Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2012, 02:52 PM

5 posts, read 23,725 times

Advertisements

In case you haven't heard, employees for the above mentioned stores are on strike right now because they want more benefits. They're paying the union to send workers.

This is crazy for three reasons:

1) The market managers cannot possibly afford to give them benefits.
2) If the employees want benefits, they could always go to a different job. I personally think it's crazy to expect to receive so much in exchange for working for the local store, unless perhaps they're a manager.
3) Obama will give them healthcare. I'm not saying I approve of Obama's healthcare bill. I don't. Romney's idea of healthcare is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 03:14 PM

193 posts, read 458,628 times
I don't know what that store is, how many locations they have or how much of a profit they make but I can see both sides. Walmart employees are planning a massive strike on black Friday because of pay/benefits. Yes you can say "don't work there then" however a LOT of walmart employees collect welfare and food stamps and other social services which puts a drain on society as a whole because walmart is more concerned with lining their pockets than paying a livable wage so it comes down to you, me and everyone else who pays taxes ALSO paying to support these people because walmart doesn't want to pay... we subsidize walmart's payroll, they get subsidized labor...nice. Some stores/companies cannot afford to pay more or they go out of business, but if you are making hundreds, or thousands times for money in markups on chinese trash like walmart does that argument doesn't hold much water. If I was walmart I would say the same thing to these people, go work somewhere else then... some other desperate individual will come fill your pisition in this economy BWAHAHAHA now get back to collecting carts and folding shirts! while I laugh at hand over fist profits being made, that's business plain and simple so I can see both points of view.

Upon looking it up I found

Quote:
workers said they were opposing Raley's efforts to cut wages and benefits. The company said the terms it sought to impose would freeze pay increases for two years and eliminate some premium pay, without affecting health coverage.
We don't know if wages and benefits were indeed being cut or frozen. The company wanted to eliminate premium pay, this usually entails work on holidays, or overtime rates on holidays... so they want the work but they don't want to pay...seems legit.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:00 PM

23,544 posts, read 24,049,201 times
I sympathize with these workers, but I also realize that the stores really need to watch costs to be competitive, or they can go out of business potentially. I hope it gets worked out on both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland