Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 07:26 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
And what part of the state are you from or familiar with where there's less racism? Please point me to it. I've spoken on the topic of Bay Area racism a lot on here, and not just about racism against blacks. The Bay Area and California in general have a very racist history dating back to the mid 1800's.

That being said, you sound like you had some unrealistic expectations about the Bay before you came here. Out of curiosity what part of the bay did/do you live in?
This is exactly what I was thinking. Nobody is immune to racism, discrimination (of gays, blacks, Hispanics, Muslims, even Asians or people with kids, the elderly..... you name it)...anywhere and everywhere. I've been called a racist name (chin*) in my own neighborhood (Richmond District) in San Francisco! I'm never surprised or shocked anymore...very angry, absolutely (still bugs me to this day!!). It doesn't speak volumes about an entire population, however. Outspoken racists and bigots reside in every city/town/village across the nation.

Once, when my husband and I were looking for a two bedroom apt in the City, I called a property owner about an apartment and he asked us how many people? I told him a married couple and one child--he said ...Oh, no kids, no kids...sorry". I should have reported but I guess everyone has experienced this kind of thing from time to time (hopefully a very rare occurrence).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 07:26 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The biggest surprise to me is that they would stay at the Travelodge.
Usually the promoter/club handle the band's accommodations; they probably have a pre-negotiated rate with the hotel chain or something.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:22 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
People from outside of the Bay Area use this sort of event for trolling. People who have actually lived in SF know that it's a fairly segregated city, especially for blacks, who are only something like 6% of SF's population. This happening is shameful but it's not that surprising, a lot of people in SF are just not used to dealing with black people who have money, all they see in their minds is homeless people, or people from Hunter's Point, or people from Oakland, i.e. scary black Oakland gangsters. SF is a huge international travel destination but people in SF just cannot break out of their provincial mindset that every black person is scary and due for marginalization. At least in Oakland people are used to dealing with the large black middle class there.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:26 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
People from outside of the Bay Area use this sort of event for trolling. People who have actually lived in SF know that it's a fairly segregated city, especially for blacks, who are only something like 6% of SF's population. This happening is shameful but it's not that surprising, a lot of people in SF are just not used to dealing with black people who have money, all they see in their minds is homeless people, or people from Hunter's Point, or people from Oakland, i.e. scary black Oakland gangsters. SF is a huge international travel destination but people in SF just cannot break out of their provincial mindset that every black person is scary and due for marginalization. At least in Oakland people are used to dealing with the large black middle class there.
SF fear of black people re-entering 'their' City, perhaps? All the laws in the world can't preclude the crass behavior of those who choose to discriminate against those who don't look like one's idea of the 'chosen' ones. Scary thing is, there are increasingly more rationalizations for why this sort of practice is not only OK, but generally preferred. Welcome to 2012. Certainly, we want to promote a business-friendly environment, yes?

Old 10-22-2012, 12:58 PM

56 posts, read 117,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
He also said "those people" too, but who's paying attention.

What's up San Fran? I thought you guys were "peace, love, and cupcakes".

San Francisco Travelodge Employee Accused Of Not Taking Black Musicians' Credit Cards
As silly as it is to not accept a credit card from someone based on their race, its equally as silly to assume a whole entire city is racist because of the actions of one hotel owner.

Also, let's not assume that just because the black community in SF has been historically marginalized, that the people who now live in the city are automatically racist, or they supported those actions, or that they are happy with the current state of affairs. I know about the shady history this city has, e.g. the "redevelopment" of the Fillmore....but as an individual living in the present day, what realistically can I do about it? Unfortunately I can't go into the projects and save the black community. The best I can do is just live with respect, tolerance, and dignity. And that's what most people here actually do, despite the occasional anecdote to the contrary.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:11 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
I'm a bit curious about who is doing the racist actions ....... mostly whites, or mostly Asians? In my experience Asians are much more racist than whites.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:18 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,546 times
What's the big deal about this? The manager must have had terrible experience in the past with this demographic probably disputing the transaction later/ using fraudulent cards. It's his business and he has the right to deny service to whoever he feels won't pay up/ cause trouble.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:35 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
What's the big deal about this? The manager must have had terrible experience in the past with this demographic probably disputing the transaction later/ using fraudulent cards. It's his business and he has the right to deny service to whoever he feels won't pay up/ cause trouble.
not true if theirs debit/credit cards had the required financial balance needed to book the room.

the hotel is going to be sued for a civil right violation mark my words.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:08 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
And anyone has the right to use their free speech to criticize the hotel. Just because something might be legal or in a legal gray area doesn't mean anyone criticizing it should be censored. We're a democracy.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:11 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
You mean "those people".

I'm really, really surprised that THIS type of info is coming out of the SECOND "brotherly love" city in the country.

Not cool. Y'all better school Mr. Foreigner on how we do things HERE.
I need respond to this as it needs some clearing up. There is little "brotherly lovey" about SF these days. That's the reputation the city earned in the 60's and one which fast disappeared during the 80's. Now my bay area expertise is on the other side of the bay but there are SF natives here who can tell you SF truths better than I but I can tell you this, the real SF is not what's portrayed and not what tourists see when they're here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland