Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:41 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times

Advertisements

I understand the points about the corrupt politics and the NIMBY attitude, and those are valid arguments.

I was addressing the specific aspect regarding security and access from two countries.

There are reasons to say "this would not be feasible," but I don't think "because people will try to attack the airport to get illegals across" is one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
That's not my point - you started a thread specifically about San Diego / Tijuana - and you appear to have little-to-no understanding of the region. Without that understanding, given both historical and current conditions... you are missing out on why what you propose is not realistic, even if technically possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 07:47 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
There are reasons to say "this would not be feasible," but I don't think "because people will try to attack the airport to get illegals across" is one of them.
I agree in spirit, but assuming your lack of knowledge of the region extends to Tijuana, that city is more corrupt and broken than nearly any other city in Mexico, and the problems on the US side pale in comparison to the problems that TJ would face in implementing a scheme as you describe.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:02 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
I agree in spirit, but assuming your lack of knowledge of the region extends to Tijuana, that city is more corrupt and broken than nearly any other city in Mexico, and the problems on the US side pale in comparison to the problems that TJ would face in implementing a scheme as you describe.
True but as vicman said it's doubtful anyone would attack the airport just to smuggle illegals. These people try to keep as low a profile as possible.

Now the other issues that exist in TJ are another matter and that I agree with you on.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:10 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,829,447 times
The SD/TJ border is too close to Lindbergh to put up a second airport. If SD was to bother then they may as well hold out on the LIN property until the value raises and plan to sell it while constructing the international airport at the border.

I would really like to see SD county, riverside, LA, and OC working together to put in a proposal for an international airport that was part of the high speed rail that will be put up in the next 10-20 years. It is the right time frame, and if properly planned would benefit the whole region.

For an area that is so dependent on tourists we do make it difficult for people to get here.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:16 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
On the French-Swiss border there are two airports (Geneva Airport and EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse) that are accessible from France and Switzerland. Until December 2008, when Switzerland became a part of the passport free Schengen agreement, that meant that both airports had separate zones for flights to and from France and Switzerland.

I'm not sure if this is possible practically, but it would be nice if San Diego and Tijuana had a common international airport.
Yeah, this idea had been floated previous to 9/11. And even before 9/11 some folx went "eek!" at the notion.

France and Switzerland are now both members of the EU. The US "norte" is not yet a co-member with the US "de Mexico" under any sort of institution. (Hey, guys ... Europe has a good idea ... can we frikken learn something from them?!?!?)

Old 10-05-2009, 02:25 AM

Switzerland is not a part of the EU. But it is a part of the Schengen customs free zone, so one can go from France to Switzerland with no border checks.

But this has only been true for about a year or so. Prior to then, Switzerland and France had totally separate sections at Mulhouse Airport. In order to cross from one zone to another, one had to undergo customs and immigration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Yeah, this idea had been floated previous to 9/11. And even before 9/11 some folx went "eek!" at the notion.

France and Switzerland are now both members of the EU. The US "norte" is not yet a co-member with the US "de Mexico" under any sort of institution. (Hey, guys ... Europe has a good idea ... can we frikken learn something from them?!?!?)

Old 10-06-2009, 12:41 PM

50 posts, read 145,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Does anyone remember the far-fetched proposal to build the airport offshore?
Why is it far-fetched? Hong Kong, Kansai, and other airports have been built on artificial islands.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:18 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,854 times
Quote:
You can rule out the near future pretty safely. Like the next 10-20 years.

Did you know San Diego has the same single-runway airport it has had since 1928? It's going to stay that way for a long, long, time.
You can probably rule out the next 100 years while you're at it. Expansion at Limbaugh is your only hope...

Who would want to fly internationally from TJ anyways? ...unless you're from there...

Old 10-07-2009, 07:20 PM

In 2006, when Aeromexico started its flight to Tokyo Narita (the route is Mexico City-Tijuana-Tokyo Narita), it also started a shuttle service from San Diego to Tijuana Airport: Creating a connection | The San Diego Union-Tribune

Since Japan Airlines plans to pull out of Mexico (JAL currently operates Mexico City-Vancouver-Tokyo Narita), Aeromexico is planning to increase the frequency of its flights to Japan. In addition Aeromexico is restarting Mexico City-Tijuana-Shanghai.

I suppose some San Diegans would rather fly out of Tijuana to Asia instead of flying out of LAX or SFO.

On aviation forums I read that the reason why AM routes its Japan and China flights through Tijuana is because:
* The factories in Tijuana that have involvement from East Asian companies
* Mexico City is at a high altitude, and so that makes it very difficult to fly long distances from Mexico City

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
You can probably rule out the next 100 years while you're at it. Expansion at Limbaugh is your only hope...

Who would want to fly internationally from TJ anyways? ...unless you're from there...

Old 10-07-2009, 08:09 PM

457 posts, read 1,345,447 times
Quote:
I suppose some San Diegans would rather fly out of Tijuana to Asia instead of flying out of LAX or SFO.
Umm? I think you are supposing wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego