Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 02:30 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
You're totally welcome. It's really not difficult. The key thing that is super easy is on the USA side. You don't need anyone at all to start the process here. On the Mexico side is where you might want to hire someone but mostly it's if you don't speak Spanish and they can meet you. I saw several Americans with these people in the Guadalajara Consultate office.

Feel free to PM me and I can walk you through it. The toughest thing to remember is that you have a limited time to complete the process once the consulate office in the USA gives you the visa and it takes a few weeks in Mexico and you can't leave.

There are some people that you can hire. A friend did that. I'll look for their contact. But honestly it would only be a matter of paying them to accompany you in Mexico at the meeting. You'll be amazed how organized Mexico is and it's all automated and doesn't take long.

I went through this process in other countries of getting my retirement visa (permanent residency) as I always prefer to have permanent residency when buying real estate abroad. It was very complicated and in some countries took 3 or 4 years. And I had to hire expensive immigration attorneys. I was amazed just how easy it was in Mexico for a gringo to get permanent residency there via a retirement visa.
This is great information. Not only for me but for those wanting to do the same.

Thanks Again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 11:57 AM

798 posts, read 503,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
You're totally welcome. It's really not difficult. The key thing that is super easy is on the USA side. You don't need anyone at all to start the process here. On the Mexico side is where you might want to hire someone but mostly it's if you don't speak Spanish and they can meet you. I saw several Americans with these people in the Guadalajara Consultate office.

Feel free to PM me and I can walk you through it. The toughest thing to remember is that you have a limited time to complete the process once the consulate office in the USA gives you the visa and it takes a few weeks in Mexico and you can't leave.

There are some people that you can hire. A friend did that. I'll look for their contact. But honestly it would only be a matter of paying them to accompany you in Mexico at the meeting. You'll be amazed how organized Mexico is and it's all automated and doesn't take long.

I went through this process in other countries of getting my retirement visa (permanent residency) as I always prefer to have permanent residency when buying real estate abroad. It was very complicated and in some countries took 3 or 4 years. And I had to hire expensive immigration attorneys. I was amazed just how easy it was in Mexico for a gringo to get permanent residency there via a retirement visa.
I live close to Chula Vista and I would like to get this done as well. However, I work from home and cannot leave for 3 weeks. I do have the ability to pay for a person to represent me down in Mexico.

Thank you for the information

I cannot see relocating to a different state, but buying property in Baja sounds like a great idea, my medical is in Tj @ https://simnsa.com/locations/

No FL for me too buggy and muggy

Old 01-30-2022, 02:02 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,701,984 times
You can buy property in Mexico as a foreigner inside the protected zone by using a fideocomiso trust. I did it 18 years ago when I bought a condo in Cabo.

Old 02-01-2022, 05:47 PM

52 posts, read 31,780 times
My wife and I are contemplating moving. We've been here since 2014. We are from Central FL, but would never consider moving back to FL. I am retired military and we've lived in FL, TN, KY, AZ, KS, and AL. We love the weather here and the outdoor activities and being close to a lot of National Parks; however, the CA lifestyle is getting old. It feels like a rat race here, the traffic congestion, increased crime, etc. I work in Aerospace/Defense so we will likely move to another hub for that with Tucson, AZ and Huntsville, AL being the leading contenders. I think the biggest draw for us is that we could sell our 42 year old home 4/2 1479 sq ft. for like $800,000 here and buy a brand new 3000 sq ft. home for <$450,000.

Old 02-01-2022, 06:13 PM

148 posts, read 105,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmaxus View Post
My wife and I are contemplating moving. We've been here since 2014. We are from Central FL, but would never consider moving back to FL. I am retired military and we've lived in FL, TN, KY, AZ, KS, and AL. We love the weather here and the outdoor activities and being close to a lot of National Parks; however, the CA lifestyle is getting old. It feels like a rat race here, the traffic congestion, increased crime, etc. I work in Aerospace/Defense so we will likely move to another hub for that with Tucson, AZ and Huntsville, AL being the leading contenders. I think the biggest draw for us is that we could sell our 42 year old home 4/2 1479 sq ft. for like $800,000 here and buy a brand new 3000 sq ft. home for <$450,000.
Why wouldn't you?

Old 02-02-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frac View Post
Why wouldn't you?
We have no family ties to CA. Only thing holding us back is waiting on my wife to be fully vested in her retirement plan so that we don't lose what time she has put in. We are late 30s so not retiring but don't want to throw that away. The only other thing that would keep us in CA if our salaries decreased by moving to the point the cheaper housing and cost of living is offset; however, in my field I'd likely keep same salary and my wife decrease a little. Our home here has appreciated so much we could take the equity and buy a new home somewhere else and not have a mortgage ever again or nearly not like $600/mo or something ridiculously low.

Old 02-02-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
FL has severe poverty, high crime and poor educational attainment. If you are unhappy with fraudulent government stay away from the southeast especially FL. I never understand why conservatives think FL is some sort of paradise for their values. Take away the wealthy northeastern retirees and you are left with something that looks a lot like LA or MS.

My take is most folks fed up with state politics in CA would be much happier in AZ, UT, or ID. Less nanny state, all the individual freedoms you can want, but fewer deeply entrenched social problems than the southeast.
Born and raised in Central FL left when I was 20, and majority of my family is still there. I've also lived in Central AL near my wife's family that left FL. I agree about some of the comments made about FL. High School Graduation rates where I live were in the low 70%, I know first hand as I didn't graduate High School the school I was at was abysmal, I now have a Master's Degree after getting out of there. San Diego doesn't really have bad neighborhoods in comparison. FL and South East US has deep divides in cities where there are very poor on one side with terrible schools like where I grew up and nice neighborhoods with great schools on the other. There are so many retirees and transplants that bring money to FL, so FL doesn't have to provide them jobs so the economy is very service industry toward retirees especially nursing and healthcare. All of the "Florida Man" crazy news stories you see. Well my take on that is there are a lot of retirees, there are also a lot of retiree grown kids who can't make it in life that follow their retiree parents to FL and that's what you get.

Old 02-02-2022, 12:31 PM

148 posts, read 105,267 times
Quote:
We have no family ties to CA. Only thing holding us back is waiting on my wife to be fully vested in her retirement plan so that we don't lose what time she has put in. We are late 30s so not retiring but don't want to throw that away. The only other thing that would keep us in CA if our salaries decreased by moving to the point the cheaper housing and cost of living is offset; however, in my field I'd likely keep same salary and my wife decrease a little. Our home here has appreciated so much we could take the equity and buy a new home somewhere else and not have a mortgage ever again or nearly not like $600/mo or something ridiculously low.
Oh - I was responding to the part of your comment that I bolded about not wanting to go back to FL. I was curious why that is the case.

Old 02-02-2022, 12:47 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Quote:
Born and raised in Central FL left when I was 20, and majority of my family is still there. I've also lived in Central AL near my wife's family that left FL. I agree about some of the comments made about FL. High School Graduation rates where I live were in the low 70%, I know first hand as I didn't graduate High School the school I was at was abysmal, I now have a Master's Degree after getting out of there. San Diego doesn't really have bad neighborhoods in comparison. FL and South East US has deep divides in cities where there are very poor on one side with terrible schools like where I grew up and nice neighborhoods with great schools on the other. There are so many retirees and transplants that bring money to FL, so FL doesn't have to provide them jobs so the economy is very service industry toward retirees especially nursing and healthcare. All of the "Florida Man" crazy news stories you see. Well my take on that is there are a lot of retirees, there are also a lot of retiree grown kids who can't make it in life that follow their retiree parents to FL and that's what you get.
Damned impressive.

Old 02-02-2022, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frac View Post
Oh - I was responding to the part of your comment that I bolded about not wanting to go back to FL. I was curious why that is the case.
Oh FL. You can see the previous post to your post some of my input on FL. I hate the humidity in FL and the bugs that go with it. FL is also flat. FL summer heat is brutal with the humidity, and that is coming from someone who has lived in southern AZ and spent 3 years in Kuwait and Iraq. The beaches are nicer in FL than CA in my opinion though. If you like to fish then there are lakes everywhere and of course your never more than like 2 hours from the beach even inland Central FL. I still have a kid in school and the schools in FL don't compare, for instance in the Lakeland FL metro area where I'm from my old high school is rated a 1/10 on Greatschools.org and the highest rated Public District High School is rated a 5/10. Tampa isn't much better and the homes near the two schools that actually are rated a 7/10 are competitive. Florida caters to retirees and if your retired with no kids and don't need a job then it would be appealing. We are considering Huntsville, AL and even though I hate the humidity the high salaries, low housing cost, and good schools in that area might be worth the trade off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego