Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 04:30 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,353,364 times

Advertisements

I can't tell if you even know what argument you're having. It seems your worship of the Giants has blinded you to any sense of real world business, as if sponsors are irrational fans themselves. In fact, Yahoo!, AT&T, Bank of America, Visa and Chevron are listed as being part of the SVLG. You couldn't even click the link and read that before spouting off some demagoguery about the corporate clout of your favorite baseball team. Are you seriously an adult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 05:02 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,165,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durfmonk View Post
I can't tell if you even know what argument you're having. It seems your worship of the Giants has blinded you to any sense of real world business, as if sponsors are irrational fans themselves. In fact, Yahoo!, AT&T, Bank of America, Visa and Chevron are listed as being part of the SVLG. You couldn't even click the link and read that before spouting off some demagoguery about the corporate clout of your favorite baseball team. Are you seriously an adult?

I'm not arguing with you, thats why you are having isuses. I'm pointing just because a group of Ceo's whom write several letters to bud selig and company over the course of several years that they support a stadium in San Jose does not mean the giants are not going to respond with considerable efforts of their own.

Seems more like you are obsessed with San Jose becomming big league city it never will be. Let it go. The giants are not going to let the A's get the scraps off the table. That is reserved for the dogs. And it seems the rest of the MLB ownership feels that way too seeing as how nothing has happened in two years.
Even your home town paper knows the A's are trying to scrape the gutter for scraps and the NUKE is willing to go toe to toe with wolf. http://www.mercurynews.com/bruce-newman/ci_17709760
Quote:

One of the areas in which he has been least complacent is asserting the Giants' territorial rights in Santa Clara County, which has prevented the Oakland A's from moving to San Jose.
To counter the campaign A's co-owner Lew Wolff has waged in the South Bay to bring about that move, Neukom engaged a firm to offer background briefings on territorial rights issues to the press. He won't allow himself to be outmaneuvered again, as he was by Boies. And he has not sought any compromise with Wolff.
"My relationship with Lew is not very close," he says, then refuses to talk further about his position on the territorial rights dispute. "I think it's obvious what's gone on there."
Neukom is at the top of his game now, and on top of the national pastime, too. And once again, everybody is out to get him. With Wolff and San Jose sniping at him from the cheap seats, Neukom's jaw is firmly set and his resolve clear: He will deliver to the fans an even better product than Giants 2.0. And this time it will come wrapped in a bright orange bow tie.

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 04-09-2011 at 05:21 PM..

Old 04-09-2011, 05:28 PM

I really don't care that much about baseball coming here because it's a crap sport, but I'd like to see a settlement in one way or another so that Diridon area redevelopment can commence with or without. If you're concerned about my ego, I'll get by knowing that two teams are fighting over this territory because they love us so darn much.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I really don't care that much about baseball coming here because it's a crap sport, but I'd like to see a settlement in one way or another so that Diridon area redevelopment can commence with or without. If you're concerned about my ego, I'll get by knowing that two teams are fighting over this territory while the Kings are abandoning yours.
Yea baseball is a crap sport as opposed to your coveted soccer where grown men take dives that would make a 13 year old girl playing field hockey shudder in disgust. Good one.

And Sac is not my terriorty, I'm not a native, I am from Chicago. The city whom your cubs of hockey got stomped by in the play off run . But hey according to this it seems SAC draws better then the A's sometimes so bragging about the A's going to your city does not really seem that impressive.

Oakland's team isn't getting an A in attendance - SFGate

Quote:
On April 16, they were outdrawn by their top minor-league team, the Sacramento River Cats, 14,014 to 12,225.
And besides, the Giants don't want the city of San Jose, they just want the residents hard earned money. Huge difference. As far as the giants are concerned Single A baseball is the perfect fit for San Jose.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Yea baseball is a crap sport as opposed to your coveted soccer where grown men take dives that would make a 13 year old girl playing field hockey shudder in disgust. Good one.
Weird, Wild, and Wacky Baseball Injuries | Bleacher Report
Oh, but they're manly because the games don't end in ties!!!
Quote:
And Sac is not my terriorty, I'm not a native, I am from Chicago. The city whom your cubs of hockey got stomped by in the play off run . But hey according to this it seems SAC draws better then the A's sometimes so bragging about the A's going to your city does not really seem that impressive.

Oakland's team isn't getting an A in attendance - SFGate
Oakland A's attendance sucks? No way! I had seriously no idea, nor have I ever echoed that sentiment myself....
Quote:
And besides, the Giants don't want the city of San Jose, they just want the residents hard earned money. Huge difference. As far as the giants are concerned Single A baseball is the perfect fit for San Jose.
They tried to move to San Jose and were rejected. They also tried to move next door to Santa Clara and got the same warm reception. They even had SJ logos drawn up for the move:
Uni Watch » They Even Trademarked Landry’s Hat Patch
(first under "MLB" heading)

Old 04-09-2011, 06:06 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,601,103 times
MLB wants the A's in Oakland. Period.

It's all about the ballpark.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Weird, Wild, and Wacky Baseball Injuries | Bleacher Report
Oh, but they're manly because the games don't end in ties!!!

Quote:
Sweet lets take random and obscure injuries and use that as some sort of comparison to a sport where taking dives and pretending to be injured is institutionalised . And you call others stupid and ask if they are adults, ahahahahahahaha.

Quote:
Oakland A's attendance sucks? No way! I had seriously no idea, nor have I ever echoed that sentiment myself....
Well you seem to be the one cheerleading for the A's move to San Jose. No one is saying that you dont think they suck. I am saying its silly to act like its a huge deal when the team can't even out draw a minor league team in sac. Don't get me wrong if thats what you need to "get by" more power to you.

Quote:
They tried to move to San Jose and were rejected. They also tried to move next door to Santa Clara and got the same warm reception. They even had SJ logos drawn up for the move:
Uni Watch » They Even Trademarked Landry’s Hat Patch
(first under "MLB" heading)
Exactly and thats what has helped set in stone San Jose's over grown suburban mentality. Scoff at one of the highest valued teams in Major League baseball and after some good 20-30 year high insight try to court the lowliest team in major league baseball. Cities like that don't deserve any type of Major League baseball.

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 04-09-2011 at 07:05 PM..

Old 04-09-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Sweet lets take random and obscure injuries and use that as some sort of comparison to a sport where taking dives and pretending to be injured is institutionalised . And you call others stupid and ask if they are adults, ahahahahahahaha.
Most soccer fans in this country hate diving and it's not all that common in American soccer. But anyway, the problem does persist within the game without being inherent to it. In that case, I should be criticizing the slow pace, arcane rules and fragmented play of baseball, not the pansy injuries. My bad there. Sorry.
Quote:
Well you seem to be the one cheerleading for the A's move to San Jose. No one is saying that you dont think they suck. I am saying its silly to act like its a huge deal when the team can't even out draw a minor league team in sac. Don't get me wrong if thats what you need to "get by" more power to you.
I'm not acting like it's a big deal at all. I'm more excited by various other projections in and around the city's core, including the rest of the Diridon area. Development is really the only reason I follow the story. I'd be fine with them building in Oakland, but the reasons people give supporting Oakland over SJ are usually pretty outlandish and that's when I butt in.
Quote:
Exactly and thats what has helped set in stone San Jose's over grown suburban mentality. Scoff at one of the highest valued teams in Major League baseball and after some good 20-30 year highend site try to court the lowliest team in major league baseball. Cities like that don't deserve any type of Major League baseball.
No, this was around the same time that an arena was approved downtown. I'm not sure where the Giants proposed building back then but I assume it was not an area which would have bolstered local business. That was also a period of horrible stadium architecture so SJ is better off in that regard.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Most soccer fans in this country hate diving and it's not all that common in American soccer. But anyway, the problem does persist within the game without being inherent to it. In that case, I should be criticizing the slow pace, arcane rules and fragmented play of baseball, not the pansy injuries. My bad there. Sorry
Its not bad. Just mistake. Baseball is a game for the sophisticated and for the patient and it is a numbers game. If one has ADD I can see how they find it boring.

Quote:
I'm not acting like it's a big deal at all. I'm more excited by various other projections in and around the city's core, including the rest of the Diridon area. Development is really the only reason I follow the story. I'd be fine with them building in Oakland, but the reasons people give supporting Oakland over SJ are usually pretty outlandish and that's when I butt in.
Diridon is the most pathetic site in any city over 500k. Its a joke now and a joke for baseball to consider it. I can understand people from Oaklands sentiment. Oakland is a city that has had pro ball in town for decades. They have led the major league in attendance from that locale and they have a good history. Makes a lot more sense then a small contingent of wealthy suburbanites in San Jose who likely couldnt care less if a team comes or not.

Quote:
No, this was around the same time that an arena was approved downtown. I'm not sure where the Giants proposed building back then but I assume it was not an area which would have bolstered local business
Would be a good thing to look into. Stadiums in general do littleto bolster most local business. You are talking about 80 some games at most played at home. And even at diridon, what local business is going to get picked up over there? That area is dead as a doornail. Last time I was out there waiting for an ACE train, the only thing that struck me as interesting was that there was a run down liquor store down the street. Theres no place to eat or club or take your kids over there. A lot of people in San Jose could have earned a lot of money had they been allowed to put their companies names all over the former purposed stadium. Now of course they realize this.

I'll give them some credit tho, they are a day late, but at least not a dollar short, like many fans in Oakland.

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 04-09-2011 at 07:49 PM..

Old 04-09-2011, 10:46 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
MLB wants the A's in Oakland. Period.

It's all about the ballpark.
Im hoping that's the case, of course we could all be royally dissapointed at any second with a press conference announcing their move to San Jose.

But you bring up a great point that needs to be made clear for people who think otherwise. Contrary to what appeals to many people's automatic inclinations, the issue is not really Oakland itself, but the stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland