Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:09 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times

Advertisements

Hello from Los Angeles! I used to live up in the Bay Area until March, and have lived in NYC and Phoenix, but pretty much spent the vast majority of my life here.

Most of the posters in this thread have already covered the basics, but I honestly do miss living up in the Bay Area. I miss having a BART train away from one of the coolest cities in the United States, and now have to settle for visiting until I can get my life rolling again.

What I love about San Francisco:
1) Walking around San Francisco has to be one of the greatest experiences ever. I never EVER got tired of doing that whenever I was in the city. I loved being able to feel like I've been transported to different worlds just by crossing a street.
2) Union Square and the area around Powell St. BART. This area HAS to be one of the most active places I've been in the United States (with the exception of Times Square, of course) I love how everything just seemed to come together there.
3) People watching. There were times where I just sat in the grass in one of the parks off Embarcadero just to watch people go by.
4) Food: SF has good high end restaurants that everyone seems to go all the time, but the hole-in-the-wall places are truly magnificent.
5) Neighborhoods: The stark uniqueness about every single SF neighborhood sticks out in my mind (even the Sunset).
6) Ethnic Diversity: Although almost every American city has some form of ethnic diversity now, I love how, at least in my interactions with people around the Bay, there aren't as many problems as one would expect. Unlike in LA, where it almost seems EVERY ethnic group is out against each other, in the Bay Area and SF there seems to be at least more interaction going on. It was very hard to find areas in SF where there was majority _______
7) Scenic Getaways: Marin County and the Peninsula are probably some of my most favorite places in the United States. I've brought so many visitors to Sausalito, Tiburon, Stinson Beach, Muir Woods, Bodega Bay, Skyline Blvd, etc. and every single one of them were amazed by the sights.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I never got to watch a Dodgers-Giants game at AT&T Park with me donning all my Dodgers gear. Maybe at some point, I'll be able to do that.

There is probably more I like about SF in general, but I do miss the Bay Area as a whole. I'll probably end up settling there at some point in my life. I never thought I would, considering how much of a SoCal kid I was, and initially NOT liking the Bay Area very much before I moved there. Maybe someday when I get some more cash?

To SF residents: You're lucky you live in such a gem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 12:18 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
It was very hard to find areas in SF where there was majority _______
You clearly have not been to areas like Marina, Cole Valley, Noe Valley etc. As a matter of fact there are not really any mixed neighborhoods in SF other then the Mission.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:18 PM

675 posts, read 1,190,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Personally, I think Pittsburgh has the nicest stadium in baseball when all things are considered (view, seats, prices, etc). AT&T is very nice though. I'm a Sox fan from Boston; but no worries, I won't sit here and tell you we have the best stadium in baseball. It's a shrine for sure, but I can promise that a game at Fenway will be the most uncomfortable experience you've ever had at a game (unless you watch baseball in prison). I'd compare it to a ride on the F-Line vs. cruising along in a Muni Metro car. The F-Line may have history and charm in that regard, but I'd rather commute daily on the Metro. San Francisco is lucky to have AT&T park. Beautiful facility. I've enjoyed going to games there. Even the stadium in Oakland isn't as awful as many like to make it out to be. Old Yankee Stadium felt like just as much of a concrete box. Haven't been to Candlestick yet, but from what I saw during week one, I may want to wait a little bit.

Anyway, I've been visiting San Francisco numerous times during the past year as my girlfriend of 5 years lives there and is going back to school. It's an incredible city.

I'm currently going for my Masters in Urban Planning so cities are sort of my "thing." San Francisco nearly has it all. I think there's a lot to be desired on the public transit front (though it's not an awful place to rely on transit, especially when you consider how walkable it is) and the sheer volume of homelessness is a bit off-putting but they don't detract too much from how wonderful a place it really is.

Count me in (what appears to be) the minority in terms of appreciating the weather. I like it. Granted, I come from a city where it's too frigid to be outside from mid-December through mid-March and summers are often too humid to really enjoy the outdoors (unless you're right on the water). San Francisco's Mediterranean climate is beautiful. The mild winters are pleasant, summer could be warmer (as could the water) and spring and fall are beautiful. It reminds me of the weather when I was in Valencia, Spain. When it is sunny in San Francisco, it's hard to picture a more beautiful place.

The drama of the coastline, the hills and the way the built environment coexists in such a varied landscape provides an incredibly pleasing place to be. There is no place quite like it.

I think one of my favorite parts about San Francisco is just how much it offers everyone. It's not a city that has a few signature tourist attractions and little else. I've spent a grand total of 2 hours at Fisherman's Wharf (and don't care to return unless I need cheap, useless additions for my camera or a $10 sweatshirt). There is so much to see in the city it's incredible. Sure, much of the attention is drawn to downtown and a few signature neighborhoods (North Beach, Haight-Ashbury, Castro, etc) but even the not so famous neighborhoods are fantastic. I love walking around the Inner Sunset. One of my favorite places in the city is the West Portal. Even the Inner Richmond where my girlfriend lives has a lot to offer. San Francisco is oozing with character.

I can understand how the prices are off-putting. I can also see how being hit so hard economically can be particularly discouraging for some. Still, it's a lovely city. When I finish my degree, San Francisco will be on the top of my list of places to look for work. I won't move without something lined up beforehand, but if I get an offer in S.F. I'll take it in a heartbeat. You're all lucky to live where you do. You don't need me to tell you what a great city you have, but I'm going to do it anyway.
Pittsburgh does have a beautiful stadium, BUT, it's in Pittsburgh ! No offense, but Pittsburgh is not San Francisco, can't come close. As they always say "Location, location, location" and AT&T Park has the location...........That being said, what an incredible post about San Francisco, you really captured what I love about the city as well. I could not ever have put into words my love of the city the way you just did, great job !

Last edited by ttocs99; 09-20-2010 at 01:37 PM..

Old 09-20-2010, 01:41 PM

675 posts, read 1,190,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Hello from Los Angeles! I used to live up in the Bay Area until March, and have lived in NYC and Phoenix, but pretty much spent the vast majority of my life here.

Most of the posters in this thread have already covered the basics, but I honestly do miss living up in the Bay Area. I miss having a BART train away from one of the coolest cities in the United States, and now have to settle for visiting until I can get my life rolling again.

What I love about San Francisco:
1) Walking around San Francisco has to be one of the greatest experiences ever. I never EVER got tired of doing that whenever I was in the city. I loved being able to feel like I've been transported to different worlds just by crossing a street.
2) Union Square and the area around Powell St. BART. This area HAS to be one of the most active places I've been in the United States (with the exception of Times Square, of course) I love how everything just seemed to come together there.
3) People watching. There were times where I just sat in the grass in one of the parks off Embarcadero just to watch people go by.
4) Food: SF has good high end restaurants that everyone seems to go all the time, but the hole-in-the-wall places are truly magnificent.
5) Neighborhoods: The stark uniqueness about every single SF neighborhood sticks out in my mind (even the Sunset).
6) Ethnic Diversity: Although almost every American city has some form of ethnic diversity now, I love how, at least in my interactions with people around the Bay, there aren't as many problems as one would expect. Unlike in LA, where it almost seems EVERY ethnic group is out against each other, in the Bay Area and SF there seems to be at least more interaction going on. It was very hard to find areas in SF where there was majority _______
7) Scenic Getaways: Marin County and the Peninsula are probably some of my most favorite places in the United States. I've brought so many visitors to Sausalito, Tiburon, Stinson Beach, Muir Woods, Bodega Bay, Skyline Blvd, etc. and every single one of them were amazed by the sights.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I never got to watch a Dodgers-Giants game at AT&T Park with me donning all my Dodgers gear. Maybe at some point, I'll be able to do that.

There is probably more I like about SF in general, but I do miss the Bay Area as a whole. I'll probably end up settling there at some point in my life. I never thought I would, considering how much of a SoCal kid I was, and initially NOT liking the Bay Area very much before I moved there. Maybe someday when I get some more cash?

To SF residents: You're lucky you live in such a gem.
Great post (except the Dodger's stuff lol), really paints a picture of what SF has to offer.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:23 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,239,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
You clearly have not been to areas like Marina, Cole Valley, Noe Valley etc. As a matter of fact there are not really any mixed neighborhoods in SF other then the Mission.
ABSOLUTELY WRONG.

So you take a few examples of SF's whitest neighborhoods, and act like that's representative of the whole city?

Remember, YOU have lived here for less than one year. You are the last person who should accuse someone else of not being to certain parts of SF. Based on your statement that SF has no mixed neighborhoods, it's actually painfully obvious that YOU are the one who have never been to the majority of SF's neighborhoods...either that or you're completely oblivious to your surroundings. Or maybe you only spend time in...the Marina, Cole Valley, and Noe Valley (and a few of the other mostly white hoods in SF).

Dude...YOU even live in a mixed neighborhood (assuming you tell the truth about where you live). The Richmond has lots of white people (including Russian immigrants), and lots of Asian people...including Chinese, Koreans, etc. Or do you live in the sunset? I can't remember, but the sunset is 50% Asian as well.

Stop making things up, please.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:18 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
ABSOLUTELY WRONG.

So you take a few examples of SF's whitest neighborhoods, and act like that's representative of the whole city?
These are not few .... Pacific Heights, Seacliff, Russian Hill and yes even Castro is almost entirely white.. Basically pretty much any desirable neighborhood in this city lacks diversity.. Can you explain why even wealthy and educated blacks and Indians don't live in SF?

Again there is nothing wrong with it but the non-stop bragging about SF diversity is annoying.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:50 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,239,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
These are not few .... Pacific Heights, Seacliff, Russian Hill and yes even Castro is almost entirely white.. Basically pretty much any desirable neighborhood in this city lacks diversity.. Can you explain why even wealthy and educated blacks and Indians don't live in SF?

Again there is nothing wrong with it but the non-stop bragging about SF diversity is annoying.
Once again, you list a few of the whitest neighborhoods in SF. Why don't you check out the following hoods for a healthy dose of mixed-race residents:

the richmond
the sunset
the tenderloin
the fillmore/japantown
north beach
SOMA
the mission
potrero hill
bernal heights
portola
the excelsior
mission terrace
cayuga terrace
crocker-amazon
oceanview
ingleside
sunnyside
westwood park
diamond heights
miraloma park
inner sunset
inner richmond
ingleside terrace
park side
park merced
hunters point/bayview
visitacion valley

I doubt you've even heard of half those hoods andy, yet you act like you're some expert on San Francisco.

Would you like me to provide stats too andy? You'll have to uncross your eyes before reading though, or we'll never get anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland