Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 11:22 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,726,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Seriously, I am soooo over SF at this point. It's noisy, grubby, full of homeless people and crazy people, everything is crowded, and it's really chilly and windy 80% of the time, oh and it's expensive. Sorry to be negative but after 6 years of SF I got tired of it.
Couldn't agree more! I live about 30 minutes away from SF and the beaches in the burbs and prefer the sunshine, lack of homeless people using doorways for toilets, the grittiness of the place and I can find parking most anyplace for free. The best part about San Francisco is leaving.

I can see why tourists fall in love with the place - it's something new and different. But after a while the novelty wears off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 01:41 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,081,480 times
Or non-homeless people from out of town using your doorway as a toilet during Bay to Breakers. It always annoys me how people from outside of SF think that when they come here they're supposed to act like destructive idiots. People actually live in SF, it's not Las Vegas or a 24-hour gay orgy like people seem to think it is. Halloween before the Castro crackdown and gay pride week are like this too, lots of crazy drunk people wandering around. People get annoying and rowdy at any festival in a big city but out of towners seem to take it to a new level in SF.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:06 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
San Francisco is the Paris of America. Biggest plus? No frenchies.

Seriously North California is the France of America. However it is better because its in America. Nuff said. If that wont convince her nothing will.

Then you maybe asking what is Southern California like? Think North Africa. don't get me wrong my roots are in LA but I definitely would not want to live in the southland now.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:16 PM

88 posts, read 223,143 times
I love Manhatten, and there are many great reasons to stay in the Big Apple. If you love the inspiring and busy life-style of Manhatten, then SF might be boring compared to NYC. However, your life will be a lot less stressful because of the nice weather and peaceful people. If you want snow, just drive up to lake tahoe. If you miss large crowds, then hang out in the tourist areas. If you like nature and parks, there are many parks and beaches that are not packed like Central Park. I like SF because you have many options in your life-style. You can still be Mr. New Yorker and act crazy busy and spend lots of money on nice clubs and resturants, or you can relax and enjoy the laid back life. NYC seems to run at one pace and you need to wear thick skin everyday. People in SF don't care how you dress, what kind of car or bike you drive, and how you live your life. As long as you don't try to intefere the lifestyles of other people, they will not intefere with your lifestyle. Also, California is a beautiful state with much to see. The west side of America probably has the most beautiful places in America including Hawaii, Alaska, San Diego, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Santa Barbara, LA, San Luis Obisbo, Half Moon Bay, Portland and even the nicer areas of Canada like Toronto.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:24 PM

588 posts, read 1,320,284 times
The food.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:37 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,783,819 times
It's not super crowded, it's a small city with an urban feel
Clean air
Lots of good musicians playing in restaurants and bars
Golden Gate Park is neat
Nice views from different parts of the city
The temperatures are nice and cool
Close to a nice, diverse array of outdoors activities
Beautiful mountain/ocean scenery

Old 05-03-2011, 12:24 AM

45 posts, read 91,729 times
I love living in SF. I love it for some weird things that don't get mentioned often. First is Presidio. Its truly unbelievable, that such a gorgeous forest area exist within a city that is only 7*7. People always talk about Central Park, but Presidio overlooks the Pacific Ocean - its surreal. The hikes and trails are absolutely stunning and all of it is just a Muni ride away.

SF (and the bay area in general) is also amazing for ethnic food, especially South Asian food. I love spicy Pakistani and Afghan food. I haven't found anything in the rest of the country that remotely matches up to Pakwan, Shalimar and Lahore Karahi.

I also often dream about the Italian food in the city. I know NYC has probably better Italian cuisine. But often when I am traveling for work, I crave the white pie at Delfina and the Sardinian pasta at La Ciccia. Read the NYT article on Italian food in SF. According to them, SF has the most diverse regional Italian cuisine outside roam.

I also like the parks, the victorians and the unique people in SF. Sometimes I hang out in Ritual Cafe at Valencia just to people watch. Move here, it is an unique experience.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC809 View Post
With our upcoming Memorial Day weekend visit, we're approaching this vacation as a deciding point in whether or not SF, as a home, is in our future or not. My wife and I are from Manhattan and we are trying to decide if we will make the return back to the city or take on a new life in SF.

I have to sell her on this b/c I'm positive that it's the greatest place for us but it will certainly be a task to persuade her.

So what do you love about SF? I'd like to take some ideas and see if it would relate with our interests. Restaurants, parks, cafes, bookstores, bars, nature, sporting events, museums, riding bikes, music venues (from concert halls to dive bars), etc...

Thanks, everyone.
just walking down the street near Fishermans Wharf and looking at all the nutty people. It is much better than a circus.

Seriously, there are lots of wonderful things about San Francisco as a visitor. There is the beautiful ocean, great dining, wandering through the China Town area, the hills, the flowers, the Golden Gate Bridge and a trip to Muar Woods just across into Marine County. Would I live there? HELL NO!!!
Nita

Old 05-03-2011, 08:22 AM

31 posts, read 35,311 times
So SF it is

Old 05-05-2011, 09:44 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,266,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
In SF:
Ferry Building
Dynamo Donuts
Blue Bottle in Mint Plaza
Buffalo at Golden Gate Park
Walking through the Presidio and around the Golden Gate Bridge
Cartoon Art Museum

But I like staying on my side of the bay too w/ mayorhaggar. Lots of cool stuff in Oakland.
Yeah, like... Dynamo Donuts (which MAKES its donuts in Oakland! Their actual sit-down spot is on San Pablo, near 62nd I think). The Ferry Building is just a little place for them to sell the donuts they bring in from Oakland.

Oh yeah, and... Blue Bottle Coffee! Their actual roastery (and cool place to sit and grab coffee) is near Jack London Square in Oakland.

So it sounds like you're going all the way to SF to check out the Oakland imports, lol.

If you like museums and want to stay in the East Bay, then I highly recommend the Oakland Museum of California. We checked out the Pixar exhibit this winter and were really impressed by the space, and the premanent collection, which has some very renowned artists and especially photographers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland