Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 10:40 AM

57 posts, read 53,322 times

Advertisements

I am searching for a place to rent an apt in SD - in Mira Meas Clairmont, Sorrento valley, carmel valley as some examples.

I am not successful yet as rates spiked big time. I see notes online for these places that - Tenant must carry renter's insurance w/ minimum $100K liability.

- I wanted to know what's the typical rental insurance for condo or 1 BR/1BA apt in SD with 100k liability?
- Similarly, how much is the car insurance for an old car with 150+k miles? Best places to shop?
- what's the typical utilities per month over there?
- Only interested in internet, not cable. Any service recommendations here?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2021, 11:12 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
There are no ballpark figures for those.

Renter's insurance will depend on your insurance company. I pay $100/year for mine

Car insurance will also depend on your insurer, and your coverage. I use an insurance broker for mine, and he got me the lowest rate. I have a 2003 Chevrolet Astrovan with 156k on it, and full coverage on it runs around $750/year.

Utilities (SDG&E)will depend on your usage. Mine runs about $40/mo., because there's no natural light in my apartment, and I have to keep the lights on all the time.

Internet rates will depend on the area that you move to, but since you'll be a new customer, you can get a special new customer rate. Your choices are Cox, AT&T, and Spectrum, but until you get an actual address, you won't know who you'll be able to establish service with.

Last edited by moved; 11-17-2021 at 11:21 AM..

Old 11-17-2021, 02:24 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
I recommend you call/email an insurance agent, as there are too many variables to your questions.
They'll need to know~
The precise location your rent.
The vehicle housed in a locked garage?
Any sporting goods you want insured?
Value of those sporting goods?
The age of your car doesn't really matter. Value might.
Miles driven per year? Definitely.
Call a few agents in the area, and see what's what.

Good luck!

Old 11-17-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I recommend you call/email an insurance agent, as there are too many variables to your questions.
They'll need to know~
The precise location your rent.
The vehicle housed in a locked garage?
Any sporting goods you want insured?
Value of those sporting goods?
The age of your car doesn't really matter. Value might.
Miles driven per year? Definitely.
Call a few agents in the area, and see what's what.

Good luck!
Just like I said, there's no ballpark figure for those.

Old 11-17-2021, 06:03 PM

5,746 posts, read 4,706,142 times
Renter's insurance is cheap.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:26 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,578,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Car insurance will also depend on your insurer, and your coverage. I use an insurance broker for mine, and he got me the lowest rate. I have a 2003 Chevrolet Astrovan with 156k on it, and full coverage on it runs around $750/year.
That sounds high. Your Astrovan is pretty much worthless. Hopefully you're not insuring the vehicle.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
That sounds high. Your Astrovan is pretty much worthless. Hopefully you're not insuring the vehicle.
I beg to disagree.

My Astrovan (and others) are still pretty much in demand, and yes, it's insured - with full coverage on it.

This is my 3rd Astrovan. The first one (94') was totaled, and the insurance company gave me enough money to replace it.

The second one was stolen, and the insurance company also gave me enough money to replace that one.

If something happens to this one, I'll buy another one.

There are some of us that just don't like driving little cars, and prefer driving trucks.

But apparently, it's only worthless to you.

Last edited by moved; 11-29-2021 at 10:23 AM..

Old 11-29-2021, 10:45 AM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
Hit somebody in that Astrovan, and you'll wish you had liability...

And with 156k on it, you may wish for re-liability too!

Old 11-29-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Hit somebody in that Astrovan, and you'll wish you had liability...

And with 156k on it, you may wish for re-liability too!
I've never hit anyone, even when I used to drive little cars.

My Astro has exactly the coverage that it needs, and if something happens to it, I'll get reimbursed for it. At least if someone hits me while I'm inside of it, I know that I'll survive, though, as opposed to driving a little car.

Last edited by moved; 11-29-2021 at 11:17 AM..

Old 11-29-2021, 11:12 AM

8,494 posts, read 6,900,248 times
Don’t know about the other stuff but the typical insurance on a vehicle is so broadly worded that it’s difficult to accurately determine an insurance rate. General condition of the car, mileage driven per year, history of accidents, driver record and on and on. Get a quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego