Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 02:41 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,375,307 times

Advertisements

Not nearly enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 02:52 PM

30 posts, read 37,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Undercovers typically are not going after small time drug buyers... obviously if the police happen to stumble upon a drug deal then they're probably going to arrest both parties.
I agree but I put nothing past SFPD

Old 07-01-2012, 08:08 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,645,983 times
Never. I was born and raised in East Oakland. SPent most of my adult life in Oakland and San Leandro. Never happened to me.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:15 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,488,581 times
happens a lot in the Tenderloin

Old 07-02-2012, 04:31 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,906,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
happens a lot in the Tenderloin
There's a lot of things verbally offered up in the 'Loin - much of which has little to do with reality.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:34 PM

17,439 posts, read 28,721,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Land Market View Post
I don't know about that, cops pose as prostitutes all the time.
Interestingly, cops will never pose as transvestite prostitutes, since they tend to view that as an affront to their masculinity.

Doesn't that mean that the trannies are recieving a break?

As for the original question - lived in the Haight and was offered pot, acid, and occasionally meth and heroin. Also offered heroin and cocaine in the Mission and Tenderloin. I have zero interest in hard drugs or hallucinogens, and politely turned down said requests from dealers.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:20 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,726,987 times
I have been offered to buy weed from all different types of people in SF. From homeless people pushing shopping carts in Golden Gate park to hipsters in the Haight to weathered Cheech and Chong types to block huggers in Fillmore. People who smoke weed can spot a smoker from a mile away. If you dress very conservative or have what I call "cop swag", no one will try to sell you weed because they think you are a snitch or an undercover fed or just plain don't smoke weed. SF and the Bay Area is undoubtedly the most weed friendly metro area in the country by a long shot. In all my years in DC, I have only been offered to buy weed once from a drunk Jamaican guy in a bar and I have travelled the streets of DC thousands of times over the years. One day in SF, I will be asked if I want to buy weed at least three times from three different people. And no, most people offering you weed in SF are not undercover cops because weed is an extremely low priority for the SFPD. People smoke weed in front of the police station in SF for God's sake. It is also very easy to get a medical card. It is very cheap to attain and anybody can get one after doing a little research. The cops only nab the guys making tons of money on the streets. I once talked to a weed dealer in GGP who told me he did seven years in San Quentin for selling massive amounts of bud. But you have an exponentially higher probability of getting arrested for buying weed in NYC than SF. Ultimately, SF is a drug mecca and has been since at least the 60's. SF ranks as being one the top drug culture cities with the worst substance abuse problems in America, period, on par with even Baltimore which is basically one huge open air drug market. Anyone who has traveled the Tenderloin knows that drug abuse in SF is pretty bad to say the least.

http://trusted.md/blog/beckywinslow/...#axzz1zcIMSiha"]

Aside from weed, which is basically harmless, SF has huge problems with cocaine and prescription drug abuse. The Bay Area has always been home to massive local recreational drug trends. Back in the 60's, LSD took the Haight in San Francisco by storm. A few years ago, ecstasy or "thizz" pills as they are known locally became hugely popular in the Bay among the urban crowd during the early to mid 2000's. Today, narcotic prescription cough syrup of Promethazine with Codeine popularized by Texas rappers known as "sizzurp", and known in the Bay Area as "bo", has become extremely popular with the ghetto set (and wannabe ghetto set) in the Bay. Crack also hit San Francisco and Oakland hard when I was I kid in the 80's and early 90's.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 07-03-2012 at 08:44 PM..

Old 07-03-2012, 08:52 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,906,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post

SF has huge problems with cocaine and prescription drug abuse.
This is, predictably, what happens when a place like the Barbary Coast is invaded by rich people. They really dig the blow.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:12 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,109,479 times
Been offered right around the Los Angeles - Orange County line - The guy was selling a bag of marijuana. I declined.

I've only visited the Bay Area - perhaps if I had stayed longer - I would have a similar story.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:23 PM

15,087 posts, read 13,500,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Yes, because "scuzzy" "fleabag" areas are the only places, ever, in the history of man, that someone has randomly offered someone else drugs.

So the Castro, downtown SF, the Haight, and Golden Gate park are all "scuzzy fleabag" areas according to you?
Depends which parts of them you're in, at what time, and what you're doing while you're there. As a boring white collar type who hangs out primarily in "nice" areas, I can tell you that in all my years here, no one has so much as randomly offered me a drink of water in the city or anywhere else in the entire Bay area. But I guess I'm getting old. Hell, I'm asleep by 10:30 pm most days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland