Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:13 AM

101 posts, read 329,838 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Southeast (Skyline) where there are fairly occasional stories about shooting incidents. I would definitely agree that it's not one of the 'safest' areas in SD county. I moved close to Chula Vista in a new house in a new neighborhood and my sister's car got broken into a few years ago; they stole everything inside it. I'm pretty sure that such incidents may occur anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 12:24 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Yeah, San Diego is one of the few places in the United States where it's about as safe as it's ever been in 2007. Other cities have been experiencing a rise in crime and violence in the mid to late 00's, with a rising number of gangs among the new generation of teens. In some cities it's either as bad as the early 90's or at least heading that way fast. In Atlanta for example, gang activity has risen since post-Katrina (many of the members are originally from New Orleans). 2005 was the safest year in 40 years in Atlanta, but the crime rate has been shooting up since then. Also, many of the younger gangbangers are ruthless, and will kill people for no reason. There were a few cases in Atlanta last year and this year which the victims were killed just for "target practice". It's sickening and heartbreaking to see what my city has become.

In San Diego all you really have to worry about are posers/wanna-be gangbangers. Although sometimes they can be worse than real gangbangers because they tend to act like they have something to prove.

Economic conditions are somewhat similar to back in the early 90's, especially with the real estate market and credit crisis. Although we're not actually in a recession this time, the economy is the weakest since then. This time, San Diego is not as effected as much because the economy is different. Back then, San Diego's economy was more dependant on the aerospace and defence industries, while now it has more thriving industries like biotech and telecommunications (Qualcom).

Old 11-12-2007, 02:27 PM

840 posts, read 6,516,145 times
Hasn't Atlanta always been one of those cities that's just infested with crime?

When I lived in Denver, I felt very safe living there. Didn't see one gangbanger and I had a couple friends that lived in some of the rough areas there. The crime rate was low, but the year I lived there, they had something like 80 murders just in Denver. Every city is different.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
Hasn't Atlanta always been one of those cities that's just infested with crime?
It has, but around 2005 it almost seemed like crime was becoming a thing of the past, that Atlanta is finally being cured from the disease which was crime. Now, it's under a relapse. Between 1996 and 2005, crime was decreasing each year in Atlanta. But in 2006 and 2007, it has been increasing both of those years.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
It has, but around 2005 it almost seemed like crime was becoming a thing of the past, that Atlanta is finally being cured from the disease which was crime. Now, it's under a relapse. Between 1996 and 2005, crime was decreasing each year in Atlanta. But in 2006 and 2007, it has been increasing both of those years.
Atleast it's not like Philly.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Atleast it's not like Philly.
Yeah, or Detroit, thank God!

Old 11-14-2007, 12:17 PM

75 posts, read 290,889 times
Or PG county outside Washington DC. The Mayor of DC started a movement to redevelop the city and moved all the crime and gangs out of the city. Where did they end up? Prince George's county in Maryland. PG County is like a warzone. DC in general is ghetto imo. We lived in Alexandria for 2.5 years (2004-mid 06) and I was shocked at the news - murder murder murder murder... the news was frightening.

People drive like total pricks there too and will follow you if you **** them off - on two occasions I wouldnt let someone illegally pass me on the shoulder or over a double yellow two lane road and they followed me for miles.

San diego is a walk in the park in comparison.

Last edited by LAAFTERHOURS; 11-14-2007 at 12:56 PM..

Old 11-14-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAAFTERHOURS View Post
Or PG county outside Washington DC. The Mayor of DC started a movement to redevelop the city and moved all the crime and gangs out of the city. Where did they end up? Prince George's county in Maryland. DC in general is ghetto imo. We lived in Alexandria for 2.5 years (2004-mid 06) and I was shocked at the news - murder murder murder murder... the news was frightening.

People drive like total pricks there too and will follow you if you **** them off - on two occasions I wouldnt let someone illegally pass me on the shoulder or over a double yellow two lane road and they followed me for miles.

San diego is a walk in the park in comparison.

I wouldn't doubt it one bit.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:31 PM

233 posts, read 885,870 times
Default Moving in August also

I am moving to La Jolla/UTC. It is an upscale community in a great location. I am paying $1650 for a two bedroom. For more info e-mail me at dwatts@sfr1.com

Old 11-15-2007, 11:43 AM

12 posts, read 92,558 times
Quote:
Good neighborhoods: Tierrasanta, Scripps Ranch, Poway, La Jolla, East Chula Vista, Lakeside, Rancho Penasquitos, Del Mar. There's more but that's off the top of my head.

Bad: Southeast SD (City of San Diego Southeastern Neighborhood Map (broken link)), Barrio Logan/Logan Heights, Linda Vista, Mira Mesa, Oceanside. I missing some areas but again, it's off the top of my head. These areas have high gang activity compared to the neighborhoods listed in "good neighborhoods".

$2000 per month is enough to find a place in a very good area that is safe and quiet. Anything over $2,000 is pretty much upper class like La Jolla. Have you looked into apartments in Downtown also?
basically, you just named areas with no cultures. from someone that has been in REAL ghettos, like compton, downtown LA-skid row, the favelas in Rio, San Diego is a walk in the park. If you are a bit concerned, stay away from city heights, barrio, logan, some parts south, but overall ure in pretty good shape. it cracks me up how ppl wont live somewhere because of a gang. gangs are everywhere. if you live your life to run away from them, you're a coward and you have problems. they dont bother you on a day to day basis, and if you dont start nothing, there won't be nothing. in fact, i had a gang member live next tome near the state area, and he has a gf and little boy, tattoos everywhere. but a nice guy/ not to his enemies though. unless you want to be bored out your mind, i would suggest tierrasanta, clairmont, scripps, la mesa, somewhere near the action but not too bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego