and exacerbate their situation. It happens.

As for the toxic algae, it seems weird that *that* would be such an instantly deadly thing but I admit I don't know the mechanism for how that works. Also, I carry a filter on any hike that I know will have a source of water, even if I don't intend to use it.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:04 AM

771 posts, read 835,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
As for the toxic algae, it seems weird that *that* would be such an instantly deadly thing but I admit I don't know the mechanism for how that works. Also, I carry a filter on any hike that I know will have a source of water, even if I don't intend to use it.
I was thinking maybe they went swimming in it? That could explain a fair amount of exposure for all four of them.

Weren't their bodies found relatively quickly? That's what may be pushing toward an atypical cause (ie, not heat/dehydration). I would expect an infant and prime-age adults to have seriously different resistance. It also seems a little unusual that a dog would perish right there -- assuming reports of how the bodies were found is accurate.

Even with elevation, it seems a little unusual that heat/dehydration would have gotten both adults -- you have to assume the survival drive would have been even higher than usual with a young child's life also on the line.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:44 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I agree, my husband was a rock climber and hiker for most of his life and he said it's just bizarre to think that 2 adults a dog and a baby would all succumb to the heat and especially all at the same time. They would have sought shade and that water bottle would be empty. If they come out and claim heatstroke or dehydration I'm going to assume that for whatever reason they are concealing the truth.
I'm thinking there was something in their water that knocked them out. Whether intentional or not. That dog is way more tough than any human. Even a lazy one.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:58 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,932,516 times
for a 4 miles, 1700 foot hike (steep) or a 6.5 miles, 1000 foot elevation one with temps in the mid-90s, one would need 4 liters all together for that group imo. But someone mentioned some water remaining in their bladder. Let's hope they test that remaining water for toxins too.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
for a 4 miles, 1700 foot hike (steep) or a 6.5 miles, 1000 foot elevation one with temps in the mid-90s, one would need 4 liters all together for that group imo. But someone mentioned some water remaining in their bladder. Let's hope they test that remaining water for toxins too.
I read an article that came out in the first few days after they were found, and it said their water and the river water were being tested. And yet, the results of those tests have never been released to the public. Was it an oversight? Or does it mean there was nothing to report, i.e. nothing bad in either batch of water? This lack of follow-up from authorities is one reason we're struggling to get any accurate understanding of what happened. It's frustrating.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:35 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,179,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I read an article that came out in the first few days after they were found, and it said their water and the river water were being tested. And yet, the results of those tests have never been released to the public. Was it an oversight? Or does it mean there was nothing to report, i.e. nothing bad in either batch of water? This lack of follow-up from authorities is one reason we're struggling to get any accurate understanding of what happened. It's frustrating.
There were no other dead animals in the vicinity of the water. I’m leaning to murder suicide. The baby dog and 2 people wouldn’t have all gotten heat stroke.

Old 08-26-2021, 04:29 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Arsenic poisoning is the only thing I can think of that could work that fast.

Old 08-26-2021, 07:12 PM

Minor update: There's a witness report, that the family started out for the trail at 7:30 a.m., which means they were definitely mindful of the heat, and were trying to avoid it. But reports by people living in the area say, the temps got up to the 103-109 range on parts of the trail, so that exceeded what was forecast and expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego