Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 8,685 times

Advertisements

Hello all.
we are planning on moving to SD area sometime next spring/summer.
I was looking in Carmel Valley - mostly because of the schools, we have two kids 1st and 7th grade (next year).
I always knew La Jolla is out of reach, but recently when I started looking for a house for rent, I found out there is not much difference in prices for 3-4 bedroom house in both CV and La Jolla (3 - 3.5k/month).
according to greatschools.net, La Jolla the only public middle school has rating of 8 and the High School has even 7.
schoolperformancemaps.com shows all these schools w/ max rating of 10.

what do you think and what schools would you send your kids if you were me?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 08:05 PM

132 posts, read 627,857 times
Have you ever looked at Encintias? It's cheaper than La Jolla...you could get a nice house that will certainly be cheaper than La Jolla. Encinitas is north of Carmel Valley, but still in the San Dieguito HS District...which is the best in San Diego. Carmel Valley is bland and boring and filled with tract homes. I would avoid Carmel Valley.

Look at La Costa and Solana Beach as well. La Costa is expensive, but not even close to La Jolla expensive. Very nice homes, safe, beautiful...it really can't be beat....same can be said for most of North Coastal San Diego.

Encinitas has several options in terms of living areas. All are nice. Closer to the beach is more expensive, more charm, older, smaller lots. Inland is cheaper, but still nice. Olivenhain is the "ritzy" part of Encinitas and I sense that you wouldn't be looking there....a lot of big houses on big lots.

PM me for more information. I grew up in Leucadia, which is on the northwest side of Encinitas close the beach.

I think it's your best bet. The schools simply cannot be beat, it's safe, cheaper than La Jolla, a great family town, the beaches are stunning and in my opinion...it's a lot better than south county. There really is no comparison.

I grew up in Encinitas and it sounds perfect for you.

Feel free to PM me for specific neighborhoods....good luck!

SDTeen

My final point is that if you're considering Carmel Valley, expand your horizons to other N. County coastal areas. I grew up there and let me tell you...there is no better place to grow up than north coastal San Diego!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:09 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by col-dt View Post
Hello all.
we are planning on moving to SD area sometime next spring/summer.
I was looking in Carmel Valley - mostly because of the schools, we have two kids 1st and 7th grade (next year).
I always knew La Jolla is out of reach, but recently when I started looking for a house for rent, I found out there is not much difference in prices for 3-4 bedroom house in both CV and La Jolla (3 - 3.5k/month).
according to greatschools.net, La Jolla the only public middle school has rating of 8 and the High School has even 7.
schoolperformancemaps.com shows all these schools w/ max rating of 10.

what do you think and what schools would you send your kids if you were me?

Thanks in advance
They are very different areas. Schools are comparable and I don't think there is really much difference. Carmel Valley is all tract and new construction with high density. La Jolla (proper) is all older housing, custom homes, and a turn-of-the century village. La Jolla is considerably more expensive. La Jolla is also in San Diego Unified which means you will get kids bussed in from elsewhere which can affect school performance.

As SD Teen mentioned Encinitas, Leucadia or Solana Beach are extremely nice areas and is another option, however those areas are not as consistent with regard to schools. Encinitas and Leucadia in particular have uneven school quality and even some downright bad areas, SD Teen or Encinitan can tell you exactly what / where to look.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:17 PM

132 posts, read 627,857 times
The areas I would avoid would be: 1) Just east of I5 off of Santa Fe Blvd 2) South of Leucadia Blvd east of the 5 to Saxony.

Not sure if the Solana Beach "barrio" still exists...but that's just west of the 5 off of Lomas Santa Fe. Fidels is there...so I'm there frequently. Is this true Sassberto?

Elementary and middle schools to a lesser extent have more variability. But with high schools, San Dieguito Academy, La Costa Canyon & Torrey Pines are all top notch.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:22 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoTeen View Post
Not sure if the Solana Beach "barrio" still exists...but that's just west of the 5 off of Lomas Santa Fe. Fidels is there...so I'm there frequently. Is this true Sassberto?
Yes it's still there, up the hill to the east of Fidels. It's never going to go away, that area is long-established with multigenerational family ownership at this point.

There have been a number of gang shootings this year, mostly in Carlsbad, but one just 2 weeks ago in Leucadia (the area you mention), that involved gang members from these agricultural areas of Encinitas. It is not a widespread problem but I think it is somewhat surprising that local PD has not gotten a handle on this after so many years.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 10-25-2009 at 08:40 PM..

Old 06-08-2010, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 5,421 times
encinitas has a gang problem but has a couple nice areas solana beach is alot safer

Old 06-08-2010, 05:13 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd2121 View Post
encinitas has a gang problem but has a couple nice areas solana beach is alot safer

Old 06-08-2010, 05:24 PM

76 posts, read 315,012 times
Quote:
encinitas has a gang problem
Maybe compared to an Amish community in rural Pennsylvania, but that's about it!

Old 06-08-2010, 05:50 PM

108 posts, read 386,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limitup View Post
Maybe compared to an Amish community in rural Pennsylvania, but that's about it!
bwhahahaha

Old 06-08-2010, 08:41 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,489 times
Quote:
Solana Beach is a lot safer than Oakland, yes. Encinitas? I don't know about being a lot safer. If you think soccer moms in SUVs are dangerous, then, maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego