Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 11:13 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,958,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It would probably break his heart if he learned that Berkeley re-named Lincoln elementary school to Malcolm X. I was lucky enough to attend schools named after Malcolm X and ML King back to back. Most people in the Bay Area understand what you said above and seem to know this, at least when I was there. This is a part of what outsiders don't get when they attempt to "know" the Bay Area.
Apparently those people did not see "X." I remember in high school some losers put up a confederate flag on the black history month board and popular merchandise said "You wear your X and I'll wear mine."

Not equivalent symbols in my book.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:14 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,446,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Apparently those people did not see "X." I remember in high school some losers put up a confederate flag on the black history month board and popular merchandise said "You wear your X and I'll wear mine."

Not equivalent symbols in my book.
Isn't it astonishing how stupid some people can be? LOL

Old 11-24-2010, 01:22 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,740,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Yes, many areas Bay Area are far more diverse and less segregated than even than cities like NYC.

Most cities in the South, Northeast and Midwest are equally segregated. Many cities in the Bay are much more diverse and integrated in comparison.

Nation's most segregated cities - Yellowworld Forums
Uhh your link shows how the Bay Area is just like everywhere else when it comes to racial segregation. Oakland is on two of those lists and SF gets honorable mention as well. The Bay Area isn't some unique integrated racial utopia like you seem to be suggesting, it's segregated like everywhere else, maybe better than some places but still up there with the rest.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:31 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,740,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Land View Post
Right Wing Extremists and racists have 3 cliche people they feel are racist and against whites. Al Sharpton, Jessee Jackson & Malcolm X. Anytime somebody starts talking about they are racists, they are usually racists themselves.
To be fair, you sound like a pretty bad extreme-left cliche yourself; accusing anyone who doesn't like Sharpton, Jackson, or Malcom X as racists. Or basically accusing anyone who doesn't agree with you as racist and ultra-conservative, how is that any different?

Old 11-24-2010, 01:45 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,259,962 times
Oakland has gone downhill since a majority of the middle class whites moved away in the 70s. The rest of the middle class moved away in the 90s, and now the city has been economically segregated since then.

Basically the city is now split between ultra rich in the hills, and poor blacks in the flats.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:46 PM

312 posts, read 502,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
To be fair, you sound like a pretty bad extreme-left cliche yourself; accusing anyone who doesn't like Sharpton, Jackson, or Malcom X as racists. Or basically accusing anyone who doesn't agree with you as racist and ultra-conservative, how is that any different?
Before you try to be Mr. PC Moderate go re-read what I said instead of being a reactionary. There is a difference between not liking them and calling them racists. Plenty of people call them racists which they are not. I'm not left wing either so try again.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Malcolm X was one of the greatest Americans to ever live.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It would probably break his heart if he learned that Berkeley re-named Lincoln elementary school to Malcolm X. I was lucky enough to attend schools named after Malcolm X and ML King back to back. Most people in the Bay Area understand what you said above and seem to know this, at least when I was there. This is a part of what outsiders don't get when they attempt to "know" the Bay Area.
The only thing Malcolm X ever accomplished was further increasing the cultural and economic divide between blacks and whites in the U.S for his own self interest. In fact he was the antithesis of MLKjr. He only started softening on his ideology of "whites can't understand or help us" when Elijah Muhammad wanted him dead. Basically you're proud of a bigot, and hypocrite.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:58 PM

312 posts, read 502,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
The only thing Malcolm X ever accomplished was further increasing the cultural and economic divide between blacks and whites in the U.S for his own self interest. In fact he was the antithesis of MLKjr. He only started softening on his ideology of "whites can't understand or help us" when Elijah Muhammad wanted him dead. Basically you're proud of a bigot, and hypocrite.
You're an idiot in more way's than a dozen.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,958,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Oakland has gone downhill since a majority of the middle class whites moved away in the 70s. The rest of the middle class moved away in the 90s, and now the city has been economically segregated since then.

Basically the city is now split between ultra rich in the hills, and poor blacks in the flats.
The densest middle class areas in town: around the Lake, Uptown, Adams Point, "HarriOak," and Piedmont Ave are solidly middle class (and a bit above) and extremely diverse.

Lots of middle class families have moved out of town in the past 30-40 years, but there are still middle class strongholds in town that are extremely diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland