Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 03:15 PM

6 posts, read 5,273 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I moved to SD last year, and have been living near the I-5 in carmel valley/sorrento valley boundary.

This winter was tough no doubt with all the rains, but with those behind us for a while now, I have been hoping to see a lot more sun. However, I have noticed over the last couple of months now that there have been many days where it remains dull and gloomy whole day where I live (close to I-5), while if I were to drive inland (Poway), it is actually wonderfully warm and sunny.

Now I know that during the peak summers, it will get harder to bear the heat inland, but for me, it is equally important to have the sun on my back for as long as possible even during winters/spring.

I do need to relocate soon, hence am trying to understand how far inland I need to go to be able to get a lot more sun than where I am currently. Can I still live somewhere along 56 (say pacific highlands ranch) and see a MARKED DIFFERENCE IN THE SUN compared to where I am right now along the coast, or do I need to go all the way across to I-15/Poway areas ?

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Any inputs from those actually living along/off of the 56 would be super appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 03:37 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,179,299 times
Sorrento Valley is kinda at the edge of Climate Zones 1 & 4, so probably gets more coastal effect than further inland.

I lived just East of El Camino Real, between Quarter and Half Mile Drives for quite a few years, before relocating to Pacific Highlands Ranch. I find PHR to be nearly identical to being near El Camino Real, but going further East (towards RPQ) there is for me a noticeable difference: the morning gray burns off much earlier, and it gets sunnier (and hotter) for more of the day.

For myself, I prefer pretty much the Climate Zone 4 areas of San Diego - it's like Goldilocks: not too gray, not too sunny...not too cold, not too hot.

Old 05-15-2023, 03:54 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,538,629 times
With zone #9 in the picture above (which includes Poway which you mentioned), Summers can be hot but very manageable especially if you live on a ridge or a hillside that catches a nice evening breeze AND your home is facing the East to escape most of the afternoon sun.

This is the situation we are in a different part of the county. My neighbor down the hill will complain sometimes that the hill and large torrey pines at the top of the hill block the afternoon sun making swimming in the pool after 4 PM in the summer time on most days not enjoyable (first world problems LOL) . So yeah, its not always as hot as people think out here.

Old 05-15-2023, 04:13 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,701,984 times
I live 5 miles inland from the ocean as the crow flies. So almost to the middle of zone 4 above. I used to live about 2 miles inland from the ocean, and figured out it was too grey for me.

I found the Goldilocks spot.

Old 05-15-2023, 04:40 PM

50,295 posts, read 47,056,299 times
This is not a usual year for weather pattern. It's called May gray/June gloom for a reason. It's normally sunny 8 months of the year near the coast. Or at least it burns off for a little bit. We had a year like this in the late 80s.

Old 05-15-2023, 06:47 PM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
We live in eastern Scripps Ranch just south of Poway and really like the weather. Yes, there will be some weeks in the peak of summer where it can be very hot, but... we're not talking months of it. When you compare how many grey, foggy days at the coast are in the 70s and sunny here vs how many are nice at the coast and in the 90s inland, then the balance is mainly in favor of being inland. I'd rather deal with a few weeks of bad heat each summer than months of gloom. Plus, the humidity is markedly lower, allowing the nights to cool off nicely. We also benefit from coastal breezes on the top of our hill. Overall, we strongly feel that the coastal weather is vastly overestimated and the inland weather vastly underestimated.

Old 05-15-2023, 06:53 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
You’ll be ok in approx 45 days

Old 05-15-2023, 08:49 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_user_aa View Post
Hi folks,

I moved to SD last year, and have been living near the I-5 in carmel valley/sorrento valley boundary.

This winter was tough no doubt with all the rains, but with those behind us for a while now, I have been hoping to see a lot more sun. However, I have noticed over the last couple of months now that there have been many days where it remains dull and gloomy whole day where I live (close to I-5), while if I were to drive inland (Poway), it is actually wonderfully warm and sunny.

Now I know that during the peak summers, it will get harder to bear the heat inland, but for me, it is equally important to have the sun on my back for as long as possible even during winters/spring.

I do need to relocate soon, hence am trying to understand how far inland I need to go to be able to get a lot more sun than where I am currently. Can I still live somewhere along 56 (say pacific highlands ranch) and see a MARKED DIFFERENCE IN THE SUN compared to where I am right now along the coast, or do I need to go all the way across to I-15/Poway areas ?

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Any inputs from those actually living along/off of the 56 would be super appreciated.

From where you move from, cd_user?

Old 05-16-2023, 07:25 AM

187 posts, read 132,671 times
This has been an unusual weather year.

We live on the edge of San Pasqual Valley (Escondido), and the morning fog has been unusually persistent, not clearing until noon some days. I'm told (we are new to the area) that the gloom is much more intense this year than usual.

Which is still OK since we get the sunny warm afternoons.

Overall we are insanely happy about the climate here. Looking forward to the hot summer months and swimming weather. The heat does not bother us one iota, as long as the AC is working.

Old 05-16-2023, 08:34 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
We live at the intersection of 56/15. We have been waking up to clouds that are typically gone around ten AM.

We also get a nice breeze from Penasquitos Canyon and the valley that the 56 lies in, so we're typically 5 to 10 degrees cooler than Sabre Springs just across the freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego