Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 09:01 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,209 times

Advertisements

Hi - Making first real condo/townhouse hunting trip in mid-March. Looking for a 1-2 floor 3BR/2BA-ish ($700-900K). Any thoughts on which areas are safest (I know they are all very nice; I just keep hearing about break-ins and home invasions in some nice areas). Is this an issue in Carlsbad/Encinitas (and Oceanside if I decide to go that far north)? Ideally, I would like to be within 15 minutes of ocean, 20-30 from La Jolla/UCSD.

I am very nervous about the competitiveness of the market. I need to close in July (June 1-Aug 1). I will be a cash buyer as I'm selling house on east coast. Any thoughts or insights? Am I going to be able to find something or is it going to be hard with the bidding wars?

Also, I tutor math and will need to find new clients (mostly middle school age)...any thoughts on best area for tutoring?

Last edited by snuffybear; 03-02-2022 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 10:46 AM

Forgot Carmel Valley and Solana Beach. La Jolla is also an option.

Any other areas I should consider? I'm a mom with 3 college kids; one will be with me for a year and the others visiting occasionally. 3BR would be nice for when all three are home (holidays), and also to use one BR as a home office. But I could get by with 2BR if needed (balance of location/community with size).

Old 03-02-2022, 02:05 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
All safe areas. I guess the question I would ask: do you care about being near the beach? Restaurants? 20-30 mins to UCSD would rule out much of Carlsbad and Oceanside. Personally, I would choose Encinitas, Solana Beach or Del Mar. RB, Scripps Ranch, 4S, only if I had kids in schools there.

Old 03-02-2022, 04:39 PM

Yes, I do want to be near beach, and things like Starbucks and some restaurants (not $$$ ones, but ones I'd actually frequent for quick meals, like a good taqueria or burrito place). Also wouldn't mind being near stores like Target, Homegoods, etc...maybe within 15 min?

Interesting because Encinitas, Solana Beach and Del Mar are my favorites; I like Carlsbad too but concerned about distance.

Old 03-02-2022, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Yes, I do want to be near beach, and things like Starbucks and some restaurants (not $$$ ones, but ones I'd actually frequent for quick meals, like a good taqueria or burrito place). Also wouldn't mind being near stores like Target, Homegoods, etc...maybe within 15 min?

Interesting because Encinitas, Solana Beach and Del Mar are my favorites; I like Carlsbad too but concerned about distance.
Everywhere in SD you are going to be close to a big box type store, no worries about that. Carlsbad is socked in with traffic all day, it could easily take an hour to get from La Jolla to Carlsbad during rush hour.

Old 03-02-2022, 06:02 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
While it's fun to imagine where you want to be, it's almost impossible with today's competition. It simply is moving too fast for people that don't have representation. You need an agent. Property around here is going so quickly, that a large percentage don't make it to any MLS list, because they're already gone.

One of the areas that meets ALL your criteria (so far) is "Monarch Villas." (I see it says "apartments" but they're condo's.)

Carlsbad Homes in Monarch Villas - Home

They're in "very" South Carlsbad.

Be advised, the "closest" beach would be Ponto. It has some sand, but it's mostly cobble stones at the water's edge. (But, it's a GREAT surf break, when there's a storm driving the energy.)

Old 03-02-2022, 06:14 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
Everywhere in SD you are going to be close to a big box type store, no worries about that. Carlsbad is socked in with traffic all day, it could easily take an hour to get from La Jolla to Carlsbad during rush hour.
It seemed like all day was rush hour when I was there years ago, I remember sitting on those four lane parking lot freeways inching along, just burning fuel, I can't imagine doing that when gasoline is $7.00 bucks a gallon! When I would ask my friend to drive me to Costco in Carlsbad (I think that's where it is) from Oceanside, he would say, no way, too much traffic!

Old 03-02-2022, 08:15 PM

50,244 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Hi - Making first real condo/townhouse hunting trip in mid-March. Looking for a 1-2 floor 3BR/2BA-ish ($700-900K). Any thoughts on which areas are safest (I know they are all very nice; I just keep hearing about break-ins and home invasions in some nice areas). Is this an issue in Carlsbad/Encinitas (and Oceanside if I decide to go that far north)? Ideally, I would like to be within 15 minutes of ocean, 20-30 from La Jolla/UCSD.

I am very nervous about the competitiveness of the market. I need to close in July (June 1-Aug 1). I will be a cash buyer as I'm selling house on east coast. Any thoughts or insights? Am I going to be able to find something or is it going to be hard with the bidding wars?

Also, I tutor math and will need to find new clients (mostly middle school age)...any thoughts on best area for tutoring?
These people are breaking into higher end single family homes not condos that I've seen. As far as traffic, Sorrento Valley to La Jolla can be a one hour commute and it something like 8 miles in rush hour.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
It seemed like all day was rush hour when I was there years ago, I remember sitting on those four lane parking lot freeways inching along, just burning fuel, I can't imagine doing that when gasoline is $7.00 bucks a gallon! When I would ask my friend to drive me to Costco in Carlsbad (I think that's where it is) from Oceanside, he would say, no way, too much traffic!
It's same now as it ever was. Even on weekends. I am not a fan of the greater Carlsbad / Oceanside / San Marcos area... it feels crowded. South Carlsbad to Del Mar is really the sweet spot IMO.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:22 PM

This confirms what I was orignally thinking - thank you! Encinitas/Del Mar area are my favorites, and Solana Beach, and Carmel Valley (feels like a few too many townhouse communities BUT so convenient). Is Carmel Valley more younger professionals vs. mature-but-not-all-retirement-age that I might find around the other areas? Or is it all pretty randomized? I am fine with any, but do want to make a few friends in similar life stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego