Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:17 AM

425 posts, read 958,906 times

Advertisements

Who are these Kings you speak of, I know only the Los Angeles Royals of Anaheim!

and us true east coast baseball fans, do watch the AL West, especially the A's, because they are one of the legendary teams in baseball, going back to Connie Mack, the White Elephants and that great crew in the 70's, and the Bash Brothers era of the 80's, no team churns out great young pitchers with almost every draft class like the A's do, the Giants are equally great, the winningest team in baseball history, although that is like being the 1990's braves for a REALLY long time, because for all their wins, they don't have as many rings as they should. I like both Bay Area team, while I would not classify myself as a fan of either (I did collect Canseco cards as a kid and have an autographed 40/40 plaque of his) that was the first out of market team that really grabbed my attention.

The Giants are a classy franchise, I have a ton of respect for how they built their current team, Brandon Belt will be this years Posey. That was a first rate move they did by bringing the World Series trophy back to NYC for the old time fans from their NY days....something the Dodgers never did.

in the long run, don't get too attatched to your best players because they will all end up being Yankees or Red Sox, I would add in Mets but with Alderson now in charge, the Mets wil lbe running Money Ball East.

I hope the team stays in Oakland, because a MLB team having been in 4 cities would be insane, and the A's have a ton of history in Oakland, only knock I have against the A's...their Philly roots....Booooooo!!!!!!! LOL

I really think the A's will win the AL West and the Giants will win the NL West, and we may see another Bay Series, hopefully this one does not become Quake Series 2.

I hope to one day get out to SF and check out Pac Bell or AT&T Park or whatever phone company has naming rights this week...LOL, it looks like a great park, and garlic fries will hit the spot, I'll make sure to hop over to Oakland and take in a baseball game at the football stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 11:02 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,165,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I've been too busy watching the NCAA tourney to care much about pre-season baseball right now. I'm from ACC country and we tend to tune everything else out until March Madness is over. Because I actually live in Oakland, go to As games, and care about the economic boost a new stadium could provide, I feel like what I have to say matters. You, on the other hand...
Hey that's cool man, I don't watch college basketball, mainly because it sucks, but to each his own. You are not the only one who goes to A's games. My dad is a life long Yanks fan and I am a giants fan which means at the minimum I go to the Oakland Mausoleum for baseball a good a mount every year. Your not the only one who spends money there.

I'll explain the A's politics for you though, since you were in North Carolina and all. The A's had a chance to build a new stadium in Oakland. In fact, they begged for one. After the Haas family sold the team, that was an issue from the get go. And it probably could have happened, had it not been for governor elect Jerry Brown who was mayor of Oakland. He decided it was more important for his buddys in RE development to get dibs on building condo's rather than putting a stadium in the heart of Oakland.

When you hear lew wolff say he exhausted all avenues with oakland, he ain't lying. Oakland is trying to do what Sacramento is now, and what LA did with the raiders. The team complains, the city calls their bluff, the team gets ready to up and leave, and everybody scrambles. All off a sudden we got "die hard" as fans "who go to A's games", mean while the Sacramento river cats(A's triple A affiliate) have out drawn the A's on some games.

Its so funny, because apparently all the die hard A's fans seem to have found city-data, just like all the 20th generation californios. LoL. But when push comes to shove I'd bet dollars to donuts there was not a single person here who so much as broke 20 games last year.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:01 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,096,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Hey that's cool man, I don't watch college basketball, mainly because it sucks, but to each his own. You are not the only one who goes to A's games. My dad is a life long Yanks fan and I am a giants fan which means at the minimum I go to the Oakland Mausoleum for baseball a good a mount every year. Your not the only one who spends money there.

I'll explain the A's politics for you though, since you were in North Carolina and all. The A's had a chance to build a new stadium in Oakland. In fact, they begged for one. After the Haas family sold the team, that was an issue from the get go. And it probably could have happened, had it not been for governor elect Jerry Brown who was mayor of Oakland. He decided it was more important for his buddys in RE development to get dibs on building condo's rather than putting a stadium in the heart of Oakland.

When you hear lew wolff say he exhausted all avenues with oakland, he ain't lying. Oakland is trying to do what Sacramento is now, and what LA did with the raiders. The team complains, the city calls their bluff, the team gets ready to up and leave, and everybody scrambles. All off a sudden we got "die hard" as fans "who go to A's games", mean while the Sacramento river cats(A's triple A affiliate) have out drawn the A's on some games.

Its so funny, because apparently all the die hard A's fans seem to have found city-data, just like all the 20th generation californios. LoL. But when push comes to shove I'd bet dollars to donuts there was not a single person here who so much as broke 20 games last year.
You make good points. Jerry Brown could be the death of the A's all over again in Oakland again too with the redevelopment agency issues.

That being said, Lew didn't exhaust all possibilities. Quite honestly, he has a gem of a proposal on the docket right now with Quan and Victory Court and he acts like it doesn't exist. Oakland is already funding the early stages of that development, so unlike in many other cities - i.e. Art Modell vs. Michael White/Cleveland with the Browns, Oakland is pushing forward and funding. Lew is going to have trouble saving face if he doesn't work with them.

There are some people that are actually die-hard... My A's tickets for part of the year:

Old 03-25-2011, 12:05 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,283 times
The current A's ownership didn't want to be in Oakland to begin with. Nothing has changed there, and nothing will as long as these guys own the club.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
You make good points. Jerry Brown could be the death of the A's all over again in Oakland again too with the redevelopment agency issues.

That being said, Lew didn't exhaust all possibilities. Quite honestly, he has a gem of a proposal on the docket right now with Quan and Victory Court and he acts like it doesn't exist. Oakland is already funding the early stages of that development, so unlike in many other cities - i.e. Art Modell vs. Michael White/Cleveland with the Browns, Oakland is pushing forward and funding. Lew is going to have trouble saving face if he doesn't work with them.

There are some people that are actually die-hard... My A's tickets for part of the year:

The redevelopment agency crap is over. The well is dried up and there is no money.

And victory court? Who owns victory court? Hows the city going to acquire the land? How are they going to pay to clean the site up? Whos going to build the stadium?

There is no plan dude, Oakland is saying "see a stadium can fit here". There's no real plan to get anything built and Oakland sure as **** does not have the money to pony up for any infrastructure tweaks (you know the kind that cost sf 80 MILLION DOLLARS when they built pac bell).

As for your tickets, maybe its the computer I am at, but I don't see anything, its just blank. Which is pretty much the way the A's stadium looks when the giants or yankees or red sox are not in town. Empty. Nothing. Zero. People in the EAST bay would rather wear red or yankee blue. That's just how it is. I take my dad to a Yankees -A's game and he feels like he is in yankee stadium west.

Everyone's a Yankees fan, the food and the stadium just sucks is all.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:25 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,096,376 times
Quote:
The redevelopment agency crap is over. The well is dried up and there is no money.

And victory court? Who owns victory court? Hows the city going to acquire the land? How are they going to pay to clean the site up? Whos going to build the stadium?

There is no plan dude, Oakland is saying "see a stadium can fit here". There's no real plan to get anything built and Oakland sure as **** does not have the money to pony up for any infrastructure tweaks (you know the kind that cost sf 80 MILLION DOLLARS when they built pac bell).

As for your tickets, maybe its the computer I am at, but I don't see anything, its just blank. Which is pretty much the way the A's stadium looks when the giants or yankees or red sox are not in town. Empty. Nothing. Zero. People in the EAST bay would rather wear red or yankee blue. That's just how it is. I take my dad to a Yankees -A's game and he feels like he is in yankee stadium west.

Everyone's a Yankees fan, the food and the stadium just sucks is all.
Everyone's well has dried up, brother. San Jose, Lew's destination of choice, is currently being sued for somewhere in the range of 60-100$ million dollars for mis-use of past redevelopment funds? Is there a special term for how dried up that well is? lol

Old 03-25-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Everyone's well has dried up, brother. San Jose, Lew's destination of choice, is currently being sued for somewhere in the range of 60-100$ million dollars for mis-use of past redevelopment funds? Is there a special term for how dried up that well is? lol
I'm not your brother in any way shape or form. Lets just put that to rest.

And I know San Jose is dead in the water, it's as dead as Fremont. That's why my initial response to this thread was NOT THIS AGAIN.

Damon Bruce pretty much coined it when he said 5-10 years from now the A's will still be playing in the mausoleum.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:08 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,041,147 times
As a long time Giants fan I am sooo frickin' glad we have a beautiful ballpark in SF. This team will be here for the long haul and a recent World Series title to boot! The day the team was sold to Tampa was sickening. SICK!

Good luck to the A's. Hope they stay around but it's not looking good.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:

The good thing about Victory Court is, that area is already on the map for redevelopment and infrastructure changes in anticipation for Oak to Ninth. You don't think Signature Properties would pony up a little bit of cash to have a shiny new ball park right next to their new development?

Some of the money needed (not for the stadium part of course) is already allocated for that part of town. IT would be completely feasible to allocate more since Oakland is already planning neighborhood improvements for that area. It is really an excellent site in all respects and actually fits in with the cities current development priorities.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:19 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,353,364 times
Quote:

So you do sometimes make sense...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland