Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:54 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Noted, but ultimately due to lack of facts, disregarded.
testy testy are we?

LOL...what a laugh.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:29 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,744 times
Oakland wins, its obvio. Sacramento has nothing to bring to the table

Old 09-13-2010, 03:36 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Oakland wins, its obvio. Sacramento has nothing to bring to the table
...except a lower violent crime rate, more affordable housing, and better public schools.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:22 PM

And yet Oakland is located in the Bay Area, has the best weather, has better or more attractions and things to occupy one's self, has the big 3 sports, host major concerts, events, festivals, and parades, and has a better night life

Sacramento has better public schools? Are you implying that a public school in Sacramento is better than a public school in Oakland. I doubt if a Oakland highschool whether it be McClymonds or Skyline, is not academically competitive with a highschool in Sacramento. Don't let the overall school system statistic fool you.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
And yet Oakland is located in the Bay Area, has the best weather, has better or more attractions and things to occupy one's self, has the big 3 sports, host major concerts, events, festivals, and parades, and has a better night life

Sacramento has better public schools? Are you implying that a public school in Sacramento is better than a public school in Oakland. I doubt if a Oakland highschool whether it be McClymonds or Skyline, is not academically competitive with a highschool in Sacramento. Don't let the overall school system statistic fool you.
Of course you can point out 1-2 schools in Oakland that do okay, but what about the other 90% of the children who attend school?

If a mechanic is fixing my car and only does a good job on the brakes, but completely fails to fix the engine, and transmission, should I give him a big pat on the back?

Oakland's Public Schooling system may show glimpses of competence, but overall it's still very incompetent.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:46 AM

And Those were just two examples. You should be more specific if your are referring to a system of schools versus a school itself. You say as if someone was to move to Oakland, there would be no where to put there child. Fact is, an overall system of schools is not what's important, because your child will not be attending all 19 highschools in the city. Pick a school that is best for your child's need. You want a statistic, 70% of the students received diplomas. this can be considered bad. But that's means 30% messed up, not enough credits, dropouts, pregnancy, whatever the reason might be. But that winds down to an individual mindset. You want to graduate, if it is to be, it's up to you. Individual decisions.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Fact is, an overall system of schools is not what's important, because your child will not be attending all 19 highschools in the city.
The problem with that logic is that the good schools will eventually reach an enrollment limit, and then the other Oakland kids who didn't get into the only decent schools, will be forced to go to the crap schools. What happens if your kid happens to be locked out of the good schools? Well, then they get to go to school in one of the ghetto drop out factories. In more healthier school systems, this problem is not as acute as it is in Oakland.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:28 PM

Except the fact there are no ghetto dropout factories in existence within these city limits. According to you, I can't get into skyline or any other highschool, so i go to McClymonds. Pop. 300..located in West Oakland. this is your dropout factory, Mr. fantastic. Yet I have a 3.5 gpa, advanced CST and Cahsee test scores, but McClymonds is the dropout factory.

Principals and teachers tell me that my name rings in the district office.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Except the fact there are no ghetto dropout factories in existence within these city limits. According to you, I can't get into skyline or any other highschool, so i go to McClymonds. Pop. 300..located in West Oakland. this is your dropout factory, Mr. fantastic. Yet I have a 3.5 gpa, advanced CST and Cahsee test scores, but McClymonds is the dropout factory.

Principals and teachers tell me that my name rings in the district office.
Can you post stats showing how many Oakland students have a 3.5gpa and have their names "ringing" in the halls of their respective schools?

Old 09-14-2010, 04:58 PM

99 posts, read 193,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post

The problem with Sac is that it is isolated. But that can be a good thing. Sac can create its own identity. If Oakland was not in the Bay Area and instead was placed in the Central Valley, Oakland would be sh*t.
Can't you use this convenient excuse for many cities in the Bay Area? You are telling me if Oakland were to pack up and leave the Bay Area and take its geographic beauty that is located within the city limits, it's progressive population, it's housing stock, transportation and other urban amenities it would still be anytown U.S.A? Granted there are things that would not exist if it were in the central valley that imbricate with the surrounding area but again the same can be said for many Bay Area cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland