Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:02 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,665 times

Advertisements

Walmart wants to open "urban" style stores in the Bay Area, including san francisco.

The title was one somewhat hilarious quote from the article lol!

Walmart sets sights on San Francisco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 09:23 AM

1,889 posts, read 3,113,049 times
I'm no andy, let's make that clear. But, my stance on this issue-as well as the broader issue of large chain stores in general-is probably similar to what he'd say.

I'm all for a market where there is a lot of compeition and everybody has a chance to "do it better". Markets where stores not named McDonald's, Wal-Mart etc are scarce and have no chance to compete are BAD. BUT, where these "indie" shops have the opportunity-like in SF-they NEED TO DO A GOOD JOB. Fact is, whether it be grocers, delis you name it, indie shops tend to offer less for more. This is a PROBLEM. Walking around many hoods in SF, it's easy to see there aren't large grocery stores. No biggie. I walk in the small corner shops that are "cute" from the outside. Far too often I found that these shops had very limited selections, missing several things I would have wanted to buy. Further, the prices at these indie shops seemed to be a good 20-30% more than what I'd pay at a Safeway or Wal-Mart. Same goes for the indie restaraunts. Smaller selections of both main courses and side dishes, smaller seating area and bigger prices.

I'm all for keeping the chains at bay and allowing local businesses to keep a local flavor for the city rather than being Anywhere, U.S.A. But, the local indie shops need to get more competitive as far as what they offer and the prices they charge. That goes for anywhere else I've been in the country as well. Same dynamic of fighting chains exists in Hermosa beach where I live. And we have the same substandard indie shops getting a free pass from outside competition, which is the very thing fighting the chains was supposed to prevent.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:06 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Listen if Wal Mart is willing to invest in the inner city then I say more power to them. I mean Safeway and Lucky have written off places like West Oakland, and there have been some failed attempts by locals to open up and all have failed due to undercapitalization-NOT because of poor business or crime concerns.

Well, Wal Mart is the biggest company in the world and they have nothing, if not capital. LOL

So who do I call to show my support for this?

Old 09-21-2010, 11:11 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
I don't believe that indie stores are always ridiculously overpriced. It depends on what you are buying. Packaged goods are always cheaper in a chain, since they buy in bulk. Produce/meat/bulk items are cheaper and/or better in an indie place. For example I go to Berkeley Bowl and Farmer Joe's. (and Trader Joe's). Produce is better and cheaper than Safeway. MEat is a little bit more but way tastier. I am willing to sacrifice. I've also started buying most of my staples in bulk and pick up occasional packaged stuff at Trader Joe's. I used to shop at Safeway until I found out the subtle ways they would gip you. For example several years ago SFY brand pasta came in a 12 oz package, instead of 16 oz like every normal brand. I kept wondering why my pasta ran out so quickly and then I found out that was the problem.

I know I spend a lot on groceries (personal preferences) and not everyone can, so I'll be happy if there is an urban mini Walmart grocery stores. My parents and extended family shop for groceries at Walmart due to cost/selection. West Oakland and other neighborhoods do not have a well stocked standard grocery store. I'd be even more ecstatic if these stores would stock less crappy food and more healthier stuff but we can start small and have a full produce section.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:54 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Wal Mart may be too late.

Kroger is already planning to build a FoodsCo in West Oakland
Talk of eminent domain stirs fears in West Oakland - San Francisco Business Times

Old 09-21-2010, 12:07 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,619 times
I don't think Oakland is a great example to bring up in this article.

While cities like Berkeley, Albany and such have rejected penetration of large firms for support of small business, Oakland just hasn't been an attractive enough area for private investment from either sector (Oakland is ranked 76 out of 100 in the Bay Area for private investment).

It's two totally different problems.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:34 PM

13 posts, read 23,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
I don't think Oakland is a great example to bring up in this article.

While cities like Berkeley, Albany and such have rejected penetration of large firms for support of small business, Oakland just hasn't been an attractive enough area for private investment from either sector (Oakland is ranked 76 out of 100 in the Bay Area for private investment).

It's two totally different problems.
Really?
I guess all those Whole Foods, Safeways, Lucky's and Trader Joes in Oakland are a figment of the imagination. Where do all those 400K plus people shop for groceries. Gee

Old 09-21-2010, 12:41 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phorce View Post
Really?
I guess all those Whole Foods, Safeways, Lucky's and Trader Joes in Oakland are a figment of the imagination.
That's only select parts of Oakland. Not all areas of Oakland have a local to "Trader Joes". There are parts of Oakland where the closest Safeway is miles away, which speaks volumes about the city's lack of wealth diffusion.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:42 PM

13 posts, read 23,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Yes that's true, but that's only parts of Oakland. Not all areas of Oakland have access to "Trader Joes".
Neither do all parts of LA, NYC, Boston or any other major city. Grocery stores and fresh groceries in low income area's is a major problem in all cities NOT just Oakland as presented by the article if you actually read it.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:44 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,159,353 times
Mi Pueblo opened stores in areas that were underserved by grocers, and they have been very successful. They did it by tuning their offerings to the largely Hispanic neighborhoods they reside in - San Jose near Story & King, East Palo Alto, Fruitvale Oakland, Hayward/San Lorenzo, etc. Walmart will have trouble if they don't tune their offerings to the local clientele. If they try to open a store to compete with the Marina Safeway, it'll have to be very different from the West Oakland location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland