Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 01:07 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,713,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"None of us thinks...", btw, OP. (Subject of sentence = "none", a singular noun.)

If you're into people who are in banking and investing, go to lunch in the financial district, and rub elbows with those types. Or go to one of the watering holes there after work. Why aren't you meeting people like that through your own work, anyway? Are you unemployed, or employed outside your profession?
A lot of insurance types hang out there also. He might accidentally run into an insurance adjuster...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 01:07 AM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhankypants View Post
I don't have a chip on my shoulder because of my ivy league degree
It really didn't come off that way.

Quote:
It's just that's the experience/community I've had for the past 6 years and I feel comfortable with.
It kinda sounds like you wanna stay in your own little bubble to me. Maybe it's time to expand your comfort zone.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 AM

28 posts, read 41,607 times
^^ Agree.

I don’t think OP conveyed he’s better than anyone. I feel like pple share their school background on here as a point of reference not to impress anyone. (Besides, is anyone really impressed by schooling other than our parents and at job interviews?) He didn’t say that he ONLY wants to hang out with other Ivy-league educated folk. Just sounds like he wants to connect with people with similar experiences. I’m doing the same thing- looking up new mom groups in the Bay Area because I figure it’ll be easier to meet people in a similar stage of life. Just makes a big transition easier IMO.

OP, if you haven’t already you may want to connect with your school’s alum group in the Bay Area.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:20 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,275,827 times
Quote:
Why the disdain here? I don't have a chip on my shoulder because of my ivy league degree. It's just that's the experience/community I've had for the past 6 years and I feel comfortable with. None of us think we are better or lead more fulfilling lives than anybody else. Would it be any different if I said I was an artist and wanted to hang out with artsy people???
Actually, it would. You would've gotten the exact same response if you bragged about being a Julliard alum.

Next time, try leading with: "I'm an intelligent, hard-working HUMAN BEING that's looking to meet other intelligent people with similar values."

Old 02-05-2013, 09:30 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,135 times
I'm not convinced the original post was serious.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:51 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,457 times

American Psycho - Intro to Patrick Bateman - YouTube

Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 AM

919 posts, read 1,782,153 times
Quote:
I am a young professional..25, Ivy league educated, I do like hanging out with other Ivy Leaguers or "intellectual" types working in Banking/Consulting/etc ... it's not an elitist thing but they are a bit easier to make a connection with because of similar backgrounds. (does that make sense??)

I've heard the Marina is a good place but frankly I'm not a douche bag, frat boy and I am not into dumb sorority girls. I am looking to meet attractive, high educated and well put together girls that might also be working professionals. (I'm a serious hard working guy)

Where do young professional college grads from ivy league or stanford live within the city?
Find the most pretentious people, ask them where they live, and act accordingly.....you should fit right in....

Old 02-05-2013, 12:00 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,153 times
Quote:
Why the disdain here? I don't have a chip on my shoulder because of my ivy league degree. It's just that's the experience/community I've had for the past 6 years and I feel comfortable with. None of us think we are better or lead more fulfilling lives than anybody else. Would it be any different if I said I was an artist and wanted to hang out with artsy people???

Thank you I will check out Russian Hill. Do you have any thoughts on Cow Hollow?
Why the disdain? Didn't you go to college to figure that out?????

Old 02-05-2013, 12:57 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times
Hmmm ... Ivy League and banking eh? And all this time I thought it was a stereotype.

Miyake Do Karate - YouTube

Old 02-05-2013, 04:44 PM

4 posts, read 4,396 times
i'm not going to argue with you. if don't get it you dont' get it. There is this whole weird aura of guilt, entitlement, inadequacy, narcissism ambition etc. that goes along with the ivy league group -- it's not all roses. i'm not being facetious when I say (most of us) don't think we're better than anybody else -- not the janitor and not the accountant etc. The reason i consistently have to post that disclaimer is because people jump to attack anyone mentioning their degree as "being elitist". all I want to know is what area has people that have a similar experience to my own and would understand my motivations and ambitions and problems. If you've never been to an Ivy League school maybe that is why it is so hard to understand why that similar experience is at all meaningful. but once you have you would get my point.

and i could care less about my grammar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland