Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,722,324 times

Advertisements

That's a safe assumption, Doc. Hard to be demonized by positive press ain't it?

You is on a roll this morning, Doc.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:25 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,013,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
That's a safe assumption, Doc. Hard to be demonized by positive press ain't it?

You is on a roll this morning, Doc.
It's good to be able to pick what's good and legitimate press, and what's a hack job based on the simple question of "Does it boost my city?"

Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 AM

36,665 posts, read 67,596,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post

Excellent post. I've tried to argue this before, that the Oakland middle class is a thing of the past
This applies to all large coastal cities. How is Oakland any different?

Old 03-19-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This applies to all large coastal cities. How is Oakland any different?
In the other cities they were priced out, in Oakland they were "crimed" out.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
It's good to be able to pick what's good and legitimate press, and what's a hack job based on the simple question of "Does it boost my city?"

I think I will go with Jade's observation, that when speaking of crime, SFGate speaks of Oakland in general, but of the small districst in SF when they do discuss crime in their fair city by the Bay.

I recognize a "Hack Job" when I see one, Doc.

Last edited by Senno; 03-19-2013 at 08:52 AM..

Old 03-19-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
In the other cities they were priced out, in Oakland they were "crimed" out.
Looks like the Middle Class is still there in Oakland, Doc.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

In fact, more may consider themselves as Middle Class due to the relatively lower price of housing in Oakland compared to the Bay Area. And if a person is happy to consider themselves middle class, then so am I.

Last edited by Yac; 03-22-2013 at 07:18 AM..

Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Looks like the Middle Class is still there in Oakland, Doc.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

In fact, more may consider themselves as Middle Class due to the relatively lower price of housing in Oakland compared to the Bay Area. And if a person is happy to consider themselves middle class, then so am I.
According to your graphs, Oakland has lower middle class populations than California, and the United States on average. Additionally, the incomes close to the poverty line (around $37,000 per household), seem to be HIGHER in Oakland, than California or the U.S on average.

You're proving my point.

Last edited by Yac; 03-22-2013 at 07:18 AM..

Old 03-19-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I think I will go with Jade's observation, that when speaking of crime, SFGate speaks of Oakland in general, but of the small district in SF when they do discuss crime in their fair city by the Bay.

I recognize a "Hack Job" when I see one, Doc.
You're calling Sunset or Potrero small districts? No one who actually lives here would mistake Sunset for anything else besides S.F.

You're definitely from the valley.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:45 AM

No I am not. They are still there. Let's go ask em if due to the lower COLA they might consider themselves as middle class. That's your assignment for the day Doc. Interview actual people in Oakland. I can't as I'm in Fresno. Those on the forums tell me they are happy, though. I do assume I'm mostly speaking to middle class people for the most part.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 AM

119 posts, read 184,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseHammlin View Post
You can check the schools in Oakland and compare it to the Bay Area with this website:

School Performance Maps
Fun map! Are these based on test scores or parent reviews? I remember when I got my daughter into her current school I was a little worried cause it wasn't one of the school everyone was talking about and dying to get into. And while it had very good test scores it had almost no parent reviews on any of the sites. Then she started there and it's been fantastic. I almost feel like it's a well kept secret or something. They have my daughters school as an eight which is good but personally I think it's actually better. They have John Muir as a one. My daughter went there for pre K through the SFUSD free pre K for all program ( really under used program with lots of open spaces, and it's open to all in many school regardless of income), and it was actually a decent school. I was surprised. However from what I understand it was one of those schools that the district threatened to close if it didn't improve. I think with it's makeover and new principal it's done well and deserves a better score.

They have Sanchez as a three! That one I have to agree with. It's really close to me but I didn't apply for that one. Wouldn't have been surprised if that one got a one. Harvey Milk Civil Rights Academy could have had a better score in my opinion. Very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland