Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:50 AM

3,473 posts, read 5,268,121 times

Advertisements

To answer the OP, all the things you mentioned are wonderful. If you want that slice of Manhattan, then you can have it -- the symphony, ballet, opera, museums (SF MOMA ranks just behind the Tate and the Guggenheim for modern art), incredible restaurants with amazingly talented chefs (both in and out of the City proper -- don't forget about our Michelin-star restaurants in the Wine Country and other surrounds), interesting and eclectic neighborhoods (some with funky artistic charm and others with upscale boutiques), spectacular scenery (bay, ocean, hills, palm trees!), and unique charm everywhere you go. SF is like an adult theme park that includes pockets reminiscent of Asia, Italy, central Europe, Manhattan, Sydney, and then just quintessential San Francisco.

All in all, it's the most colorful city I've been to. And what LA is to film and NYC is to fashion, SF is to food. It's really all about the food. We grow everything here from wine grapes to apples to oranges to artichokes to asparagus to peaches to tomatoes to avocadoes to olives. People are always coming up with new food trends, and everybody talks about food. I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 11:26 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Yeah, like... Dynamo Donuts (which MAKES its donuts in Oakland! Their actual sit-down spot is on San Pablo, near 62nd I think). The Ferry Building is just a little place for them to sell the donuts they bring in from Oakland.

Oh yeah, and... Blue Bottle Coffee! Their actual roastery (and cool place to sit and grab coffee) is near Jack London Square in Oakland.
I think you are confusing People's Donuts (the vegan ones) with Dynamo. People's is in Oakland. Dynamo bakes at their Mission location in SF (I have had hot ones there!).

But yup Blue Bottle is in Oakland.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:56 AM

81 posts, read 170,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
just walking down the street near Fishermans Wharf and looking at all the nutty people. It is much better than a circus.

Seriously, there are lots of wonderful things about San Francisco as a visitor. There is the beautiful ocean, great dining, wandering through the China Town area, the hills, the flowers, the Golden Gate Bridge and a trip to Muar Woods just across into Marine County. Would I live there? HELL NO!!!
Nita

There is much more to SF than Fisherman's Wharf. Sounds like you have a 'tourist' POV. Yes, the people at the Wharf are nutty. They're all tourists!!!!

And I think you were referring to 'MARIN COUNTY' and 'MUIR WOODS' across the bridge.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:40 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times
Women who dress gothic.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:57 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,868,976 times
- Great burritos
- Hot asian girls
- People are pretty cool
- The place is just plain nice

That sums it up for me, really...

Old 05-20-2011, 10:34 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,756 times
Good weed, weather, scenery, family... It's hella spiritual... 415 native said so...

Old 05-20-2011, 10:39 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,868,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Good weed, weather, scenery, family... It's hella spiritual... 415 native said so...
Yeah, forgot the green stuff... Which you can basically just smoke walking down the street here.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:04 AM

950 posts, read 1,515,820 times
Lots of Asian women.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,257 times
i love the fact that it is sunny and cool all year long. it seems like everyday be it in december or july, jeans and a sweatshirt work great!

Old 05-24-2011, 03:09 PM

330 posts, read 749,939 times
Why I LOVE living in San Francisco:

-In my opinion SF is the most beautiful city in the US (and I've been to all of them). You walk around and get one stunning view after the next
-The food is awesome, everywhere. It's rare to have a bad meal
-The awesome dive bars
-The music scene
-The Victorians
-The diversity of the neighborhoods.
-The attitude of the residents. Most people are so friendly, out-going, and generally just trying to live life to the fullest (obviously exceptions exist, as in any city). I've met a ton of great people since moving here.
-The weather
-It doesn't have to be as expensive as everyone thinks it is. There's plenty of free activities around here and its not hard to scope out affordable food joints and watering holes.
-The Parks....ohh, the beautiful parks!

BUT MOST OF ALL: I see something crazy/funny/random/unique/mind-boggling every single day that makes me smile, shake my head, and think to myself "only in San Francisco."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland