Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:19 AM

183 posts, read 631,808 times

Advertisements

We are visiting SD next week, staying at the beach. We had hoped to drop into Tijuana for a day trip, but I notice the rental car company charges an extra $27 per day if I expect to cross the boarder. That does not compute. Are there alternatives, such as bus trips, or maybe parking on the US side and walking across? Excuse the naive questions, we have never been to the Tijuana border area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 08:27 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,493,695 times
Yes, you can, at San Ysidro. In fact, it's preferable. Auto-insurance does not transfer over into Mexico that is probably where that fee comes in they are charging you.

Quote:
Mexican Auto Insurance: If you plan to take your car into Mexico, you must purchase Mexican automobile insurance prior to crossing the border. Most U.S. policies are not valid in Mexico. In the unfortunate event of an accident, only a Mexican insurance policy will be recognized as valid.
Just be ready because you will realize you are not in America anymore. I don't think Tijuana is that bad, but you will get approached by children begging for change which can be a shock for a many Americans.

Walking into Tijuana will be fast and easy, walking back into the US is not so fast especially if you are carrying bags.

Keep track of your kids and have fun.

More information: Tijuana Border Crossing Information - Tijuana.com

Old 06-04-2008, 08:30 AM

183 posts, read 631,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Yes, you can, at San Ysidro. In fact, it's preferable. Just be ready because you will realize you are not in America anymore.

I don't think Tijuana is that bad, but you will get approached by children begging for change which can be a shock for a many Americans.

Walking into Tijuana will be fast and easy, walking back into the US is not so fast especially if you are carrying bags.

Keep track of you kids and have fun.

More information: Tijuana Border Crossing Information - Tijuana.com
Sooo...Head to San Ysidro and park there, correct? I have been to other Mexico border towns so the culture difference will not come as a shock. No kids to keep track of, just my wife and I...we planned to go during the day just to check it out and maybe pay way too much for some souvenirs. Life is good. Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:33 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,890,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Just be ready because you will realize you are not in America anymore. I don't think Tijuana is that bad, but you will get approached by children begging for change which can be a shock for a many Americans.

I always bring bags of granola bars and hand those out. They'll come and take them the first time, when the kids come back (little kids too, like 4 or 5 yo) and you offer them food the second time, they will refuse it and leave you alone.

I wouldn't bring my kid into TJ. Its dirty and some people are rough,but its fine as a day excursion for the adults. I wouldn't go into TJ myself either-always buddy up and watch your wallet.

Don't forget you can pick up the Blue line Trolley downtown and it'll take you straight to the Border. Thats how I usually do it. Its a half hour ride or so. see sdtrolley dot com

Last edited by leighland; 06-04-2008 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: added trolley bit

Old 06-04-2008, 08:35 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,493,695 times
Yup park there.

Here is a safe lot I have parked in:

Border Station Parking
4570 Camino De la Plaza
San Diego, California 92173
(619) 428-1422

The lot has 24-hour security.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:59 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
I have a better idea: take the Blue Line from the Old Town Center in San Diego, right to San Ysidro. Or you can access the light rail at many other places. This further takes the pressure off.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:09 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,150,265 times
I have a better idea: take the Blue Line from the Old Town Center in San Diego, right to San Ysidro.

Round trip from Old Town to San Ysidro for two people will cost $12 and take almost an hour each way. You can park in a lot next to the border crossing for $8.

It will take around 10 minutes to walk from your car to the first pharmacy/cab/liquor store on the Mexican side. The trip back is a little longer and there may be a line to go through the border checkpoint. It's best to go during the week.

You can either walk from the border crossing to the downtown or take a cab. Walking is 15 minutes but it's not advised during the night. Last I checked, cab cost $5.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:07 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,233,321 times
I'm not a fan of Tijuana either, but it should not speak for the entire country of Mexico. There are some beautiful places in the country when you get outside of Tijuana. When it comes to Baja California I much prefer Rosarito or Ensenada.

A day trip to Tijuana won't be to bad though, have a great time.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:26 PM

812 posts, read 4,082,254 times
Depending on what time of day/day of the week you cross into TJ, you'll thank yourself for walking across anyway when you see the 5 hour line of cars crossing back into the US that gridlocks all through town. The news down here actually lists the border wait times (for cars) along with the traffic info. it can exceed 4-5 hours without a problem if the timing is right. Walking may take an hour, possibly a little more when getting back in, but will without a doubt be quicker than in a car.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:02 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
I have a better idea: take the Blue Line from the Old Town Center in San Diego, right to San Ysidro.

Round trip from Old Town to San Ysidro for two people will cost $12 and take almost an hour each way. You can park in a lot next to the border crossing for $8.

It will take around 10 minutes to walk from your car to the first pharmacy/cab/liquor store on the Mexican side. The trip back is a little longer and there may be a line to go through the border checkpoint. It's best to go during the week.

You can either walk from the border crossing to the downtown or take a cab. Walking is 15 minutes but it's not advised during the night. Last I checked, cab cost $5.
How much extra to the $8 fee will you have to pay for gasoline consumption though? That is fast becoming a major factor when planning these trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego