Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 03:35 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I know that diversity of opinion and ideology must scare the crap out of some of the far left Bay Area liberals that only surround themselves with people that think like they do but the area is moderate. The rally is a bit in bad taste but considering all the violent protests/riots calling him a cold blooded murderer it's not that unreasonable that people want to show their support for him.
Show support for an incompetent moron (at best) who can't tell his gun from a taser? So what exactly are they supporting? Incompetence? racist cops? or what? I guess WC police can hire all the incompetent cops on planet or maybe Mesherle the messiah can become the mayor of Walnut Creek and keep all the minorities out of that area.

I drove to Walnut Creek out of curiosity and it was a total waste of gas and my time. I don't see why people think its such a great upscale suburb! Its a boring, somewhat ugly looking older suburb with nothing to do. If this is considered an upscale suburb in bay area then the standards here are pretty low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 03:44 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
I don't think this is as egregious as some others do - guy was an absolutely incompetent police officer, but was he a murderer? If, as I presume, he made one of the world's worst mistakes ever, then he just shouldn't be a police officer - not another statistic in our overcrowded prisons. Regardless, it's an awful situation for everyone on both sides.

In addition, ripping on Walnut Creek? I was just there today coming down from Mt. Diablo. Who wouldn't want to live in a place with low violent crime, a bustling downtown sector for a city of its size, a cute shopping and restaurant district BART, beautiful neighborhoods with mature trees and a lot of parks, 15 minutes from Oakland, 20 minutes from SF - yeah, what an AWFUL place to live <sarcasm>

I can think of a lot more generic and definitely less-appealing cities than WC.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:17 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Texas looks like increasingly more liberal to me!
Places like Austin probably are more liberal than places like Walnut Creek

Old 07-17-2010, 05:21 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Show support for an incompetent moron (at best) who can't tell his gun from a taser? So what exactly are they supporting? Incompetence? racist cops? or what? I guess WC police can hire all the incompetent cops on planet or maybe Mesherle the messiah can become the mayor of Walnut Creek and keep all the minorities out of that area.

I drove to Walnut Creek out of curiosity and it was a total waste of gas and my time. I don't see why people think its such a great upscale suburb! Its a boring, somewhat ugly looking older suburb with nothing to do. If this is considered an upscale suburb in bay area then the standards here are pretty low.
Damn dude it isn't that bad. I've been to far worse places than WC. Still not one of my favorite places but still not horrible, trust me.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:15 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Texas looks like increasingly more liberal to me!
Oh don't worry, the Texas Board of Education put a stop to that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/ed...n/13texas.html
Quote:
Show support for an incompetent moron (at best) who can't tell his gun from a taser? So what exactly are they supporting? Incompetence? racist cops? or what?
Yeah, a lot of people were holding protests calling him a murderer and A LOT, probably the majority, of people do not agree with that accusation. He made one of the worst mistakes a person could make but that doesn't make him a murderer or a racist at all. It's in bad taste imo but not so unreasonable as some of you make it sound.
Quote:
I guess WC police can hire all the incompetent cops on planet or maybe Mesherle the messiah can become the mayor of Walnut Creek and keep all the minorities out of that area.
What the hell does this have to do with WCPD? And I'm a minority btw and grew up in WC and never had issues. You idiots that stereotype Walnut Creek don't have a damn clue what the hell you're talking about.
Quote:
I drove to Walnut Creek out of curiosity and it was a total waste of gas and my time. I don't see why people think its such a great upscale suburb! Its a boring, somewhat ugly looking older suburb with nothing to do..
Haha, you are the biggest most irrational drama queen. What exactly were you expecting to do in a SUBURB like WC and what was so boring about it? Lets see, it has nice parks, nice nature, great shopping, great restaurants, theater, culture, and arguably the best nightlife in the East Bay. That's quite a lot for a suburb. Yeah it's not The City and it never claimed to be.
Quote:
If this is considered an upscale suburb in bay area then the standards here are pretty low
Yeah we get it, you like that sterile new McMansion style so prevalent in Texas, a state where low standards is the norm.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
What exactly were you expecting to do in a SUBURB like WC and what was so boring about it? Lets see, it has nice parks, nice nature, great shopping, great restaurants, theater, culture...
And a nice new 44,000 square foot library!

There really is no need to rip on WC - I think they're more jealous than anything else.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:39 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
And a nice new 44,000 square foot library!

There really is no need to rip on WC - I think they're more jealous than anything else.
Yep, so glad the city finally got a new library. My mom and little siblings always frequented the old one and I know they are very excited for this new one. Great addition/upgrade to the downtown area imo.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:03 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,068 times
Walnut Creek is arguably the most complete suburb in the Bay Area. An active walkable downtown, clean safe streets, plenty of restaurants/shopping, easy freeway access, and it's own BART station so all the big city amenities of SF are just a train ride away.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:56 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Yeah, a lot of people were holding protests calling him a murderer and A LOT, probably the majority, of people do not agree with that accusation. He made one of the worst mistakes a person could make but that doesn't make him a murderer or a racist at all.
Mesherle is incompetent and very likely a thuggish cop but thats not the issue here. The issue what is the point of the pro-Mesherle rally? Why are these people so much in love with an idiot who killed an innocent person for no reason whatsoever? Sorry! I don't understand what these supporters are trying to convey when Oscar Grant's family is still grieving their loss. BTW, I have seen racists justify their behavior in all kinds of twisted, indirect ways and guess what? I dont like any of that!

Old 07-18-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Mesherle is incompetent and very likely a thuggish cop but thats not the issue here. The issue what is the point of the pro-Mesherle rally? Why are these people so much in love with an idiot who killed an innocent person for no reason whatsoever? Sorry! I don't understand what these supporters are trying to convey when Oscar Grant's family is still grieving their loss. BTW, I have seen racists justify their behavior in all kinds of twisted, indirect ways and guess what? I dont like any of that!
It has more to do with the manner in which anti-police, anti-Mehserle people behaved - ravaging parts of Oakland twice. Sending death treats and even, if I remember correctly when it happened, a bomb to Mehserle's family's home.

If Mehserle made the worst mistake of his life - one that he ultimately has to live for for the rest of his life, and he didn't really intend to kill Oscar Grant and he was just trying to do his job (and admittedly, he was terrible at his job), do you think that he deserves the treatment he's gotten? Just put yourself in his shoes. If you believe the story that he pulled his gun by accident (because clearly those people do), then you'd sympathize with both sides, not just Oscar Grant's.

Mehserle is pretty much Bartman - he can no longer live in the Bay Area when he gets out of prison. How long should making a fatal mistake on the job put you in prison? If the guy didn't intend to kill an unarmed man, I'm sure he appreciates what little support he has gotten, and rightfully so.

It's an awful situation and you have to forgive and move on. I don't get Americans and their constant need for retribution. In every bad situation, we don't always have to go burn someone at the stake. Hate breeds hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland