Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 03:42 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac6270 View Post
But just try and justify a counter argument by saying that black men get profiled all the time and it should be expected.
Nobody disputes that. Black men get it worse than anybody. But it's also a fish-out-of-water thing that gets cops irritable in many different neighborhoods, which reaches across certain identifiable groups. If they don't know you, they just might heckle you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 03:45 PM

46 posts, read 78,720 times
King Georges do you have any counter arguments or just trolling commennntttss???? Please present some facts in response. thank you.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:50 PM

46 posts, read 78,720 times
I was a fish out of water in all of SF being one of the few stylishly dressed black men in all of SF. So maybe I should have been profiled all over that town considering SF doesn't have any middle class blacks.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I was a fish out of water in all of SF being one of the few stylishly dressed black men in all of SF. So maybe I should have been profiled all over that town considering SF doesn't have any middle class blacks.
SF cops aren't known for bothering yuppies. If they have been in the habit of bothering black guys, the city, SFPD and Chronicle diligently bury such information. Anything to keep up a facade of a squeaky clean tourist jewel.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:50 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
bigdumbgod you sir are an idiot. Veganwriter said that he was stopped in the middle of the day in a black neighborhood for doing errands. So today a black man in his 50's can't even use an ATM in a black neighborhood without being profiled? We all know that most police officers and firefighters in SF do not live there. So they come to San Francisco on a daily basis for work and just assume all black people are evil. Yes SF has Black neighborhoods, but it's mostly section 8 housing in Hunter's Point or western addition. So the answer to the original posters question is yes SF has black people left, just poor ones. So go ahead and try to defend your crappy town. SF pisses me off on many different levels and I'm going to tell anyone who asks just how crappy it is.
Look in the mirror lately?

Mid-Market is not a black neighborhood, but it is neighborhood where a lot of drug sales go on. A dude walks up and down street for a considerable amount of time approaching people at random in an area known for drug activity for no apparent reason. So two cops doing their job approach him and ask him what he is doing. They don't man-handle him and throw him face first into a wall before frisking him, handcuffing him and throwing him in the back of a police car. They ask what he is doing, make a few jokes, and go on about their way. Good for the SFPD doing their job.

The black diaspora isn't just San Francisco. It's in Los Angeles as well. Even in Oakland, the blacks are moving out. Nor is it just California. Middle-class blacks are leaving so-called black neighborhoods and defusing into society at large. I'm not so sure that's even a problem. Racism is one of the motivating factors that perpetuates racial enclaves. Are middle-class blacks moving out because housing cost are too high and they are being driven out and can't find another suitable black enclave to reside in? Or are they voluntarily moving out of black enclaves because they don't have a preference to live in them anymore?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:22 PM

457 posts, read 756,906 times
Quote:
What's up with New Yorkers constantly trolling the SF board? From NYCtoSF to pmac6270 with lame posts.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:29 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,923 times
Default oh noooo...

Woah ... fellas ... no ... that's not what I meant.

1.) It wasn't a "black" neighborhood ... it was downtown San Francisco ... Market Street between Powell and First ... the very heart of downtown. That's anything BUT a black neighborhood. ((chuckle))

2.) In regards to the comment:

Quote:
"What you just described describes the type of racial profiling that literally EVERY police department in the nation does. Yeah it's stupid, but why point fingers at SF alone?"
What's that old saying ... "two wrongs don't make a right"?

What I'm trying to point out that when things have sunk to the point where it's alarming to a police officer that strangers are talking to one another ... then the norm is alienation.

With alienation, compassion disappears. Without compassion, people run the risk of losing a good sense of self so we're more prone to addictions and alcoholism ... anything "outside" our self that we hope will fill us... excessive television watching .. etc...

From that point, life has less meaning ... humans are social animals. Hey ... let me let an expert explain it.... (Oh, and make sure you skip the ad)

Society, Trauma, and Addiction

Old 05-24-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
With alienation, compassion disappears. Without compassion, people run the risk of losing a good sense of self so we're more prone to addictions and alcoholism ... anything "outside" our self that we hope will fill us... excessive television watching .. etc...

From that point, life has less meaning ... humans are social animals.
And then we get addicted to C-D and disappear forever.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:33 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
As a African-American female, I would gladly relocate to San Francisco area anyday from Charlotte, NC if the doggone cost of living wasnt a factor. San Francisco really is a beautful city filled with diversity, great shopping, cafe's and coffees shops, museums, culture, you name it. Gorgeous scenery I mean it does not get any better than he bay area....I actually work in banking and my manager and I frequently visit every quarter...It really is a beautiful city.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:04 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,923 times
Default hmmm ... Charlotte, NC ...

Dear "westcoastbabe"...

Suit yourself.
It IS a beautiful place .. TO VISIT. But have you ever lived here??
It's not what it seems.
It takes about a year here to start to feel the, "City Shadow."

I know Charlotte, NC ain't exactly a paragon of awareness ... but trust me, neither is San Francisco.

If you really want to feel diversity and creativity, I strongly suggest you look at the East Bay. (Berkeley, Oakland, Alameda, Albany ... etc...)

Those places aren't what they used to be neither ... but you'll feel a LOT more comfortable, less stressed, and you'll connect with more "like minds" of all skin colors in the East Bay.

San Francisco may be better than Charlotte ... but the people who left North and South Carolina, Idaho, Nebraska... et all ... moved here!
You'll not be escaping anything. In fact, you may find it harder to hold onto your job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland