Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:41 AM

386 posts, read 797,624 times

Advertisements

I also forgot to mention another favorite: taking the ferry to or from Oakland. It's expensive but on a beautiful sunny day, it's a nice way to view the SF skyline and Oakland harbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 07:55 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Or, more realistically, priced out by those who are actively trying to force you to leave...

Gentrification is just dandy when you're just VISITING a place and enjoying its amenities on a Friday night.

It's really not so nice when all your new neighbors want you to leave and make room for all THEIR yuppie friends at the bar you used to hang out at before it got crowded...

Not everyone has the means/patience/strength/resolve to "tough it out"
wealthier families pay more in taxes and use relatively less city and county services . this allows the city to things like hire more police fireman and teachers.
oakland is better off as more wealthier people decide to live in oakland.just my opinion.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Not disagreeing with any of that.

I am just saying that gentrification has unpleasant side effects and that it's not all sunshine and roses for the people who can't do anything to stop it.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:49 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,879 times
On one hand it's gentrification and the displacement of poorer original neighbor folks but on the other hand no gentrification usually means the continuation of a ghetto hood.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:54 PM

74 posts, read 149,646 times
A real estate blog named Oakland the most exciting city in the USA based on a somewhat random set of criteria:

1. Oakland, CA: Surprisingly, Oakland ranked as Movoto’s No.1 most exciting city based on 10 pieces of criteria.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

San Francisco was number 3.

Last edited by Yac; 05-21-2013 at 07:21 AM..

Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,990,690 times
Oakland is a terrific city and I value the SF Bay Area's layout more than anywhere else in the US IMO. We have great suburbs and 3 terrific up and coming cities that are all different from each other with SF, SJ, and Oak IMO.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:55 AM

23,539 posts, read 24,041,250 times
My wife and I visited Oakland Museum of CA again this weekend (last time was probably 8-9 months ago) and the visit reminded me of how wonderful and underrated this museum is.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:55 PM

587 posts, read 1,411,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
One murder for a city that has been a tourist destination for over a century? I think that's pretty good!
What are you talking about?! A basic search on the site will show you that both Oakland and San Francisco had comparable murder counts in raw numbers for years and years. Yes, SF is twice the size of Oakland, but most murders in SF occur in the poorly publicized ghetto areas. So a bad area in San Francisco historically is the same as a bad one in Oakland. It didn't help that SF was trying to tourists on to thinking it was somehow like a giant suburb than any other American big city where you shouldn't be sleepwalking.

San Francisco has undergone massive amounts of gentrification which gives SF the edge. Gang injunctions and tearing down many of the projects has made SF's crime rate drop in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland