Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:05 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,665,035 times

Advertisements

I was at the pier and a guy opened his trench coat and showed me many different bags of drugs, said he had it all and it looked like it. A cop in full dress uniform was only 4 feet away at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 12:38 AM

179 posts, read 412,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I was at the pier and a guy opened his trench coat and showed me many different bags of drugs, said he had it all and it looked like it. A cop in full dress uniform was only 4 feet away at the time.
Cop in full uniform only four feet away? God that was sure brazen!

Old 06-27-2012, 01:20 PM

30 posts, read 37,159 times
A lot of those "Drug Dealers" are under cover cops waiting for you to take the bait. Especially on Market St.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:52 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,793,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Land Market View Post
A lot of those "Drug Dealers" are under cover cops waiting for you to take the bait. Especially on Market St.

Which technically is entrapment... not that they (the cops) care though.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:55 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,563,693 times
Not in San Francisco but in Central California I was offered drugs a number of times. I thoroughly enjoyed each arrest I made!

Old 06-27-2012, 05:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,455,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Not in San Francisco but in Central California I was offered drugs a number of times. I thoroughly enjoyed each arrest I made!

Old 06-27-2012, 05:48 PM

30 posts, read 37,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Which technically is entrapment... not that they (the cops) care though.
I don't know about that, cops pose as prostitutes all the time.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:04 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,793,755 times
Quote:
I don't know about that, cops pose as prostitutes all the time.
Quote:
In criminal law, entrapment is conduct by a law enforcement agent inducing a person to commit an offense that the person would otherwise have been unlikely to commit.[1] In many jurisdictions, entrapment is a possible defense against criminal liability. However, there is no entrapment where a person is ready and willing to break the law and the government agents merely provide what appears to be a favorable opportunity for the person to commit the crime. For example, it is not entrapment for a government agent to pretend to be someone else and to offer, either directly or through an informant or other decoy, to engage in an unlawful transaction with the person (see sting operation). So, a person would not be a victim of entrapment if the person was ready, willing and able to commit the crime charged in the indictment whenever opportunity was afforded, and that government officers or their agents did no more than offer an opportunity.

On the other hand, if the evidence leaves a reasonable doubt whether the person had any intent to commit the crime had it not been for inducement or persuasion on the part of some government officer or agent, then the person is not guilty. For example, if a defendant had purchased illegal drugs from an undercover officer, he may be found not guilty if it is determined that the officer initiated the transaction or aggressively pressed the accused to complete it.
Entrapment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prostitution would generally fall under the first bolded part as it requires more will and planning (i.e. finding a place to do it) on the part of the solicitor. In a drug-buying case, there's the argument that the defendant could have bought drugs out of fear that the "dealer" might bother them more or even attack them if they decline, and especially when the undercover cop initiates the transaction. That may sound like BS but honestly you never know how someone will react to being offered drugs... in part because of the villainization of anything having to do with drugs in the last 30 years, there are a lot of people (believe it or not) that actually believe that all drug dealers are extremely violent and unstable people who would just as soon sell you drugs as they'd rob you. And especially in a place like Market Street in San Francisco where any given person on the street is as likely to be from the Tenderloin as they are from Tiburon, the undercover has no way of gauging what's going through the other person's head when they accept the offer.

Last edited by Nineties Flava; 06-27-2012 at 06:16 PM..

Old 06-27-2012, 06:40 PM

388 posts, read 1,019,413 times
Quote:
I don't think the bums on the streets are undercover cops...

Old 06-27-2012, 10:06 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,524,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
Have you? Every time I have gone to GGP and Haight st. Every time I am in the TL I get offers. And Market st depending on the time of day. Surprisingly I have never been offered drugs in the Mission yet.
I assume you were looking for it?? I go to GGP, including the parts near Haight, almost on a daily basis and was never offered it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland