Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 06:35 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Strongly disagree! The South Asian food scene in SF is horrible... Indian/Pakistani food is good only in parts of south bay and terrible everywhere else in bay area. Also, Mexican food in SF pathetic!

Frankly SF is full of overpriced yuppies restaurants and seriously lacks in authentic ethnic restaurants except for Chinese and Thai. South bay has way more diversity.
Complete BS, as usual. It's like you just make things up just so you have material to use in your daily anti-SF rants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Totally agree with this. That being said, I love overpriced yuppie restaurants, IF they're good. Many are mediocre these days. The pinnacle of SF dining was about 15 years ago when I was in college.
And you need to try some different restaurants if you think there is not any good south asian or Mexican food in SF. SF has good Indian and good Mexican food, and to say otherwise (or to imply that SF is only good at "yuppie food") displays a lack of knowledge of SF, and/or some kind of agenda against SF.

And since this thread is about things in SF we like: the natural setting, fog, the climate, the GOOD FOOD (including Mexican and Indian), the density, relatively good public transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 08:51 PM

13 posts, read 34,451 times
I do love San Francisco, because it's not a typical American city. You do not have to have a car to move around the City. SF is urban and very diverse. I really feel free there. And what a nature! I love these hills and fog. The climate is perfect for me, it's never cold and never hot there. I don't like 90F and a stuffy weather. It means that you can spend a lot of time outdoors feeling comfortable.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:11 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Complete BS, as usual. It's like you just make things up just so you have material to use in your daily anti-SF rants.
Yeah his BS is as lame as it gets on this site. There are so many angles to attack us from yet he's so pathetic he needs to lie about virtually everything when he's in one of his moods. Notice how his sorry a$$ hasn't been posting in recent days since the weather has been warmer? Yeah, he's not as simple to figure out as tic tac toe.

Expect to hear from him again as soon as the weather cools down, and expect to see the rest of the sane world continue to tell him how much of an idiot he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
And you need to try some different restaurants if you think there is not any good south asian or Mexican food in SF. SF has good Indian and good Mexican food, and to say otherwise (or to imply that SF is only good at "yuppie food") displays a lack of knowledge of SF, and/or some kind of agenda against SF.

And since this thread is about things in SF we like: the natural setting, fog, the climate, the GOOD FOOD (including Mexican and Indian), the density, relatively good public transportation.
Seriously, I couldn't agree more. That poster isn't anti-SF though, so I'm guessing he just hasn't had any of the good stuff. I will say that SF doesn't dominate in Indian and that the South Bay has SF handily beat in that department, but some of the top Indian/Pakistani (Amber, Lahore Karahi, etc.) and Mexican sit down restaurants (Collibri, etc.) as well as taquerias (Ummm...like the whole Mission and Excelsior Districts lol) in the Bay Area are found in SF. Not to mention one of the top Afghan restaurants in the Bay (Hellmand Palace) is also in SF.

Of course trollyadhi01 couldn't name any of what was responsible for making the South Bay so superior in this regard, nor could he give any apples-to-apples comparisons to back up his claim b/c he knows absolutely NOTHING about the Bay Area outside of SF, and he hardly knows anything about SF to begin with! So that was just him being his same ol' self and trying to bash SF and instigate arguments w/o having any real experience comparing the two.

The South bay OTOH has a really impressive array of all types of Indian cuisine, and usually for much cheaper than what there is in SF. If we were comparing just SOMA to like Mtn. View or Sunnyvale (as he likely is - either that or ONLY Irving St ) its not even a contest. It would be like comparing San Bruno and Cupertino for Filipino food. SF does have some really good Indian food though; its just that there are a good amount of spots that blow and the area between Palo Alto and Santa Clara have an extremely impressive selection of great Indian restaurants.

I'm guessing anyone who downs SF for its Indian cuisine is judging it by places like Naan n Curry, Tasty Curry (or as I call it "Nasty Curry"), Ruchi, Mehfil, etc. and not even the halfway decent spots like Clay Oven or Roti. And we know andy is judging all of SF's Mexican on like Cancun and Chipotle lol. Oh wait, he MIGHT have also had Nick's Crispy Tacos, my bad.

As if SF's supposed to be able to shine brightly at the top of every single category and beat out everywhere else in the Bay in every instance. Leave it to him and other idiot SF critics/haters to focus on the glass being 10% empty ("This sucks. A sip is gone from my glass and now its not overflowing. Waaaaah." ), and reach for whatever SF MIGHT not be the top destination in the US for rather than crediting it for all the other many areas it shines in. What a bunch of BS.

And nevermind (in his retarded bashing of SF's South Asian options) that SF (and Berkeley) completely crush the South Bay (and rest of the Bay) in Nepalese. Let's also ignore the fact that other parts of the Bay outside of SF/Berkeley/Oakland/Albany don't have answers to their Indonesian, Cambodian, Lao, Thai, and too many other things to bother listing. No, letKs fixate on what SF doesn't have and berate it for it. What kind of an idiot would buy into this moronic, short-sighted mentality?

Last edited by jman650; 06-20-2011 at 12:50 AM..

Old 06-20-2011, 01:02 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
SF doesn't have enough Indian places and most of its Chinese places aren't very good but the main good foodie thing about SF and the Bay Area is that there's such a huge array of different places to eat. I do kind of miss having something like Devon Ave in Chicago where there were several blocks with nothing but Indian restaurants. Fortunately the East Bay has a lot of good Indian places especially in Berkeley.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:49 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
SF doesn't have enough Indian places and most of its Chinese places aren't very good but the main good foodie thing about SF and the Bay Area is that there's such a huge array of different places to eat. I do kind of miss having something like Devon Ave in Chicago where there were several blocks with nothing but Indian restaurants. Fortunately the East Bay has a lot of good Indian places especially in Berkeley.
I disagree, I think San Francisco has some of the best Chinese food in the states, and I live in NYC. Prefer the Chinese food in SF to NYC. Some of the best Chinese food places in SF, IMHO are:

Great Hunan Restaurant
531 Jackson St
San Francisco, CA
(415) 982-1708

R&G Lounge
http://www.rnglounge.com/
631 Kearney Street
San Francisco, CA
(415) 982-7877

This place is rated very highly in Zagat’s guide.

Yang Sing
49 Stevenson St,
San Francisco, CA94105
(415) 541-4949

Great Dim Sum

Old 06-21-2011, 12:42 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
most of its Chinese places aren't very good
Even in Chinatown?

Old 06-21-2011, 06:02 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,165 times
I think the Chinese food in Chinatown is really good and comparable to the Asian Oasis in greater LA. I just can't tolerate the dirtiness. My wife got food poison twice, and at another restaurant I saw a guy was handling money while cooking (this is a big no-no).

Yang Sing is really good but quite expensive on a weekend basis.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:01 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,494 times
Though I'm hardly qualified to post... when has that ever stopped someone on the internet? Alrighty then.

I spent the last three years traveling around the USA investigating cities to move to. I knew I didn't want to stay in Chicago. I didn't even consider SF at first, because I thought it was too socially radical and too cloudy. I reluctantly visited the city because a friend had an event going on there. And it quickly jumped to the top of the list!

Why?

1) The weather. I hate getting too hot. I am incredibly sick of blizzards and tornadoes. And you call that rain? HA! When you get several inches an hour, that's rain. The stuff in SF is just... pleasant.

2) Walkable! And I don't mean just doable without a car, which Chicago and NYC are, but actually very comfortable to walk in. The sidewalks are wide, interesting stuff is distributed all over, the weather is nice, and nobody thinks you're weird for walking to a destination rather than hopping in the car.

3) Friendly, happy people. Some of you may dispute this, but I say come stay in Chicago (especially the burbs) for a while. Funny thing is, I was convinced everyone in SF was super irritable after reading a bunch of local Yelp reviews. All these one star ratings for grumpy waiters and managers and cashiers! Wellllllll... I guess it actually meant that the SF Yelp reviewers expect friendly treatment, and rate accordingly when they don't get it. Everyone I dealt with was exceptionally perky, friendly, and helpful. Even the bums were cheerful.

4) All the restaurants. Not just that there's good food (which there is) but it's available all over, at all price ranges, and served by friendly people.

5) Nice airport.

6) Proximity to the West Coast, Asia, Hawaii, and, of course, all sorts of nifty Bay Area stuff.

7) I actually have more friends out here than I do in the Midwest.

8) Ocean air. Pretty views.

9) I already have the right wardrobe. Sneakers + jeans + layered t-shirts + a hoodie, which are all my normal attire, fit right in!

10) I had the best burrito of my life in the Mission, and while walking back I saw a guy pushing a stroller with a boom box in it while walking his cat on a leash. You just don't get that kind of thing elsewhere.

For reference, other cities investigated: Boston, Rochester NY, NYC, Tucson, Portland OR, Denver, San Diego.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:36 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
^^^[andy's head just exploded]

Old 06-21-2011, 11:42 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Notice how his sorry a$$ hasn't been posting in recent days since the weather has been warmer? Yeah, he's not as simple to figure out as tic tac toe.
Yeah when the rare heat wave hits I am out there enjoying it! Or maybe I had a change of heart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland