Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:38 PM

14,720 posts, read 14,692,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Entrapment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prostitution would generally fall under the first bolded part as it requires more will and planning (i.e. finding a place to do it) on the part of the solicitor. In a drug-buying case, there's the argument that the defendant could have bought drugs out of fear that the "dealer" might bother them more or even attack them if they decline, and especially when the undercover cop initiates the transaction. That may sound like BS but honestly you never know how someone will react to being offered drugs... in part because of the villainization of anything having to do with drugs in the last 30 years, there are a lot of people (believe it or not) that actually believe that all drug dealers are extremely violent and unstable people who would just as soon sell you drugs as they'd rob you. And especially in a place like Market Street in San Francisco where any given person on the street is as likely to be from the Tenderloin as they are from Tiburon, the undercover has no way of gauging what's going through the other person's head when they accept the offer.
Right; I've never heard of undercovers going after small-time drug buyers, only the dealers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 01:36 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,782,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Right; I've never heard of undercovers going after small-time drug buyers, only the dealers.

I haven't either... I was simply responding to the scenario North Land Market brought up.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:48 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,759,682 times
Never... although I have been asked many times if I was law enforcement

My cousins visiting were offered several times in just one weekend on their first trip to California while I was showing them around... they were really surprised at how openly they were approached and more surprised that I have never been

I remember back in the 1980's... there were a group of guys hanging on the street corner of one of the first properties I managed... I would come and go as the property was being renovated and would always be friendly to everyone...

One day, I had found that someone had broken into one of the apartments and I walked to the corner and asked if they had seen anyone around the building and if they did... could they keep an eye on things...

Never had another problem... still see one of the guys all these years later... most of that group either ended up in prison or deceased...

People hanging on the street corners don't seem to last long...

Old 06-28-2012, 01:59 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,462,284 times
Yes but not here. Only in Houston and Jamaica

Oh and many many times I have been asked if I was an under cover nark...I never could understand why on earth anyone would ever think that of me

Old 06-28-2012, 10:21 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,248,521 times
Yes, I've been offered weed, shrooms, and cocaine on the street before. Locations in SF were it's happened: the Haight, Golden Gate Park, the Tenderloin, in front of the Metreon, the Castro. That's all I can think of specifically, but I've probably been offered weed a few more additional times/places too, that I don't remember.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:35 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,472,127 times
No, because I tend not to hang out in scuzzy fleabag parts of town. Perhaps you should do the same.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:10 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,248,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
No, because I tend not to hang out in scuzzy fleabag parts of town. Perhaps you should do the same.
Yes, because "scuzzy" "fleabag" areas are the only places, ever, in the history of man, that someone has randomly offered someone else drugs.

So the Castro, downtown SF, the Haight, and Golden Gate park are all "scuzzy fleabag" areas according to you?

Old 06-28-2012, 12:16 PM

30 posts, read 37,141 times
You've never heard of police going after small time drug buyers? The police raid massage parlors in SF, they hardly go after big cases their murder solving rate is like 30%. They'd rather go after petty crime it seems.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:48 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,774,203 times
The only time I was ever offered drugs (pot) by a stranger was in Belfast. I'm not kidding.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:39 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,782,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Land Market View Post
You've never heard of police going after small time drug buyers? The police raid massage parlors in SF, they hardly go after big cases their murder solving rate is like 30%. They'd rather go after petty crime it seems.
Undercovers typically are not going after small time drug buyers... obviously if the police happen to stumble upon a drug deal then they're probably going to arrest both parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland