Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 05:27 PM

1,126 posts, read 1,141,314 times

Advertisements

I hope they enforce it. I've seen them blocking the concrete benches on the boardwalk at Mission Beach, so you can't even sit down. The picnic tables on the grass no longer have any view of the ocean, just the back of vendor tents. This area used to be so nice to come to to eat, relax and hear/see the ocean. Maybe it will return to that. I did hear they will restrict vendor usage during the summer as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 12:27 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,330,136 times
I am surprised to learn that San Diego used to not have any ordinance on street vendors. I guess they contended with wild west mob rule for a while. I be curious how many from TJ with dual nationality were making a killing with vending carts in San Diego or at least more than enough to cover cost of living in TJ.

I also be curious how it would affect so called fundraising Lemonade stands? I remember some cities had to crack down on them after street vendors and mobile ice cream complained they were singled out while a blind eye turned towards Lemonade stands.

Interestingly many cities around the state these days cracked down and successfully eliminated all vendors and ice cream sellers whether in a jingling ice cream van or a bell ringing ice cream cart. It appears kind of illegal in many cities to vend in parks but enforcement was sporadic with vendors running away if police ever shows up, but nowadays they even don't play cat and mouse with officers anymore they just disappeared, I used to hear their jingle a lot, periodically at local parks but not anymore. I don't know if it applies to San Diego proper though.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:55 AM

50,508 posts, read 47,285,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I am surprised to learn that San Diego used to not have any ordinance on street vendors. I guess they contended with wild west mob rule for a while. I be curious how many from TJ with dual nationality were making a killing with vending carts in San Diego or at least more than enough to cover cost of living in TJ.

I also be curious how it would affect so called fundraising Lemonade stands? I remember some cities had to crack down on them after street vendors and mobile ice cream complained they were singled out while a blind eye turned towards Lemonade stands.

Interestingly many cities around the state these days cracked down and successfully eliminated all vendors and ice cream sellers whether in a jingling ice cream van or a bell ringing ice cream cart. It appears kind of illegal in many cities to vend in parks but enforcement was sporadic with vendors running away if police ever shows up, but nowadays they even don't play cat and mouse with officers anymore they just disappeared, I used to hear their jingle a lot, periodically at local parks but not anymore. I don't know if it applies to San Diego proper though.
Hearing those bells on carts actually on the sand is super annoying. People want to hear the waves crash, seagulls not some stupid man made bell. It's like listening to a car alarm going off.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:21 AM

9,827 posts, read 11,597,081 times
Saw this the other day on the news

Old 03-06-2022, 11:48 AM

3,124 posts, read 1,779,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Saw this the other day on the news
I get an error...

Old 03-06-2022, 02:03 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,478,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Oh but just saw jooson’s post about it only being $38. That’s a pretty low bar to entry so unfortunately probably won’t change much.

That's just for the business tax permit. The vendor fee isn't mentioned yet in the draft proposal the city put out. I'm guessing it will be an all-in-one sort of deal. It's interesting they won't require any insurance. And I didn't realize there's a separate "residential vendor" permit available too. Luckily, there are some decent restrictions written into it. I'm quite surprised the city was as thorough as they were with this.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:08 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,478,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I am surprised to learn that San Diego used to not have any ordinance on street vendors.

They did. State law which went into effect 2019 changed how municipalities could regulate them though, which is why they're drafting new ordinances.

Old 03-07-2022, 08:55 AM

3,124 posts, read 1,779,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
That's just for the business tax permit. The vendor fee isn't mentioned yet in the draft proposal the city put out. I'm guessing it will be an all-in-one sort of deal. It's interesting they won't require any insurance. And I didn't realize there's a separate "residential vendor" permit available too. Luckily, there are some decent restrictions written into it. I'm quite surprised the city was as thorough as they were with this.
Ah ok, well the fees should be on par with any other brick and mortar doing business in the area. That's only fair.

Old 03-07-2022, 10:41 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,762,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
I hope they enforce it. I've seen them blocking the concrete benches on the boardwalk at Mission Beach, so you can't even sit down. The picnic tables on the grass no longer have any view of the ocean, just the back of vendor tents. This area used to be so nice to come to to eat, relax and hear/see the ocean. Maybe it will return to that. I did hear they will restrict vendor usage during the summer as well.
Agreed. I went to Mission Beach a few times last year and remember thinking the same thing about the street vendors. The Boardwalk seemed trashy with all of the tents jammed together and with vendor spreading their wares on the ground.

Old 03-07-2022, 01:33 PM

9,827 posts, read 11,597,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
I get an error...
Oops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AfCYsv1oOc&t=54s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego