Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 01:08 PM

26 posts, read 84,133 times

Advertisements

Greetings all forum members.

I am in so much dilemma about our possible move to CA soon and I need your sincere advice about renting studio/ 1 BR apt in mountain view or Palo Alto. Unfortunately, it would be impossible for me to visit these apts, however, all apt communities have mixed reviews and are very confusing. I do not know anyone there and would appreciate help if people on this forum would give their recommendations about apts they/friend/families are/were living in.

Background:
A recent tech graduate with a job offer in same area. I am a woman in 30's and have a toddler. (Daycare needed).
Budget: studio/1 BR ~ 1500$

Once again I thank y'all in advance for your advice.

Happy Holidays !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 01:17 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Can you stay in a hotel for a week when you're in the area while you have a look at apartments?

Old 12-18-2011, 01:55 PM

26 posts, read 84,133 times
I can try that, however, I was told that it is gonna take 2 weeks or more for paperwork and nicer apts may not be available at the last moment. It would be better if apt is ready to move in when I go there, so that I can ship my stuff easily and also can purchase necessary furniture in advance. If I wont reach to final conclusion about apt community, then staying at hotel may be the last option.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:18 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Apartments rent very fast in the Bay Area and most of the time they are vacant and ready to move into. You will want to meet with the landlord because there are a lot of scammers, also you want to make sure the place is nice.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:29 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Here are some suggestions.

1) Consider adding Sunnyvale to your search list for more appartment options,especially the large professionally managed apartment complex type places. Sunnyvale is right next to Mountain View.

2) Use Yelp for apartment reviews in addition to apartment ratings. Some of the apartment rating reviews seems fake.

3)Check out Youtube for video tours of potential apartment candidates.

Apartments Sunnyvale

Palo Alto apartments - Google Search

Old 12-18-2011, 04:29 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
And Palo Alto is about as expensive as it gets in Silicon Valley. I'd add Mountain View and Redwood City to your list of places to check out, maybe San Jose and Santa Clara. Fremont is just across the Dumbarton Bridge from Palo Alto and has cheaper rents. Lots of Indian immigrants living there.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:56 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetu1995 View Post
I can try that, however, I was told that it is gonna take 2 weeks or more for paperwork and nicer apts may not be available at the last moment. It would be better if apt is ready to move in when I go there, so that I can ship my stuff easily and also can purchase necessary furniture in advance. If I wont reach to final conclusion about apt community, then staying at hotel may be the last option.
I think you've been misinformed. Credit check, show them your accepted job offer and write out your deposit, and you can usually easily move in the next day, as long as it's actually vacant.

$1500 should be a realistic budget for a 1-bedroom, but it won't get you a lot of space or amenities. Sunnyvale, which borders Mountain View to the south, is widely known here as a "little India".. recommend the area south of El Camino Real as having better schools and a nicer vibe.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:42 PM

35 posts, read 151,588 times
What about corporate short-term housing? It's expensive but it removes some of the stress of having to find an apartment right after getting of a plane.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:49 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetu1995 View Post
I can try that, however, I was told that it is gonna take 2 weeks or more for paperwork and nicer apts may not be available at the last moment.
I wouldn't worry about that. There's so much movement around here, apartments are always available.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:25 PM

95 posts, read 172,427 times
I would go with what the other poster mentioned and go with hotel/motel for a bit until you can do view the apartments in person.

Try also asking around at work. Some may be in a similar situation (single + kid) and may be able to offer advice on daycare.

You can also try sublet/temporary housing on craigslist too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland