Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 06:42 AM

530 posts, read 1,351,308 times

Advertisements

Times have changed......is it that bad? I grew up there, along with Jack Del Rio in that era. If Union City is now considered better then Hayward....that's bad. I remember Union City for two things .......the dumps...and the stink! Hayward was always on a steady decline, but man, sounds like it has reached new depths. Still has Val's Burger's though, that has to count for something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 10:58 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,576 times
Even the Hills aren't safe. My parents lived off of East Ave (at the top - first stop sign - neighborhood at the right of it), and had their house burglarized and my step-dad's car stolen out of the garage a few years back. NO neighborhood is safe in Hayward.

I lived in Hayward most of my life before moving to Texas in 2006, and all the ghetto areas I avoided - neighborhoods off of A St & Sunset (by the Mini-Mart), Downtown Hayward BART station area, South Hayward (Tennyson especially) Palma Ceia area, and the Kelly Hill area.

Not sure how much of those areas have changed since I lived out there, altho I lived in San Lorenzo for quite a spell before moving to Texas and while it had it's "bad" areas, it wasn't as bad as Hayward!

Old 02-06-2011, 03:41 PM

337 posts, read 733,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donisanasfan View Post
Times have changed......is it that bad? I grew up there, along with Jack Del Rio in that era. If Union City is now considered better then Hayward....that's bad. I remember Union City for two things .......the dumps...and the stink! Hayward was always on a steady decline, but man, sounds like it has reached new depths. Still has Val's Burger's though, that has to count for something.
Well Union City built up a lot of new housing developments in the 1990s and 2000s. A good portion of the city still feels new. The majority of people who live in these new houses are Asian-American (mainly Filipino, Chinese and Asian Indians). The Union City you're probably thinking of is Union City pre-1990 when the city just consisted of the sketchy Decoto neighborhood and a few other sleepy neighborhoods. Decoto is still the same by the way.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:59 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Even the Hills aren't safe. My parents lived off of East Ave (at the top - first stop sign - neighborhood at the right of it), and had their house burglarized and my step-dad's car stolen out of the garage a few years back. NO neighborhood is safe in Hayward.
That applies to every city in America though. No place is truly safe. But, my friends live off 5 Canyons right up at Fairview and their neighborhood is very safe, and my other friend lives on East Ave ( Now Star Ridge) and again, very very safe, and my cousin lives up on Bridle off East and again, never been robbed, but have almost hit deers running around all the mentioned neighborhoods. The flats are nasty, but the hills are good. The schools will always suck though.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:57 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Hayward is working class, diverse and old. I think it's pretty typical of any town that is working class, diverse and old. I don't know about "ghetto", I suppose it depends on how you define the word. Some people think anything that doesn't look like a postcard or is run down is "ghetto", while others reserve the word for much worse places, where no decent person would purposely live. You see the dilemma.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 8,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank99 View Post
It's ghetto. If you give me the general location in Hayward I can give you more detail as I was born and raised there and certain areas are better than others. However, I would highly encourage your friend to find another area.
Do you know if it's bad over by Cannery Park/Burbank Elementary? We're thinking of buying one of the townhouses there. New communities are being built there and it looked safe enough. I don't know the area or the gang/criminal activity around there. How close by, how violent, etc... Thx!

Old 04-02-2011, 06:38 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsb View Post
Do you know if it's bad over by Cannery Park/Burbank Elementary? We're thinking of buying one of the townhouses there. New communities are being built there and it looked safe enough. I don't know the area or the gang/criminal activity around there. How close by, how violent, etc... Thx!
The school sucks and B Street down by the park is sketchy. Otherwise seems ok.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:17 PM

8 posts, read 41,891 times
It all depends on your point of view..people have different ideas of whats considered ghetto and whats not.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:29 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
I like Hayward Hills.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:39 AM

57 posts, read 134,614 times
What about Kelly Avenue up in the Fairview District/hills? Is that area relatively safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland