Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 01:07 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiezbug View Post
I'm serious. Even some of the posters on here have warned me away from Oakland.
Be wary of someone's opinion if it was formed from only watching the news, driving through on the freeway or visiting the airport. You should ask people who actually live in the city what it is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 01:44 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,082,250 times
Quote:
I'm serious. Even some of the posters on here have warned me away from Oakland.
This forum is infested with douchebags who don't live anywhere near Oakland who think they know everything there is to know about Oakland. Spend an afternoon on College Ave in Rockridge and then tell us how you feel about Oakland. If you're still scared, go move to Utah.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:56 AM

13 posts, read 28,924 times
Oakland can be bad but it also can be the best place to live. It all depends on what neighborhood you are in. Right now, I live in Emeryville, which is a small city crammed in between Oakland and Berkeley. If you move one street over sometimes, you are in Berkeley, and sometimes you are in Oakland. I LOVE Emeryville. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it as a great place to rent an apartment.
Here are my reasons:

1. It is right next to the water. I live on the water. I have views of the Bay Bridge, the city skyline, and the Golden Gate Bridge. Win.
2. Where I live in Emeryville, I have a private entrance to the Bay Bridge that is hardly ever used because of the location. Less traffic, no maze. Win.
3. The majority of my neighbors are retired, meaning they are always at home. They never complain about loud music and are extremely nice. They are pretty much neighborhood watch since they walk around and are in their apartments a lot. It is safe here. Win.
4. The rent is A LOT cheaper that in SF and is pretty comparable to Oakland's cheaper apartment prices. I pay $1500 for a water front, 1 bedroom, with a storage unit inside the unit. It also comes with a parking space. Win.
5. If you commute using BART, there is a FREE shuttle that comes and takes you there from your place of residency. WIN.
6. If you want to use ZIPCAR, you can for FREE as an Emeryville resident. FREEEEEE!

Overall, Emeryville has more rentals than probably any other east bay city. Emeryville focuses on commuters. They give you free perks. Emeryville is in a great location to get into and out of the city. It is so close to Berkeley, that you might feel like you live there but you aren't near a bunch of idiotic college students. Seriously, Emeryville is one of the best places to live.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:00 AM

13 posts, read 28,924 times
Oh and might I add that if you are going to have a car in Berkeley, you will increase your commute time significantly. Driving in Berkeley sucks. Biking in Berkeley is okay but still sucks because of all the cars. Not a driving safe city, thats for sure.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:28 PM

137 posts, read 543,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASFMID View Post
Oakland can be bad but it also can be the best place to live. It all depends on what neighborhood you are in. Right now, I live in Emeryville, which is a small city crammed in between Oakland and Berkeley. If you move one street over sometimes, you are in Berkeley, and sometimes you are in Oakland. I LOVE Emeryville. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it as a great place to rent an apartment.
Here are my reasons:

1. It is right next to the water. I live on the water. I have views of the Bay Bridge, the city skyline, and the Golden Gate Bridge. Win.
2. Where I live in Emeryville, I have a private entrance to the Bay Bridge that is hardly ever used because of the location. Less traffic, no maze. Win.
3. The majority of my neighbors are retired, meaning they are always at home. They never complain about loud music and are extremely nice. They are pretty much neighborhood watch since they walk around and are in their apartments a lot. It is safe here. Win.
4. The rent is A LOT cheaper that in SF and is pretty comparable to Oakland's cheaper apartment prices. I pay $1500 for a water front, 1 bedroom, with a storage unit inside the unit. It also comes with a parking space. Win.
5. If you commute using BART, there is a FREE shuttle that comes and takes you there from your place of residency. WIN.
6. If you want to use ZIPCAR, you can for FREE as an Emeryville resident. FREEEEEE!

Overall, Emeryville has more rentals than probably any other east bay city. Emeryville focuses on commuters. They give you free perks. Emeryville is in a great location to get into and out of the city. It is so close to Berkeley, that you might feel like you live there but you aren't near a bunch of idiotic college students. Seriously, Emeryville is one of the best places to live.
Thanks! One more option for me to consider :-)

Is all of Emeryville safe, or are there parts of it I should avoid?

Old 04-28-2012, 05:22 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
I was looking for shared apartments in albany/el cerritos, but it's mostly a room in a shared house.

Where in East Bay are there the most young professionals sharing apartments?

Thanks!
Check out Emeryville, bordering on the Bay. Formerly part of Berkeley, but at some point it got sliced off from Berkeley and turned into an industrial area, but years ago it got developed into a residential area with a lot of apartments, condos, shops, restaurants. It's transformed. Rents may be lower than in Berkeley. Though there are cheaper apartments below Shattuck Ave. (meaning: just west of Shattuck) not far from the university. There are some apartment complexes that have more compact apartments in them, meaning less square footage, but more affordable than other areas around the university.

Check Craigslist, East Bay listings to compare.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:40 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
This forum is infested with douchebags who don't live anywhere near Oakland who think they know everything there is to know about Oakland. Spend an afternoon on College Ave in Rockridge and then tell us how you feel about Oakland.
This is true. Rockridge and Piedmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland