Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 10:25 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,011,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
We do seem to be the safest country to invest in. Some of those people find investing in Oakland to be a safe bet, I suppose. Demand for properties in Oakland. Desire to invest in Oakland. Whether they live there or rent the house out, right?

Will you make up your mind if you are "not very bullish" or "not bullish" about Oakland please?
I don't know what every person's "individual" desire is to live in Oakland, but it is a city of hundreds of thousands of people, I'm sure some people do want to live there, just not myself.

As for your question, let's just say I wouldn't spend my own hard earned money to buy in Oakland right now. As an investor, when I send out my dollars, I treat them like peons. They go out and get other dollars, pro-create, make families, grow bigger, and continue to make their group bigger.

I don't send my dollars out to get butchered and slaughtered in Oakland real estate. With high crime, poor schools, high poverty, high homelessness, and a gang war currently going on, it's not exactly a place where I'd place my money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 10:30 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
I don't send my dollars out to get butchered and slaughtered in Oakland real estate. With high crime, poor schools, high poverty, high homelessness, and a gang war currently going on, it's not exactly a place where I'd place my money.
And yet Oakland's real estate prices and rental rates are through the roof meaning investment property owners are profitting exponentially---butchering notwithstanding.

Does that upset you?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And yet Oakland's real estate prices and rental rates are through the roof meaning investment property owners are profitting exponentially---butchering notwithstanding.

Does that upset you?
No, it doesn't upset me that imaginary investors in Oakland are profiting "exponentially".

Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
Quote:
I don't know what every person's "individual" desire is to live in Oakland, but it is a city of hundreds of thousands of people, I'm sure some people do want to live there, just not myself.
Well darn. I thought you had a handle on it and thought it was tulip mania all over again.

Quote:
As for your question, let's just say I wouldn't spend my own hard earned money to buy in Oakland right now. As an investor, when I send out my dollars, I treat them like peons. They go out and get other dollars, pro-create, make families, grow bigger, and continue to make their group bigger.
Pretty typical so far.

Quote:
What were you hanging out on the court steps for then? You didn't have something going on with a judge and jury did ya?

You did say Oakland has a cheap price point earlier in the thread.

So you were scared out of the market basically?

You might be missing some fine investments.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:50 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't upset me that imaginary investors in Oakland are profiting "exponentially".
Indeed.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:

So you were scared out of the market basically?

You might be missing some fine investments.
Pretty much. The market took a huge turn in 2012. So I took my dollars out of that market. The best times to buy in the past 3-4 years would have been the beginning of 2009, and the end of 2011.

I may be missing out on some "hidden" gems, but experience and my accomplishments as an investors say otherwise.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:59 AM

mod cut

Oakland really is as dangerous as the media portrays. I've never seen anything on KTVU, SFGate, Contra Costa Times, etc that could be construed as slanderous or untrue about Oakland.

I think the people who suggest that the "media" is purposefully distorting news stories about Oakland in some effort to tarnish the city must be wearing tin foil hats.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-20-2013 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you refer to has been deleted

Old 02-14-2013, 10:59 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
Quote:
Now ya slippery poster, you. You thought it was speculators, now ya say they are imaginary.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Now ya slippery poster, you. You thought it was speculators, now ya say they are imaginary.
The ones who are profiting "exponentially" are definitely imaginary. The speculators are real though.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:01 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
So the collective experience of countless Oaklanders who have lived in the city for years is all a lie. Got ya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland