Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 01:40 PM

79 posts, read 303,101 times

Advertisements

I realize that these areas are not really in San Francisco, but they don't have groups of their own on CD, so I guess SF is the most relevant one (picked SF over San Jose because there is more activity here).

Hi, I'm a New Yorker who will be graduating college in December. My primary skills are software development, Web design, and some miscellaneous IT stuff. I'm looking to relocate to one of these areas soon after graduation for career purposes; I think job prospects in my field are more secure there and offer more options than New York, because they are at the heart of Silicon Valley.

I would like to know the necessities in these areas to live comfortably. Do you need a car? If yes, how is the insurance? Are the streets walkable (sidewalks)? How is the rent? Are food expensive? What are the options for entertainment? etc.

P.S. - I have not visited yet.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 02:37 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,728,065 times
The whole area is mainly suburbia and yes, you will need a car. There is bus public transit in the area as well as a commuter train between San Francisco and San Jose that stops in all the towns you mentioned. They do have sidewalks in most places but without a car, it can be a long walk to anywhere.

Palo Alto tends to have higher rents than the other 2 towns mentioned.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:48 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,605,428 times
You can find good affordable food. Of course, nothing is comparable to NYC, but the Bay in general is top-notch, with a range of types and prices. Particularly Asian reataurants.
A car would be likely a neccesity. You could theoretically get by without one if you lived close to work, but your life with one is vastly superior. Most places have sidewalks, but as previously stated, you probably will be driving everywhere.
Entertainment is typical suburbia. Kids of drivable age, and many adults as well, end up driving to SF for entertainment. But decent food is available all around.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:40 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,728,065 times
There is some entertainment in the area such as Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View Shoreline Amphitheater Tickets as well as some clubs. There is a lot more to do in San Francisco or downtown San Jose.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:55 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,411,374 times
For a young person coming out of school, the most exciting is Palo Alto, the least Sunnyvale. Cost wise PA is up there, with MV and S'vale slightly lower. S'vale is significantly more plastique than either MV or PA. S'vale is more of a place that has lots of enclaves of foreign immigrant families, whereas MV and PA are more bohemian, PA particularly so. PA has a wonderful downtown, MV's is good (and has lot of decent Asian places) and Sunnyvale's is quite small but OK.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:46 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terribleChild View Post
I would like to know the necessities in these areas to live comfortably. Do you need a car? If yes, how is the insurance? Are the streets walkable (sidewalks)? How is the rent? Are food expensive? What are the options for entertainment? etc.

P.S. - I have not visited yet.

Thanks in advance.
I agree with everyone else...you need a car to live decently here. Insurance rates are probably not the lowest, but reasonable. (I pay $75 a month for my 12 year old economy car, so maybe I'm biased. I also get an excellent dealth for auto insurance through USAA, which is not available to everyone).

Rents are high, but you are used to that being from New York. You're probably going to pay $1500 for a nice 1BR. It's possible to get a decent place cheaper than that if you stay away from the mega apartment complexes and don't want/need amenities like a pool/hot tub in your complex.

I personally think food prices are high here. But comparing with New York, they are probably the same, maybe lower.

Entertainment options are indeed typical suburban. Palo Alto is a great place to live (a nice downtown, more nightlife) if you can afford the higher rents there. A lot of people go to San Francisco for entertainment. San Jose does have stuff to do, but it is somewhat lacking for a city of nearly 1M people.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
For a young person coming out of school, the most exciting is Palo Alto, the least Sunnyvale. Cost wise PA is up there, with MV and S'vale slightly lower. S'vale is significantly more plastique than either MV or PA. S'vale is more of a place that has lots of enclaves of foreign immigrant families, whereas MV and PA are more bohemian, PA particularly so. PA has a wonderful downtown, MV's is good (and has lot of decent Asian places) and Sunnyvale's is quite small but OK.
I think this greatly exaggerates the differences between all these places, particularly between MV and Svale. They bleed into each other. I usually don't even know where one ends and the other begins and I grew up in the area. I believe Sunnyvale is actually the 2nd largest city in the county, after San Jose. The whole Bay Area is pretty plastic these days.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I personally think food prices are high here. But comparing with New York, they are probably the same, maybe lower.
I think it depends what kind of food you are looking for. If you are happy with things like Pho and burritos, then the food is cheap. If you want sit-down dinners and such, then it'll be more pricey. The range is just bigger. I'm currently in Birmingham Alabama, where the food is aroun $8-10 for most types of decent food, but great food of the highest quality ingredients and fancy schmancy preparation is generally still under $20, and sometimes even below $15, for a meal that would cost $30-50 in the Bay. However, there's no such thing as a decent $4 burritto. Or decent Mexican in general. Or much of any restaurants opened by immigrants.
NYC will of course have even greater variety. You just can't beat it in the US. Perhaps LA rivals its Asian food.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:48 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
I think it depends what kind of food you are looking for. If you are happy with things like Pho and burritos, then the food is cheap. If you want sit-down dinners and such, then it'll be more pricey. The range is just bigger. I'm currently in Birmingham Alabama, where the food is aroun $8-10 for most types of decent food, but great food of the highest quality ingredients and fancy schmancy preparation is generally still under $20, and sometimes even below $15, for a meal that would cost $30-50 in the Bay. However, there's no such thing as a decent $4 burritto. Or decent Mexican in general. Or much of any restaurants opened by immigrants.
NYC will of course have even greater variety. You just can't beat it in the US. Perhaps LA rivals its Asian food.
I was talking groceries more than I was talking restaurants.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:21 AM

79 posts, read 303,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

Yeah, food in New York is pretty ridiculous. Gas is even worse.

How far are these suburbs away from SF (car wise)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland