Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 11:36 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,071,134 times

Advertisements

Also, forgot to add as the economy grows worse unfortunately you will see increased criminal activity in Oakland/Richmond. So I wouldn't be happy of the position Oakland/Richmond placed at this year just wait until next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 11:53 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,549,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
What do you mean by LA? LA area? Or LA city? Because LA is enormous. If you're from Compton or Watts it will be as bad as it has always been, if you hang out in Irvine or Beverly hills then you're safe. LA still has a massive gang problem and I wouldn't call it "safe" but it's large enough to spread out the problems in pockets. Just as with any city the violence is concentrated in certain area's.
I was referring to LA city, not Compton/Beverly Hills/Anaheim/etc. You are right that LA is enormous (LA area for sure... but even LA city is enormous too) & the problems are concentrated in certain areas. Since it's so big and spread out, I've found it very easy to avoid the bad areas. The nice part about LA & SoCal in general is that the uglier and more decrepit the architecture is, the more likely the area is going to suck, and when driving around areas start to get progressively ugly, little by little. I haven't found the same to be true for SF/Bay Area -- some areas with very pretty buildings can be bad. (The Mission comes to mind.)

Old 12-15-2008, 11:56 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,549,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I saw a guy beating up a girl in Westwood and when we started filming it he ran over and smashed the passenger window trying to pull the camera away from me. My friend has trouble backing up so i opened the door an jumped out of the car to box with him and then she managed to get the car moving so i grabbed back the camera and jumped back in the car.

Yeah, there is PLENTY of violence in LA. And that was in the GOOD part of town.
Why were you filming that? That's asking for trouble. I see fights break out in SF all the time and I get as far away from them as I can.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:00 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post

Taboo2, crime happens every where. Before I left the Bay area they had a restaurant that I was at just the day before Milano in Oakland being robbed in the day light. I was robbed in Oakland and so was my husband. A friend of my husband's was car jacked at gun point. Look up how many sex offenders live in Oakland. Compare that to other cities or LA. Also, the areas you mentioned are not that bad you are right get deeper into Oakland and or hang out over the weekend or late at night and tell me if it is still safe (just head down towards the airport). I don't think so. Would you send your kids to a public school there? Let's be honest. People who visit any place during the day thinks a place is nice. There are parts of the Mission area that look great DURING THE DAY. But I wouldn't live there.
That is sad that you experienced so much crime while here. I experienced all that crime and i never even LIVED In LA.

There are not That many truly dangerous parts in Oakland. No more than SF or La has. I did the post office on Evans in SF and that was truly nasty area. The housing complex near the fillmore was gruesomely dangerous.

Well let's see. My friend just bought a house on Edes avenue near SL blvd and near 98th avenue. Was nice enough over there.

Do you even know where High and Foothill is (of course we were there at night, sleeping over) Or Eastmont mall? or Durant Square?

I don't send my kids to public school anywhere. i went to private and so are they. But thanks for asking.

Yeah and my best friend lives in the Mission and I have been there at ALL hours of the night. Never saw any crimes. 24th and Bartlett. I love going to the bars( Docs Clocks and the Beauty bar, Foreign Cinema, lots of fun.) over there and visiting friends in the neighborhood.
Quote:

Again, Carson is not LA. Westwood and Beverly Hills are rare places that one will find crime. Beverly Hills jail doesn't have an overcrowding problem unlike Oakland. Those areas are not know for drug or prostitution trafficing. Bring up some facts please.
Beverly Hills is a rarity kinda like Ross in marin county. Has nothing to do with the rest of the area. There are still hookers on Hollywood blvd. Ever been there? i stayed there back before the Roosevelt was made over. yeah hookers galore. Big deal.

Carson is in LA. A suburb but most definitly still in LA. Just like Long beach is. I never even lived in LA, and i saw all that crime just visiting friends and family often in socal. Amazing, i fear if i lived there i could be attacked all the time.
2 of my friends live in nice areas beverly hills PO and laurel canyon/wonderland. Family lives in La Canada Flintridge so that is nice enough as well. But the rest of the area sucks just as much as up here. I even saw gangbangers at the pony rides at Griffith park 2 weeks ago.

NIIICE- a family trip to the zoo with our gats and gang rags.
Whatev.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Why were you filming that? That's asking for trouble. I see fights break out in SF all the time and I get as far away from them as I can.
Westwood the trendy diva that it is, is full of irrational wife-beaters apparerently. Think they go to UCLA? ha ha.

I wasn't personally filming it, my friend was (law schooler). I believe her next step was to call the cops- but he went ballistic and ran over and attacked ME and her window before she could get it together and drive off.

I personally would have preferred to just fight him, which is why i jumped out of the car to knock some sense into the wife-beater (I am also licensed carrier of pepper spray), but when your ride is yelling at you to GET BACK IN THE CAR and her window was already shattered and most of all, I didnt have any other way home- I felt it was not my car, not my boyfriend and not really my problem- so i complied.

So imagine- this is the nice part of town where the goody goodies are. At least in the ghettos, you know people are crazy.

I knew drug dealers at the legacy apartments in westwood as well.

Crime is everywhere, it just might go undetected.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:41 PM

Default Pasadena dangerous?

Toddler taken hostage while his mother is robbed - 12/14/08 - Los Angeles-Southern California-LA Breaking News, Weather, Traffic, Sports - abc7.com (http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=6555240 - broken link)

Yes crime happens everywhere.

PASADENA (CNS) -- A baby boy was held hostage while his mother was forced to turn over cash and jewelry to robbers described as being in their 60s, Pasadena police said.
The 25-year-old mother was walking toward Allendale Park in the 300 block of Allendale Road, carrying her one-year-old son, when a woman in her 60s approached, asking for money. When the mother declined, the woman grabbed her by the arm and forced her into a late model, red SUV or Jeep, said Pasadena police Lt. Chris Russ.
The driver of the SUV and the female robber drove the victim and her baby to a local bank and demanded that the victim withdraw "all her money," according to Russ. After she complied, the robbers drove to her home, where they held her baby boy in the SUV while she went into the house to retrieve her jewelry, Russ said.
When she returned with the jewelry, the robbers released her son and drove away, said Russ.

The suspects were not reported to be armed and it was not clear how the kidnappers were able to force the victim into their vehicle.
Both suspects sought by police for kidnapping and robbery were described as in their 60s. The woman was described as about 5 feet-5 inches tall and 200 pounds, with grey hair and wearing a grey shirt.
The man was described as about 5 feet-5 inches tall and 165 pounds, balding with grey hair and wearing a striped shirt and black pants.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:12 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,478,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
There are not That many truly dangerous parts in Oakland. No more than SF or La has. I did the post office on Evans in SF and that was truly nasty area. The housing complex near the fillmore was gruesomely dangerous.

Well let's see. My friend just bought a house on Edes avenue near SL blvd and near 98th avenue. Was nice enough over there.

Do you even know where High and Foothill is (of course we were there at night, sleeping over) Or Eastmont mall? or Durant Square?
I disagree about the Oakland assessment. Personally, I like Oakland, but there's definitely a much, much larger percentage of city land that would be considered the 'hood there than there is in SF or LA. That's really the only part I'm at when I'm over there visiting friends or getting food, and its pretty vast. Not that all of it is a war zone or anything, but about 50% of Oakland's land space is hood/gang territory.

I have absolutely NO idea how you found the post office on Evans to be gruesome (unless you drove past it and up the hill into the projects) while you found 98th/Edes to be "nice enough." That's a pretty rough neighborhood right there (I know b/c my favorite BBQ spot is right at that corner) and I find it surprising that Evans intimidated you if that didn't. Aesthetically, near the post office all that is visible is relatively newer offices and townhouses; crime in both spots is comparable in reality.

Now Eastmont Mall is a definite hot spot. Take a look:
YouTube - East Oakland Shooting

I've been there plenty of times in the daytime and it is really no big deal. But the same goes for a lot of Hunters Point & Fillmoe, etc. 90% of the time you won't be bothered in any of these neighborhoods if you stay cool and mind your business, and don't draw attention to yourself. You just need to be alert b/c drama happens more regularly in these places than it does in lower crime neighborhoods.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:15 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,478,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Yeah, I gotta agree. I wouldn't recommend filming anyone committing a violent act unless you're prepared to deal with an obviously violent individual who is already fired up. That's just asking for it. But if you do have the ability to whoop some coward publicly beating his wife and you're armed and willing to accept the consequences, then go for it.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:16 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,291,591 times
Quote:
City Boy, I am not from Oakland and proud of it. I lived there for 6 years of my 12 year stay in the Bay Area. Know too much about Oakland and saw it through its changes (some good some bad and some things changed whiles others just stayed the same and will probably not change).
Where in Oakland did you live?

Quote:
Am not brainwashed maybe you are. Am tired of people closing their eyes to the crime situation in the Bay.
Um, you're the one acting like San Francisco does not have crime. Nobody is closing their eyes. But people like you buy into the media hype that all the crime happens in Oakland, when in reality SF has almost 100 murders per year and 70% go unsolved. So again yes you're brainwashed.

Quote:
Don't be defensive, where is Compton, Westwood, Beverly Hills, all the places that were named in previous posts in terms of criminal activity compared to Oakland/Richmond? Facts are facts. CityBoy how long have you lived in LA? When was the last time you were there? People talk about LA as if they lived there.
If you think Oakland is worse than Compton you've never been to either place. I don't care what some FBI crime stats say. Also I was just in LA last weekend. My sister lives in Mid City. I know about LA i've been going there all my life for the past 25 years. My sister grew up there, I know what goes on there and the gang situation in Mid City and plenty of area's is bad. Very bad.

Quote:
Why do people like to compare the Oakland Hills to be like Beverly Hills. It is not and will never be. In today's economy tell me if those properties in the Oakland Hills are still worth 1 mill. Don't think so, even MC Hammer wouldn't debate me on this. Like all cities every area has its good and bad side. Even Compton, Inglewood, Oakland has a good side. But most of Oakland has bad parts. Don't get me to start naming the sections. Even the people in Oakland are straight ghetto (not all but the majority).
MC Hammer never lived in the Oakland hills, what are you talking about? His mansion was in Fremont. Shows how much you know of anything. To top it off. Nobody is comparing Beverly Hills to the Oakland Hills. Saying the Majority of people in Oakland are ghetto shows you're just ignorant. Yes Tom Hanks is "ghetto".

Quote:
Taboo2, crime happens every where. Before I left the Bay area they had a restaurant that I was at just the day before Milano in Oakland being robbed in the day light. I was robbed in Oakland and so was my husband. A friend of my husband's was car jacked at gun point. Look up how many sex offenders live in Oakland. Compare that to other cities or LA. Also, the areas you mentioned are not that bad you are right get deeper into Oakland and or hang out over the weekend or late at night and tell me if it is still safe (just head down towards the airport). I don't think so. Would you send your kids to a public school there? Let's be honest. People who visit any place during the day thinks a place is nice. There are parts of the Mission area that look great DURING THE DAY. But I wouldn't live there.

When I was comparing SF to Oakland/Richmond it is true that 80% of SanFran has no problem. Oakland/Richmond overall has a huge problem.

Again, Carson is not LA. Westwood and Beverly Hills are rare places that one will find crime. Beverly Hills jail doesn't have an overcrowding problem unlike Oakland. Those areas are not know for drug or prostitution trafficing. Bring up some facts please.
This is comedy and sad. You're scared of your own shadow. The influx of suburban whites back into Oakland must be afraid for their lives. Like I mentioned before, I love people who are scared of places like Oakland it keeps the City from turning into the shell of it's former self like SF

Old 12-15-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I disagree about the Oakland assessment. Personally, I like Oakland, but there's definitely a much, much larger percentage of city land that would be considered the 'hood there than there is in SF or LA. That's really the only part I'm at when I'm over there visiting friends or getting food, and its pretty vast. Not that all of it is a war zone or anything, but about 50% of Oakland's land space is hood/gang territory.

I have absolutely NO idea how you found the post office on Evans to be gruesome (unless you drove past it and up the hill into the projects) while you found 98th/Edes to be "nice enough." That's a pretty rough neighborhood right there (I know b/c my favorite BBQ spot is right at that corner) and I find it surprising that Evans intimidated you if that didn't. Aesthetically, near the post office all that is visible is relatively newer offices and townhouses; crime in both spots is comparable in reality.
I was at the post office quite often for business purposes and i had friends who worked at the examiner near there. It was the ghetto right nextdoor. Not the post office- but the surrounding area. I once had to take my child to use the restroom at the shell right there and a hooker came out with a john and the bathroom was the most disgusting i had ever seen (this includes truck stops). Needles and condoms everywhere. LOVELY neighborhood.

The house off Edes is quite nice and the neighborhood although a bit run down was very family oriented. I think that is the difference. Poor families are still families. I found Hunters Point worse than The mission and Oakland.

Quote:
Now Eastmont Mall is a definite hot spot. Take a look:
YouTube - East Oakland Shooting
Well i am speaking of when there was a functioning MALL there. Shambles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland