Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:27 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I personally know several people here in the Bay Area that are transplants yet have kept their original state tags (i.e.: NH, VA, CO, IL). They don't want to go through the expenses of the CA DMV.

Me, I switched plates b/c registration was comparably priced to my old state and I said, "might as well."
Ahh, do the cops pursue these things?

I've been debating if I should switch everything over or just keep everything Illinois to save hassle later. I'll be working in the Bay Area for a 2 year gig, but I own property and plan to return to Chicago when I'm done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 11:37 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,698,331 times
Cops won't pull you over JUST for out of state plates, but if you do ever get pulled over they'll ask you some very uncomfortable questions.

The bigger problem is that you're now committing insurance fraud, and you don't want to mess with the insurance companies. Get on their blacklist and you'll be in the highest risk pool for years.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:06 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Cops won't pull you over JUST for out of state plates, but if you do ever get pulled over they'll ask you some very uncomfortable questions.

The bigger problem is that you're now committing insurance fraud, and you don't want to mess with the insurance companies. Get on their blacklist and you'll be in the highest risk pool for years.
Any idea what type of lawyer would specialize in this type of determination?

If I'm only in Cali for a contract job, but I need to get living arrangements there, the company is based in Utah, I keep my check stubs registered to Chicago, file taxes in Chicago, own property / pay property taxes in Chicago, registered to vote in Chicago, and return to Chicago once, twice a month, am I still a legal California resident?

Old 05-04-2012, 05:04 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Like, "Are you aware that all motorists bearing out-of-state plates, when pulled over by the CHP, are subject to a vehicle inspection and mandatory cavity search?"

Old 05-06-2012, 11:33 PM

129 posts, read 336,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrute View Post
Yes, I realize there's girls in the street, in libraries, on the public transportation but so few seem 'available'. I didn't think the gender ratio was that extreme. So where does a single girl in San Francisco hang out?
It doesn't matter which city you're in. All women are the same. Just lie your ass off and you'll do perfectly.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:19 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymanero View Post
Just lie your ass off and you'll do perfectly.
Perfectly happy alone at home with Mr. Hand.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:59 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymanero View Post
It doesn't matter which city you're in. All women are the same. Just lie your ass off and you'll do perfectly.
Intelligent women can spot a con artist in seconds. Maybe you're not picky.

I hang out at the beach and in GG Park. Also around downtown and at museums. The Embarcadero area is nice, good for lunch. In the summer, they have bands that play during lunch. Pick up the events section of the local newspaper and go to weekend events around the city and around the Bay Area. There are lots of outdoor concerts. Art gallery show openings are great for socializing. Free refreshments, easy to get a conversation going about the art, or about anything.

Haven't we already been through this? If you haven't got your answer by now, it's not going to happen. There's no magic formula.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:56 PM

388 posts, read 1,017,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Haven't we already been through this? If you haven't got your answer by now, it's not going to happen. There's no magic formula.
I have always found rufies to work quite well

Old 05-12-2012, 12:59 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is a good idea. Also join the Sierra Club and go on hikes. They organize ones for singles.
I'm going to change my vote for Events and Adventures. I wasn't impressed. Just to see if it was worth recommending to my single friends who are moving here, I went to an event with a friend who is a member. She actually goes because she has a mental disorder and gets depressed and self-mutilates when she spends too much time by herself, so E&A is therapy for her, to keep her from hurting herself.

They schedule events and outings and strangers come together and participate. Members attend many events and become familiar with other members who attend the same events. Eventually, you may get lucky. The fun seems so damn contrived though. Laugh because you're supposed to as opposed to laughing because something is worth laughing at. I didn't care for this aspect of it. There appeared to be a bunch of men and women who look like they ordinarily have a very difficult time attracting the opposite sex. Some real desperados on both sides. Made me glad to be married.

If I were single, I'd do the things I enjoy, then meet women that way. This would include cycling, running, martial arts, and yoga. I play violin, so I would do that more, even join an orchestra. Plenty of beautiful woman at work too. I would rely on friends, and meet friends of friends. I would approach women I found attractive. There are so many ways to meet women, if you are an interesting person, look the best you can be, and have your sh*t together. I'd stay away from online dating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland