Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 10:33 AM

6,516 posts, read 7,569,144 times

Advertisements

I was just out there in August on my back to SD from Texas, CHP is still out there giving out tickets on the 60MPH stretch in Winter Haven. It feels like most of that stretch is complete and should not be a construction zone anymore, it is almost as if it is left that way on purpose as a speed trap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2020, 04:05 PM

5,775 posts, read 4,732,551 times
Radar detectors are well worth their price.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:09 AM

10,362 posts, read 6,918,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
I was driving home to AZ from San Diego yesterday when I got pulled in Winter Haven. Officer had me at 85 in a 70, but cited me for 75 in a 70. The whole ride to San Diego, I had my cruise control on 85, with no problems. The speed limit in AZ is 75 for the most part, I didn't realize it changed to 70 in CA... I guess I'm an idiot for not slowing down around the state lines... Should have known better....

Anyways, I'm probably just going to pay the fine, but I'm wondering if anyone here has ever fought a CHP citation in WinterHaven.. I'm tempted to hire a lawyer and get rid of this thing.. It's been over 5 years since I got a speeding ticket.. I'd like to keep that streak going...

Anyone know a lawyer that is in cahoots with the fine judges in Winterhaven?

Thanks for your time,
Bob
15 over? Yeah, they're gonna tag you. 10 over too, just fyi.

Old 09-14-2020, 01:35 PM

811 posts, read 624,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
15 over? Yeah, they're gonna tag you. 10 over too, just fyi.
“15 over” is the flow of traffic. Which is typically what most LE officers say is “acceptable”. I suppose that’s true unless you happen across a self righteous Boy Scout.

Old 09-14-2020, 05:53 PM

5,775 posts, read 4,732,551 times
If you get "lit up" in Winterhaven, just push the go pedal to the floor. The AZ border is only a few miles away; then you're off scot-free.

Old 09-24-2020, 02:00 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,369,510 times
You cannot contest a radar cite. You can contest a pace cite. There is a minimum distance they have to pace for and they cannot lose sight of your vehicle during that time due to hills or curves. If you are local look at the address on the ticket, beating it may be as easy as taking a picture there showing a curve or hill.

Note LEOs rarely write cites at less than 10% exceeding posted speed. That falls within "allowable speedometer error". Yours not his.
If you got cited for 75 in a 70 the officer actually gifted you with an alibi. You can argue your speedo read 70 but because of tire variation or faulty mfr speedo your speed may have been 75 and it was out of your control.

Old 09-24-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Radar detectors are well worth their price.
wont save you from a pace cite and when the officer sees that in your car hes gonna hammer you for everything he can. And it may give you a false sense of security.
I guess it depends on the jurisdiction there are some who depend on radar 100%. CHP used to use pace only now its a combination.

Im 58 now in my 20s I was a speed demon always fast cars and motorcycles. Drove revoked for years on my yamaha fj1100 i had about a dozen high speed pursuits with SDPD used to toy with them. Dusted em in my 240z and later a C4 vette.

Nowadays its so much simpler to just lock in cruise control at where you know they wont pull you over at. No looking in my mirrors, is that a ski rack or a light bar?

In your 20s cool is a car with twice the HP you can ever use and the adreniline of white lines rushing by.

At 58, cool is having both my arms and legs and no disfiguring injuries to remind myself and others of the stupid **** I did when young. Many of my friends from those days cannot say the same if they even made it this long.

Im just saying, slow the **** down but if you wont I understand the sentiment and hope you survive it.

Old 09-24-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
“15 over” is the flow of traffic. Which is typically what most LE officers say is “acceptable”. I suppose that’s true unless you happen across a self righteous Boy Scout.
this may be true in urban areas where typically traffic may really be doing 80.
In winterhaven or any other lesser populated areas YOU are the traffic and that doesnt apply.

The commute from victorville/high desert area into the LA basin is amazing, after a long weekend in vegas i drove back early monday morning and got caught up in that.
If they arent in the basin by 6am they are late for work. Its about 20 miles all downhill, all four lanes going between 95-100 mph with about a car length between them.
I guess it works if nobody makes any sudden moves.

I was driving a custom 65 cadillac hearse at the time, powerful 429 engine (most torque of any engine detroit produced that year) but drum brakes... would have taken a half mile to stop at that speed.

Old 09-24-2020, 02:45 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,399,979 times
I would start here: Julie M. McDonald....and follow her advice. Traffic may not be her forte, but she will know someone in Yuma who can provide you with representation.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 10-14-2020, 08:56 AM

811 posts, read 624,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
I would start here: Julie M. McDonald....and follow her advice. Traffic may not be her forte, but she will know someone in Yuma who can provide you with representation.

Regards
Gemstone1
No help. She was very gracious but offered no referral for CA legal counsel.

Other thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego