Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 18,352 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the Bay Area soon for work and I'm wondering what the commute is really like.

Right now I'd like to live in the city if possible. SoMa is my preferred neighborhood but I'm also looking at the Mission, Bernal Heights, Potrero Hill (if you have any other suggestions, please let me know). I'm thinking it's better to avoid driving through the city just to get to the highway.

Even though my company's office is technically in downtown San Jose, I'll be working throughout the South Bay. Because of the unpredictability of my schedule, driving is pretty much the only option most of the time.

Does anyone have experience doing the daily commute between San Francisco (those areas in particular) and San Jose? How long does your commute usually last, at what times do you leave, 101 vs. 280? Any regrets about your decision to commute?

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 11:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Two words for you: 50 miles.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:29 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,925,355 times
and a LOT of traffic.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:39 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,075,505 times
a) 280 is WAY better than 101
b) SOMA is honestly mostly really dumpy and warehousy and doesn't have much in the way of normal SF neighborhood amenities, I'd look at other areas if you absolutely have to be in SF
c) yes San Jose is mostly beige suburbia but there are nice pockets here and there, honestly I'd take a good hard look at whether you can settle for living somewhere quiet and more affordable and have some space, rather than in SF which is dirty and noisy and crowded and really expensive and 50 miles away. I'd vastly prefer SF myself but you have to put up with a lot living there, and a crappy commute and a high gasoline bill would make me seriously consider living somewhere like Los Gatos or San Mateo.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:53 PM

802 posts, read 2,264,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Two words for you: 50 miles.
And even more if you take I-280 - 60 miles each way would be a better estimate.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:19 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,446,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ord2sfo View Post
I'm moving to the Bay Area soon for work and I'm wondering what the commute is really like.

Right now I'd like to live in the city if possible. SoMa is my preferred neighborhood but I'm also looking at the Mission, Bernal Heights, Potrero Hill (if you have any other suggestions, please let me know). I'm thinking it's better to avoid driving through the city just to get to the highway.

Even though my company's office is technically in downtown San Jose, I'll be working throughout the South Bay. Because of the unpredictability of my schedule, driving is pretty much the only option most of the time.

Does anyone have experience doing the daily commute between San Francisco (those areas in particular) and San Jose? How long does your commute usually last, at what times do you leave, 101 vs. 280? Any regrets about your decision to commute?

Thanks for the help.
I drove from the northern tip of SF to downtown San Jose for several months. Definitely agree that 280 is the only remotely sane way to do it. As a general rule, I avoid 101 as much as possible. If you were to do this, expect to consistently spend about 1.5 hours each way. Worst is that ridiculous merge onto the 101 in SF around 10th street, then sluggish going on 280 until you get to the 380 split...and going back, you'll get the same thing of course, especially due to all the people trying to get across the Bay bridge. So I really don't know what hour you could go to avoid it - in general, if you went a lot earlier (and I mean like merging onto the freeway at 6 or so), I would think you should do better. I definitely did not find it sustainable...would not do it for long.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:33 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
My friend commutes from Marina District to Santa Clara, it takes him one hour each way using 101. He used to live in Santa Clara, but wanted to be in the city, so he moved to Marina District and is very happy with his decision.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:52 AM

23,518 posts, read 23,995,040 times
My neighbor commutes from SF into Santa Clara (Intel) every other day (he has remote work arrangements) and he takes 280. He mentions that the commute can take anywhere from 50 to 90 minutes each way. He tries to leave during "off business hours" (7 AM or after 9:30 AM in the morning and from 4:00 PM until after 7:00 PM in the afternoon).

Old 08-01-2012, 12:49 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,909 times
caltrain.com - Just like the Metra in Chicago. There are express trains (baby bullet trains) for the morning and evening commute. They stop at just 4 stations between SF and San Jose.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:52 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
For a little while I was commuting from South San Francisco to San Jose, near Trimble. My route was 380 W - 280 S - 880 N to the Brokaw exit, and the reverse on the way home.

There was only one heavy spot, and that was the 880 leg. Everything else was 65+. I could typically do the whole drive in under an hour even during peak times. However, the biggest problem for you will be getting out of San Francisco. If you're not close to a freeway, preferably 280, it takes an eternity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland