Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 03:15 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times

Advertisements

I have family in San Diego. I have been to your great city 3 times, each time staying 2 weeks. I love it there. I feel like it's my second home (kinda). I usually say that I live in San Diego, but just vacation in Minneapolis 50 weeks a year! lol.

My question is about moving there. In 2004 I moved in with family for a few weeks, but after finding no work after a month I needed to move home.

I am 24, with a Bachelor's Degree, and am currenly working w/ INvestments for Wells Fargo Bank.

For a single guy, 24, with a degree and a pretty decent job, what are my best options?

I'm familiar with Downtown, PB, MB, Mirimar, La Jolla areas...

Where are the best places to look? In Minneapolis, I just found a random 5 bedroom house by a large campus and I now live with guys for $500 a month, everything included.

Is this even possible there? What are my options? What would you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 04:05 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Have a job lined up first. After that happens, look for a place to live with roommates. Start with Craigslist in your price range.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:26 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I
Where are the best places to look? In Minneapolis, I just found a random 5 bedroom house by a large campus and I now live with guys for $500 a month, everything included.

Is this even possible there? What are my options? What would you suggest?
I love San Diego too. One of my most favorite parts of California, but just as unaffordable as the rest of the state is.

If you can duplicate your roommate situation in San Diego, you might have to spend up to $1000.00 depending on how many roommates you get and where you want to live. Mirimar and LaJolla are costly, but some places in Downtown San Diego are less expensive.

I agree with the other poster to secure employment first before moving to San Diego as jobs are very scarce there right now from what my friends who live there tell me.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:16 PM

745 posts, read 1,567,734 times
When we relocated back to San Diego two years ago, we lived in a rented room in a big rambling house (two of us and our dog and cat) with full house priveleges. Shared a bath with a young man in his 30s who rented another room. It must have been a four bedroom on the ground floor. There was also a basement apartment where I think two guys lived. We paid $450 per month. The house was nice with a great yard. The neighborhood was full of nice homes but the area was nothing, National City. We stayed there 6 weeks until our new house closed escrow.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:42 PM

75 posts, read 199,644 times
I think in this economy there are plenty of people who would be happy to rent out their spare bedroom for $600 a month. Not sure about $500, maybe. I think for $600 you're going to be in areas like Clairemont, Mira Mesa, Kearny Mesa.

When you're ready to move out to San Diego, put an ad on "housing wanted" on Craigslist. You'll probably get a decent number of responses. Also search "rooms & shares", there's lots of new postings every day.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:08 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
I am always amazed by the range of responses for the SD forum. It's like we all live in different cities! Anyway-$500 is possible with a roomate in a house in clairemont [15 min from beaches/next neighborhood over from PB]-you would be looking at 50's style houses,but they would be large and fairly quiet,clean,esp. in the bay park border area.

$500 for PB would be tough-however,I know ppl do this during off season-ie,non summer-renting a beach house in mission beach,6 bedrooms or so...and pay around 500.

I live in carmel valley,and we have a good size 2/2 apt with 'resort amenities',walking distance to multiple grocery stores,movies,and many plaza amenities-it is an upscale area. we pay 1460/mo. If you had a roomate,you'd each pay a bit over 700. You would be 3 miles from the beach/torrey pines state reserve hiking-you could theoretically bike there.

Mira Mesa-many people rent out rooms there=craig's list will show you that. Many will advertise around 600,give or take. The issue with mira mesa is traffic-only one major road to get you in and out-and,the houses and neighborhoods vary greatly. I mean,greatly. There's actually quite a bit of crime and even gang activity in mira mesa. Though there are great areas,as well.

Kearny Mesa is like a mid way between clairemont and mira mesa,in terms of options,location,traffic and 'niceness'.
Depends on where your job is,too.
Carmel Valley is very central to everywhere,clairemont is as well.
You could also try UTC for a shared house situation.
Mission beach,as I mentioned,and Encinitas,do the off-season rentals-but that's only for 8 or 9 months,then you are looking for a new place. It's great if you want the chance to live practically on the beach in a house you would normally not be able to afford,which appeals to some people.

I would personally focus on the neighbhorhoods mentioned-b/c you wont really find anything cheaper by going further east in the city/county,or south(ie,chula vista,la mesa,escondido,lemon grove)...and the added traffic,questionable neighborhoods,and heat (summer is much hotter inland)don't really make these areas viable options,IMO.

Good luck!If you have a job with wells fargo that transfers you and can stay with family while you look,all the better!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:45 PM

75 posts, read 199,644 times
Just for clarification, I was thinking $600 to rent a room from someone in Clairemont would include all utilities, including cable and internet. So $500 without utilities seems pretty accurate.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:39 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Here's an example of a $600 shared rental in Clairemont: Room For Rent Male or Female (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/roo/1572622005.html - broken link)

Nice 'hood. I live nearby.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:00 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
This guy is in the same situation as me, I'm 25, My house is on the Market here in Raleigh, NC now. I work in the legal industry for a large law firm. And although Raleigh is nice I was born and have always lived here. And San Diego is where I'm trying to be. I have a lot of friends up in Temecula/Murrietta area but am looking to be more toward Vista,or San Marcos areas do you guys think I can find an apartment or rent a room for around $900-1000 or so?

How is Traffic is Vista/San Marcos Areas?

Old 02-03-2010, 02:06 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
This guy is in the same situation as me, I'm 25, My house is on the Market here in Raleigh, NC now. I work in the legal industry for a large law firm. And although Raleigh is nice I was born and have always lived here. And San Diego is where I'm trying to be. I have a lot of friends up in Temecula/Murrietta area but am looking to be more toward Vista,or San Marcos areas do you guys think I can find an apartment or rent a room for around $900-1000 or so?

How is Traffic is Vista/San Marcos Areas?
Here's a place in Vista: LARGE STUDIO JUST OFF ROUTE 78 AND EMERALD!!! (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/apa/1584210024.html - broken link)

So will you be working in Vista / San Marcos?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego