Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 10:24 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
The only thing good about San Diego County today vs the other counties in CA is that there are no Spare the air days when those beach fires or campfires or even wood stoves would be banned.

Its sad how SD County now become just like any other coastal community in terms of policy lean. On the news SD County's supervisors seems to think no differently than those in the SF Bay Area or LA County these days. Even their Sheriff in terms of COVID restrictions. Even though other counties Sheriff even Progressive LA's Sheriff think new laws are just too much and pledged not to enforce them. News sources in SD including SDUT now become just like the LA times these days originally they were more moderate. OC, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties while they are also blue these days they are not as progressive, OC still locked down the beaches a few times though despite pledging to always keep them open.
Carlsbad was once all republican just years ago nowadays Democrats control it, it had among the longest curfews on outdoor activities in the county and now requires masks in all city facilities.

Interestingly though I heard while the ocean is warm in the summer in the east coast they are colder in the winter than the left coast. Thus the reason the east coast feels sticky during the summer and the water offers little resistance to arctic blasts in the winter thats what I heard. Though mountain barriers or lack of also play a role.

I am surprised its even possible to close or ban people from natural open lands/waters in any case either for the pandemic or for any other reason, or no one except natures lands I thought the closest possible thing is to order a mandatory evacuation or area wide curfew. Or ban camping(activities requiring reservations), block certain roads, trails, and facilities, with gates. Parks are different as they are usually fenced/gated in and admission is required for entry to be granted.

I always curious what is a "surfer" I guess tourists who surf the busy breaks near popular beach parking lots are not socially considered "surfers" just tourist with surfboards am I right?
Some people vacation here just for the surf but most local breaks are filled with locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2021, 11:09 AM

187 posts, read 131,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
SD traffic is horrible, all that time wasted in bumper to bumper traffic not to mention all the expensive gas you are burning to sit on a freeway parking lot for hours on end, not for me.
It's not great but it's nowhere near as bad as it is in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Old 09-01-2021, 04:50 PM

148 posts, read 105,062 times
I've been thinking about it. It depends somewhat on what happens to my rent cost when my lease is up next year. My mom and friends being here helps keep me around. California in general is losing its luster.

Old 09-01-2021, 06:37 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,450,423 times
I've never lived anywhere else but have pondered it many times. Then it's February and I'm bbq'ing in shorts and sandals. To some that's a negative. To me it's precisely why the idea has never progressed beyond contemplation. Can't beat the weather.

This place will never again be the kickback casual low buck hidden gem of coastal California that it was in the 70s and 80s. It was definitely better with less people, but where in the entire country isn't that true? So why move elsewhere if the next perfect place is only going to grow and eventually turn into the same too? Makes no sense to me.

Old 09-01-2021, 07:40 PM

480 posts, read 418,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
I've never lived anywhere else but have pondered it many times. Then it's February and I'm bbq'ing in shorts and sandals.
Do you live inland? San Diego proper gets cold in February. Not necessarily a shorts weather for my comfort level.

Old 09-01-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
Florida can definitely be less expensive than San Diego, although I would be curious about big cities like the Miami metro area. Since you've lived in both SoCal and SoFL, you've got a good handle on other things like hurricane risks and insurance costs vs fire/earthquake. What do you think is a realistic cost of living in SoFL vs SD?

Personally, I like visiting FL, but I couldn't see myself living there. I don't care for the east-coast vibe that permeates the more well-off areas that I've spent time in. I also don't like hot humid summers and the bugs that accompany it. IMO, the fire/earthquake risk in an intelligently-chosen part of SD is less than anything semi-coastal in FL. I find fewer SFH that are the look and style I prefer.

OTOH, the tax situation is appealing, especially during prime earning years. The Gulf side beaches can be nicer than San Diego's.
Ft Lauderdale is a nice area and very affordable. I don't know about Miami though. It's probably a bit more expensive but still cheaper than SD. I would say things like groceries, gas etc are a little cheaper but the major pro of SoFL is housing cost and lack of state income tax. Unless you are very close to the ocean, insurance costs won't be high. I notice little differences too. Like uber eats here in SD is a bit more expensive than FL for similar cuisine/quality. In SD, they add something called CA driver benefits automatically and then you are asked to tip the driver on top of that.

I know many people don't prefer FL because of weather and hurricanes. Those don't concern me though. I did notice one thing that was unique about Ft Lauderdale. When I take walks, people actually say hi, smile, and ask things like how are you. I rarely get that in SD. I would be lucky if they smiled back. No idea what that's all about.

Old 09-01-2021, 08:11 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
Do you live inland? San Diego proper gets cold in February. Not necessarily a shorts weather for my comfort level.
Since when is mid-upper 60s “cold”?

My Minnesota upbringing is laughing

Old 09-01-2021, 08:16 PM

187 posts, read 131,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
When I take walks, people actually say hi, smile, and ask things like how are you. I rarely get that in SD. I would be lucky if they smiled back. No idea what that's all about.
Funny you mentioned that, in my 30-odd years of living in the SF Bay Area and visiting SD (and now living in rural Escondido) I've always found the folks to be much friendlier here than in San Francisco.

Old 09-01-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuhagiar View Post
Funny you mentioned that, in my 30-odd years of living in the SF Bay Area and visiting SD (and now living in rural Escondido) I've always found the folks to be much friendlier here than in San Francisco.
I can believe that about SF. The city has major problems. May be it's rural SD/escondido that is friendlier? People walk their dogs all the time here and they can be very inconsiderate and cold. At least that's been my observation.

Old 09-01-2021, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Since when is mid-upper 60s “cold”?

My Minnesota upbringing is laughing
Lol. Not Minnesota. That place is only fit for penguins. I lived there for a while and the weather was HELL.

Believe it or not.. some people like it 75 and up. I personally prefer 80 and up. 75 is doable but below 70 is downright annoying. But that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego