Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 01:17 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,698,793 times

Advertisements

McDonalds doesn't put toys in Happy Meals because they like the smiles on the kiddies faces.......

They put them in there because they know it makes kids want the meal, and they know that kids drive a lot of the purchasing decisions in modern families. Love it or hate it, but it's a fact that busy stressed parents often give in an buy fast food for their families. All this law is doing is trying to even the playing field a bit - remove the incentive of the toy and maybe that kid will end up eating more healthy meals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 01:38 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
So when does the local Govt stop deciding whats good and bad to eat ?

How about the Oreo Cookies polished off with a glass of whole milk ? That's marketed to kids. Shouldn't we put a stop to such bad foods ?

Gotta have something to wash down after all that medical marijuana.
For one, SF isn't stopping fast food altogether, or anything like that!!!

Also, packages of Oreo cookies do not include toys.

That being said, I would love Oreo cookies to be banned or, even better, mandated to be made out of legit ingredients. But like I was saying, what the SF board is doing with happy meals is a good start. Just because you can't do everything doesn't mean you shouldn't do what you can.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:44 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
The basic point stands thusly: it is a private company's prerogative to put free toys with their meals for marketing reasons. Kids of private citizens who pay taxes also like that. What's your business meddling with private matter?

Whether those meals are 'healthy' or not is another discussion which is neither here nor there as the majority of what is sold in our supermarkets is questionably unhealthy. Do you pro-intervention folks want to ban 80% of the food industry AND/OR their marketing methods? Because that is where it is headed.
Just because a company is private does not mean it can do anything it pleases.

Oh, I agree that the majority of what is sold in our supermarkets is unhealthy and I wouldn't even say "questionably." And yes, I would be fully in favor of banning "food" that has no redeeming value and the marketing of such, to anyone. It's just plain not necessary, you don't need artificial sweetners or rancid fats to make things taste good, and not to mention the serious health problems that come down the line from eating these. Really, what the food industry needs is a major overhaul. But I'll take any steps in the right direction.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:30 AM

10,033 posts, read 9,510,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
McDonalds doesn't put toys in Happy Meals because they like the smiles on the kiddies faces.......

They put them in there because they know it makes kids want the meal, and they know that kids drive a lot of the purchasing decisions in modern families. Love it or hate it, but it's a fact that busy stressed parents often give in an buy fast food for their families. All this law is doing is trying to even the playing field a bit - remove the incentive of the toy and maybe that kid will end up eating more healthy meals.

Child: "Mommie, I want the happy meal with the free toy in it"

Mom: "Sorry son, SF banned the free toy"

Child: "Oh, in that case give me the garden salad with Newman's own light
balsamic vinaigrette and a bottled water"

The BOS are idiots if they think the kids are going to choose a healthier alternative because there is no toy. It's up to the parents to stand firm and make proper choices. If they can't, than they have no business being parents.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:33 AM

10,033 posts, read 9,510,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
For one, SF isn't stopping fast food altogether, or anything like that!!!

Also, packages of Oreo cookies do not include toys.

That being said, I would love Oreo cookies to be banned or, even better, mandated to be made out of legit ingredients. But like I was saying, what the SF board is doing with happy meals is a good start. Just because you can't do everything doesn't mean you shouldn't do what you can.
Is someone forcing you to eat them?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:34 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,124,091 times
This is retarded. It wont do anything, and theyve obviously over stepped their bounds. Could McDonalds appeal this idiocracy to a high court?

Old 11-07-2010, 07:29 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
This is retarded. It wont do anything, and theyve obviously over stepped their bounds. Could McDonalds appeal this idiocracy to a high court?
Well, if there's to be "Food Justice" there obviously must be an appeal process your nearest mall's "Food Court!"

Old 11-07-2010, 10:53 AM

291 posts, read 958,305 times
Oh, please, people OREOS and TWINKIES are not meals and they are not sold with a toy. They are junk food but this ban is not about banning all junk food. It is about providing a decent meal to children when it is created, marketed and advertised as such. Yes, parents have a lot of saying on this, but money speaks much louder. That happy meal is cheap! That's the single driving factor here, money.

But if you want to stop the government from getting involved with your food choices you'll need to start complaining at the bottom of the food chain. And, yes, I am talking about the government subsidies on corn. Did you know there's a lot of corn growing in this country? More corn than we can possibly eat? Did you also know that corn is in most everything you eat, from bread crumbs to beef? There's a corn product in every can of goods, frozen dinner and in every packaged food. And because of these subsidies corn is cheap, real cheap. It is so cheap that a Happy Meal cost less than a couple of apples. High fructose corn syrup is cheaper than water. It is cheaper to buy soda than a bottled water (not that anyone needs to drink bottled of water but I am just trying to make a point here). But that's not the worse part...what really grosses me out is that when all the corn and corn products have been used to their full extent and only garbage remains, they feed that to the cows in feed lots across the country. They are now studying ways to feed corn to more animals that normally don't eat corn, animals like farmed salmon. The entire fast-food industry is based on their ability to get cheap corn, which relies on heavy subsidies from the federal government.

So the government is already telling you what to eat: CORN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXmF_erEv1o

Old 11-07-2010, 11:15 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,177,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
People all over the country are laughing at your city because of this.
Really? SF was smart (Did I say that?). I agree with this new ruling. It sickens me to see McDonalds commercials where toys are used to lure kids into eating there.

Do you want your kids to look like this all because they wanted that new transformers toy that will break in a week anyway?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33mUwCDrR3g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32imzZWW7fA

Old 11-07-2010, 11:25 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,177,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Child: "Mommie, I want the happy meal with the free toy in it"

Mom: "Sorry son, SF banned the free toy"

Child: "Oh, in that case give me the garden salad with Newman's own light
balsamic vinaigrette and a bottled water"

The BOS are idiots if they think the kids are going to choose a healthier alternative because there is no toy. It's up to the parents to stand firm and make proper choices. If they can't, than they have no business being parents.

HAHAHA I can agree with this as well. Toy or no toy kids will pick what looks more appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland